William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
I guess it really does not matter there is just too much talent there not too score buckets every game. I wish we had more stay at home defensive dmen who play a solid no mistake type of game.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I think leafs sign all 3 this summer. We know marner and Matthew's were a big part of Tavares pitch so those 2 for sure stay

Reactions: PromisedLand

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
the season goes from October-April, there's a reason there's 82 games, the Elite players produce at that clip all season.
Bs rationalization. Do you understand development curves for young players? Obviously not.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
His speed and agility push defenders back on their heels and it opens up tons of space for Matthews.

When Brown was put with Matthews that line was basically a non factor offensively.
Brown seemed to have a real hard time finding chemistry last year, not sure if was because he bounced around, but he didn’t seem to fit with a myriad of combinations.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Strawman argument. I said no such thing

honestly surprised you even included January Marner only had 5 points in 11 games in January if you really wanted to make a statement about Marner being Elite January doesn't help. his last 30 games after that he scored 34 points so we'll see if Marner's last isn't just a hot stretch like Nylanders was. until you play 82 games at an Elite level your not Elite, 30 games doesn't prove anything.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
honestly surprised you even included January Marner only had 5 points in 11 games in January if you really wanted to make a statement about Marner being Elite January doesn't help. his last 30 games after that he scored 34 points so we'll see if Marner's last isn't just a hot stretch like Nylanders was. until you play 82 games at an Elite level your not Elite, 30 games doesn't prove anything.
I don't need to prove a thing to you. Coaches from Tampa and Boston marveled about his skill. I've watched him play. Have you. If so when? You see wow charts or advanced stats?

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
glad to hear Tavares hinted that the Leafs are not trading/losing any of the young core.. If Nylander had some more luck on the PP last season, this would not even be a conversation.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Trading Nylander would be akin to Chiarelli trading Seguin.

Seguin was dealt for Eriksson whose career fell off a cliff shortly afterwards.

The issues with the trade were that it seemed to be done so covertly, I remember Friedman writing that several GMs told him they had no clue and would’ve made better offers.

Eriksson was considered an elite forward at the time of the trade so Seguin wasn’t dealt for peanuts.

You can’t predict injuries. His concussions after joining the Bruins were just bad luck. But he was a two-way 35+ goal-scorer.

If the Leafs trade Nylander for a comparable package, it would be akin to getting Tavares in return. Then if Tavares suffered two major concussions and Nylander put up elite seasons, you might think it’s the same “bad judgment”.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Trade Nylander to a team with a fanbase that would appreciate the type of player he is. Maby Buffalo if he gets to play with his brother who realy needs to step up. Or Vegas, just get a feeling he would grow there.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Nylander is gonna be Seguin 2.0 so yeah I might off myself if we trade him for a Pavelski/Eriksson type

But thank god we've got Dubas so nothing to worry about

Reactions: SniperOnTheWing

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Trading Nylander would be akin to Chiarelli trading Seguin.

I still want to know who's going to play with Matthews if we trade Nylander? I'm not convinced we need to trade him at all. We have 2 lethal pairings right now: Matthews-Nylander and Tavares-Marner.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Heard on tsn 1050 this morning, apparently leafs looking at a bridge deal with Nylander of 4.5 ish, if true, not a bad idea given we have Marleau as well for 2 more years at a 6 mil. That should give us plenty of cap room to really go for it the next 3 years

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Heard on tsn 1050 this morning, apparently leafs looking at a bridge deal with Nylander of 4.5 ish, if true, not a bad idea given we have Marleau as well for 2 more years at a 6 mil. That should give us plenty of cap room to really go for it the next 3 years
Don't know how I feel about a bridge. It could back to bite us if Nylander continues to improve. He showed a lot of growth last season, but was unlucky on the PP. We have a chance to capitalize on his poor puck luck on the PP and get him locked up for about $6 mil AAV. Coming out of this bridge he could demand and be worth $8-9 mil AAV if he continues on an upward trajectory, especially with he and Matthews not always drawing the toughest match-ups with Tavares-Marner drawing a lot of them.
I just don't want a Subban or Kucherov scenario.

Reactions: cookie and Faltorvo

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
A bridge deal would absolutely backfire. He will be stapled to Matthews' wing for those two years and as both improve and see better PP deployment Nylander comes out of the bridge a 75+ pt player looking for $8M or more.

This is the chance to get him long term for under $7M and we need to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad