William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
hi back timmy, i love ya bud

your only the 2nd ever draft pick where i did a flying fist pump when your name was called.

but dude your only 18 and missed an entire season of development , we got you fam

see you in a few years.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

ahh,, no need to put that kind of pressure on you

you mean way way way to much to rush along.

management either does this right or just don't do it at all.

eat/sleep/eat/ work out// run the marlies to back to back calders.

maybe find a nice girl and settle down :)

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I agree that it would serve the Leafs best interest to. sign Willi long term. But there are non informed folks on this site that think Nylander HAS to sign long term.
And haven't you just given the reason why Nylander just want to take a bridge. He's looking for futures riches later.
To me, and it's just my opinion, Nylander is a different type of guy. Most young players like the long term security. IMO Nylander will be quite happy with a bridge.
I mean, I think it depends on what he's asking for. He could certainly bank on himself becoming a $9-10M player over the next few years, and if the Leafs are only offering him $7M right now, then I certainly understand why Nylander would want a bridge contract.

I have no idea what kind of guy he is, though, and have no idea what he's looking for, or what the Leafs are offering. My preference - and what I believe would be the wisest decision, from a team-building standpoint - would be to get him locked up long-term to as reasonable a figure as you can (no higher than ~$7M), and if that fails, start dropping years and dollars off the contract until you find your sweet spot for now.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
ahh,, no need to put that kind of pressure on you

you mean way way way to much to rush along.

management either does this right or just don't do it at all.

eat/sleep/eat/ work out// run the marlies to back to back calders.

maybe find a nice girl and settle down :)
Ha ha

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I mean, I think it depends on what he's asking for. He could certainly bank on himself becoming a $9-10M player over the next few years, and if the Leafs are only offering him $7M right now, then I certainly understand why Nylander would want a bridge contract.

I have no idea what kind of guy he is, though, and have no idea what he's looking for, or what the Leafs are offering. My preference - and what I believe would be the wisest decision, from a team-building standpoint - would be to get him locked up long-term to as reasonable a figure as you can (no higher than ~$7M), and if that fails, start dropping years and dollars off the contract until you find your sweet spot for now.

or fill that dire need on D with a more manageable player.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
or fill that dire need on D with a more manageable player.
How much longer are they going to manageable, if you spent Willam Nylander acquiring them?

Why not fill that need with the expiring Jake Gardiner, and keep your homegrown back-to-back 61-point scoring 22-year-old forward to play with one of your 2 franchise centermen?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
How much longer are they going to manageable, if you spent Willam Nylander acquiring them?

Why not fill that need with the expiring Jake Gardiner, and keep your homegrown back-to-back 61-point scoring 22-year-old forward to play with one of your 2 franchise centermen?

home grown means squat to me if they want to negotiate like they are a ufa

there are young enough quality D out there and our execs know their business. this ain't rocket science.

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
home grown means squat to me if the want to negotiate like they are a ufa

there are young enough quality D out there and our execs know their business. this ain't rocket science.
So you have no idea? You just want to trade William Nylander for some unnamed D, despite there being other, cheaper avenues through which to shore up our team's deficiencies?

Is this, like, your worst-case scenario, in which he's asking for $8-9M a year? Or is this just what you'd actually like to see happen with Nylander?

Reactions: weems and Menzinger

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So you have no idea? You just want to trade William Nylander for some unnamed D, despite there being other, cheaper avenues through which to shore up our team's deficiencies?

Is this, like, your worst-case scenario, in which he's asking for $8-9M a year? Or is this just what you'd actually like to see happen with Nylander?

yes ,worst- case 7/ 8/9m or wants a bridge

did anyone see the hamilton/hannafin trade coming? no

so i don't see a need to try and nail down an exact name ,

we know what his market value is , to draw a straight line to comparable value young D is not that big a deal. some examples, trouba/ dumba/hannifin , dare to dream EK

maybe if TB lands EK things change there.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

we know what his market value is , to draw a straight line to comparable value young D is not that big a deal. some examples, trouba/ dumba/hannifin , dare to dream EK

if vegas gets EK how about theodore?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

You trade Nylander if he's looking for $7M long-term? That's my high-end, but I'm still pretty comfortable with that, given what he's shown in his first 2 seasons.

Trouba and Dumba are solid targets, but I think I'd rather continue developing and bank on Liljegren or Durzi in the next couple years, or trade Gardiner for a lesser target, than move Nylander for one of them. Karlsson would cost more than just Nylander, and would also take up at least $4-5M more against the cap than Willy would.

I think we have a chance for an offensive powerhouse the likes of which the NHL hasn't seen in a long, long time - I also believe that our issues at D are wildly overblown around these parts. I just don't understand stripping away from that opportunity to try and fill a need that isn't actually that dire, and which can be filled through cheaper means.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You trade Nylander if he's looking for $7M long-term? That's my high-end, but I'm still pretty comfortable with that, given what he's shown in his first 2 seasons.

Trouba and Dumba are solid targets, but I think I'd rather continue developing and bank on Liljegren or Durzi in the next couple years, or trade Gardiner for a lesser target, than move Nylander for one of them. Karlsson would cost more than just Nylander, and would also take up at least $4-5M more against the cap than Willy would.

I think we have a chance for an offensive powerhouse the likes of which the NHL hasn't seen in a long, long time - I also believe that our issues at D are wildly overblown around these parts. I just don't understand stripping away from that opportunity to try and fill a need that isn't actually that dire, and which can be filled through cheaper means.

no nylander at 7m + gards at 7m ( toss in a draft pick or a korshkov) thats 14m cap

EK 11m,, grundstrom 1m , heck we save 2m cap/

Ehlers starts this season at 6m and he scored 33% more then willi and you think willi has earned 1m more? sry not me.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
no nylander at 7m + gards at 7m ( toss in a draft pick or a korshkov) thats 14m cap

EK 11m,, grundstrom 1m , heck we save 2m cap/

Ehlers starts this season at 6m and he scored 33% more then willi and you think willi has earned 1m more? sry not me.

And Mitch's 20 year old season was not as good as Pastrnak's who is signed at $6.66M. Also has anyone gotten the impression these two don't think they can live on $6M per? People need to look at what some other players have actually signed for, and not worry about the crap posted on the net by sportswriters trying to get hits. Now Matthews I don't have a clue about. I know what is probably a fair number but he's a #1 pick, played his draft year in Europe, and owns a Calder. No true comps for him except McD who blows him away, and Eichel who he blows away. and thats a $10M to $12.5M range based on last year's cap. I hope he doesn't place his wallet ahead of his club, because 8 x $10.5 is hardly a slap in the face.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We have no idea what Nylander wants, but the real problem seems to be the rumours of Marner wanting Eichel money. His contract is a year out which gives him a year to really pad his stats, but as good as he is, we really need him to be cheaper and closer to a Nylander than a Matthews.

But who knows? Maybe the kids want to be a dynasty and they'll take lower AAV's?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We have no idea what Nylander wants, but the real problem seems to be the rumours of Marner wanting Eichel money. His contract is a year out which gives him a year to really pad his stats, but as good as he is, we really need him to be cheaper and closer to a Nylander than a Matthews.

But who knows? Maybe the kids want to be a dynasty and they'll take lower AAV's?

eichel money??? welp bye bye mitch.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
didn't see any of you peddle this, so here ya go
big interview coming out tomorrow morning with dubby.

Tavares. Nylander. Marner. Matthews. Can the Maple Leafs really keep all four?

“We can, and we will,” Dubas told Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek on this week’s episode of 31 Thoughts: The Podcast, which will be released Thursday morning.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
eichel money??? welp bye bye mitch.

Marner at $10M is a very easy trade.

But I don't believe he is really asking Eichel money im pretty sure that rumour started here. BUT also that is why I don't trade Nylander, Nylander at $7M (I think that is high too) is better than Marner at $10M very easily so if marner rolls in with his $10M demand see you later and keep nylander

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Where are people getting these high numbers like 8 Mil? Marner and Nylander will both get somewhere in the 6 - 7.25M range, nothing more. That’s what their comparables have signed for, and it’s what they should too. Pasta is a PPG winger and he got less than 7. We can wait them out. If a team offersheets them in this range, we match. If a team goes slightly higher but not the highest compensation bracket, we give them an offer with slightly lower AAV but we increase the term. If a team gives them a contract where the compensation is 4 firsts, you take that and run. Matthews is the only one where we have to be careful for, but every dollar saved in Marner and Nylander’s contract is one that we can use in case Matthews gets offer sheeted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark