Value of: William Nylander to Vancouver

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This isn't.a particularly difficult question- Brown/Zaitsev or even moving a guy like Kapanen or Johnsson.

Only a fairly lazy GM would look to a guy like Nylander if cap savings were his biggest priority

The Leafs cap problem is bigger than that.

Reactions: Snowman

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I totally agree that Nylander’s contract is structured for a trade after July 1 2019 to a budget team with lots of cap space (e.g. Arizona).

Not suggesting he needs to be traded, but clearly that structure is there to give TO the option.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I totally agree that Nylander’s contract is structured for a trade after July 1 2019 to a budget team with lots of cap space (e.g. Arizona).

Not suggesting he needs to be traded, but clearly that structure is there to give TO the option.

They've interestingly been structuring all of their larger contracts in a similar way (front loaded with large bonues). Likely to give management some extra options if push comes to shove

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
None of those is enough except possibly Marleau. He is owed 4.25 mil for his last year. Is he really likely to walk away from that? If he does, you have 1 year of grace. Then what?

Leafs D was bad this year. With those moves it is quite a bit worse. But, OK.
He is owed 1.25....the rest was bonuses.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
2 60 point season don't matter if you turn the puck over constantly, play 0 defense and are afraid of contact. wouldn't take him and a 2nd for a 7th.

I think you are generalizing too much. You saw some clips and you painted this picture in your head. Now because of your generalizations. You have a wrong Perception of Nylander.

Nylander has a corsi 53.6%. He is controlling play out there. His takeaway is 171 vs Giveaway in 119. Players that play 0 defense don't have high Corsi and takeaways are not so much than their give aways. He is one of the better Leafs at stripping picks.

Babcock is one of the better coach. I think we can all agree. He wouldn't play Nylander at times at center if he play 0 defence.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZEBROA

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
You spelled Hughes wrong
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ridiculous. Truthfully, I wouldn't even trade Stecher in a package for Nylander.

You can call me ridiculous in kind if you like, but we need D and Stecher is a warrior. Nylander needs to grow up. He plays like a lazy coward.

Reactions: bh53

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Obviously the trade favours Vancouver however this Vancouver fan wants no part of Nylander or that contract.

As as someone who isn't particularly partial to Toronto, all I can say is thank god they didn't trade him for Pesce or they'd be in the 2nd round right now.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Stecher has just established himself as a legit top 4 RHD, I really don’t want to trade him as that is our primary need.

I’m on the fence.

Reactions: bh53

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I'd take a good 3rd liner and a #4 defenceman over a floater like Nylander anyday.

Nylander is an overpaid complimentary top 6 winger. If he's not scoring he's useless

You are generalizing, You do realize this year Nylander was first on the Leafs for Corsi at 56.8 % and also first in cf rel% at 5.2. His two 60 points season and had one of most takeaways on the team. Wins over 50% of his faceoffs as well. Not scoring he is useless is a bunch of non sense. Nylander is a good at controlling possession out there. Best way to play defence is to control the play.

This is hockey. It's not a figure skater competition. Virtanen sexy skating won't win you that many hockey games.

Canucks are one of the lowest scoring team in the last 4 years. Getting a 60 points players that is good at controlling possession will help a lot. Call the way you want complimentary or Primary or whatever. Nylander gets 60 points in a full season. 60 points don't grow on trees.

Some of the comments are getting more and more ridiculous. So many generalizations.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Leafs would be smart to do it, Virtanen could get something done in the playoffs, and the team is good enough to ensure that they will get there.

What makes you think Virtanen can get something done in the playoffs? Virtanen has never played in an nhl playoffs game. In chl and ahl he wasn't great in the playoffs.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Hainsey. Gardiner. (Bring in Rosen/Sandin/Borgman). Brown to Edmonton for a 3rd/4th. I still think Marleau goes. Bridge Kap/Johnsson.
You’re paying to move Marleau. No one wants that contract. You might swap him straight up for Kovy. But that’s 2 remaining years at the same money on the same style of contract.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He would be making more than Bo Horvat on the Canucks if we were to trade for Nylander . No chance I'd be able to justify that unless the cost was cheap to acquire him
As bad as he seems to a lot of "experts" in here Leafs will probably pay over half the salery to get rid of him.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Because Nylander is a black hole of winning culture. The Canucks’ culture is at a critical and fragile stage where it’s developing and vulnerable to becoming a losing culture. Nylander moves the needle in the losing direction culturally and Virtanen doesn’t. It’s more about the team. Not saying Virtanen moves the needle in the right way either or saying he’s a star player or anything but I like him and would rather keep him over someone like Willy. Nylander would be good (though a bit pricey) on a veteran team that already has an established winning culture not on Vancouver though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad