Value of: William Nylander to Vancouver

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Wait, you highlighted the fact that it's NOT a figure skating competition and that's supposed to be a point in Nylander's favor?

Also, 7 million is a lot of money. Nobody is arguing that Nylander is a useless player. But, with what he's shown thus far, does Nylander seem like a guy that a team can win a cup with (while giving him 7 million)? Absolutely not.

No, but part of the reason why people are not wanting to make that trade is because of Virtanen skating and hitting upside. People still have the believe that he can become the next Bertuzzi. I am just pointing out that his skating is not getting much results. You need more than skating and hitting to be a top player. It's like I am pretty sure Red wings fans in the 90s didn't think Draper can become the next Fedorov because of his skating and defensive skill.

I don't think you were reading the post I reply too. The user wrote Nylander is useless when not scoring and I don't believe you read much post on this forum. When you have a moment go through and read a lot posts.

I 100% disagree. A player that can put up points and good controlling possession and stripping pucks. The teams let's a lot more shot against when he is not on the ice can definitely be important part on a cup team. Wash and Pits had 4 F making about 30 million. Nylander 7 and Horvat Petey and Boeser making a total 23 M can definitely work on a cup team. The cap is going up as well.

I don't even think people on this forum even watched much of Nylander. Watched a few clips and they pretend they know everything about Nylander.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think a trade around Johnsson could make sense. Canucks have some prospects at different positions that we could trade for him such as Madden, Dipietro, etc.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Just goes to show that these so-called "advanced stats" are the Emperor's New Clothes.

These stats are better than just generalizing. Yeah these stats are so bad and I guess thats why teams are spending a lot money on their Analytics department

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Really ?

$53M invested in 10 players.

Add to that what Marner, Kapanen and Johnnson will get.

RFA in the summer of 2020 ? Dermott.

Teams with star players will have top heavy cap structures: this isnt unique to the Leafs, but I suppose would.be to fans of teams lacking in talent

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I think a trade around Johnsson could make sense. Canucks have some prospects at different positions that we could trade for him such as Madden, Dipietro, etc.

I would trade Madden for Johnsson. I think Leafs will probably want a nhl player with a cheap nhl contract instead. They are trying to win the cup. Madden is still years away if He ends up making the nhl.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You ask this after posting what follows ?

"Surprised a Habs fan knows about those last 7 games....must have shocked you to find out some teams play more than 82 huh?"
Sure. If you'll indulge me, here's a little story....you see, i am probably older than a majority of posters on this site. I was done school and well into my career before computer class was a thing. The internet became a thing well into my adult life.

So, i was brought up the old school way...my Father taught me about being a good man, and a confident one. One of the things he said many times was "you don't start a fight, but you don't walk away from one either". You see, back then, a bully had to confront you to your face....and then you could choose to walk away, or....not.

But here we are.. .in the days of internet warriors...gutless people tickking the keyboards. I didn't address that poster, he decided to take a shot just because of a team people cheer for, i chose not to walk away....why should I?

The real question here should be,why didn't you call him out for blindly taking shots in the 1st pkace? It's an interesting statement about your own mindset when you choose to chastise me for calling him out instead of him for doing it in the 1st place.

But again, the internet has really bolstered those who wouldn't do things face to face.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Sure. If you'll indulge me, here's a little story....you see, i am probably older than a majority of posters on this site. I was done school and well into my career before computer class was a thing. The internet became a thing well into my adult life.

So, i was brought up the old school way...my Father taught me about being a good man, and a confident one. One of the things he said many times was "you don't start a fight, but you don't walk away from one either". You see, back then, a bully had to confront you to your face....and then you could choose to walk away, or....not.

But here we are.. .in the days of internet warriors...gutless people tickking the keyboards. I didn't address that poster, he decided to take a shot just because of a team people cheer for, i chose not to walk away....why should I?

The real question here should be,why didn't you call him out for blindly taking shots in the 1st pkace? It's an interesting statement about your own mindset when you choose to chastise me for calling him out instead of him for doing it in the 1st place.

But again, the internet has really bolstered those who wouldn't do things face to face.

I would be very much surprised to find that you are older than me.

I'll be 70 in a bit more than 2 months.

What my parents taught me is to defend the widows and orphans, which I did.

He was blindly taking shots ?

Nice try.

It's probably why a mod deleted your post.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I would be very much surprised to find that you are older than me.

I'll be 70 in a bit more than 2 months.

What my parents taught me is to defend the widows and orphans, which I did.

He was blindly taking shots ?

Nice try.

It's probably why a mod deleted your post.
Just turned 70 myself. And be honest, that poster takes shots at the Leafs and their fans a lot....no need to sugar coat it. It's all good...i just don't see why anyone should put up with insults just because they cheer for a certain team. I hold no ill will toward the Habs or their fans....or any team for that matter, i just don't get the constant Leafs bashing. Folks tell me i deserve it because of the fanbase, to which i say, feel free to call out a specific poster/post....but history has proven it's never a good thing to judge the many by the actions of a few.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I would trade Madden for Johnsson. I think Leafs will probably want a nhl player with a cheap nhl contract instead. They are trying to win the cup. Madden is still years away if He ends up making the nhl.
I think they would rather get a guy that they can keep in the minors for a year or 2 because their forwards are so deep.

NextGoalIsHuge

Nov 19, 2017
I'd be fine with Nylander. Sure, everything points to a disappointing performance recently, however he's young and talented. He fills a hole at wing with a better resume than all of the reclamation projects and dice-rolls we have atm. Overpaid? /shrug. Let's revisit that half way through his contract after other contracts and cap calculations are made. Don't see getting that kind of talent for less in the long term. He's an easy target for wounded Leaf fans right now and they also recognize that cap constrictions will mean changes for the roster.

I really want to be careful with salaries ourselves, though. We're going to have to pay Boeser, Pettersson & Hughes at some time. Horvat's deal will be up quicker than we think, too. Would hate to part with one because of Nylander. Let's not talk about Sutter, Eriksson, etc...we ditch them and maybe we can take on more as the next few years roll by.

Trying to compare Virtanen and Nylander is tough. Different types of players. Jake is cheap, young and has a lot of possible upside. He fits into any cap structure currently. I like him and despite his draft position has proven to be a legitimate NHL player unlike soooo many prospects that get drafted. Nylander was a better pick, of course. I have to side with Leaf fans when my peers imply that Virtanen will improve while Nylander is a known commodity. heh.

I won't get too much into armchair GMing. Trades happen and usually the team that lands the best player "wins". Prospects, picks and cap-dumps are impactful but rarely in ways that legitimately impact a team's composition and outlook.

Nylander's stock may be relatively low, but not low enough that the Leafs would take a garbage offer. The Canucks would simply be outbid by competition.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Makes no sense to sell Nylander when his value is at its lowest, it will inevitably rise down the line, the question is just to which degree.
Nylanders value being at its lowest is a matter of opinion. There’s no question he didn’t have a great year but I think any fan with a brain would understand the real value that he has. And that goes for GM’s as well. GM’s know that he’s a great player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad