Value of: William Nylander to Vancouver

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Does anyone in the Canucks even want Nylander at that cap hit?

I'm one of the Nucks fans who doesn't think Nylander is a 27pt player and for the right deal I would glady take WN. Both the Pettersson and Horvat lines need wingers so adding one of Nylanders quality would be huge. As for the right deal, I would want the Canucks to weaponize their cap space by getting a player for cents on the dollar because their club is up against the cap and need to make some changes.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I love how this is so often the response when it comes to trading Nylader. Why isn't he getting traded? You'll very likely have three forwards making $10mm+ (two at 11mm+) with one top pairing D man on the entire team.

I understand the premise of not "getting rid of him" but if theres a deal to be made for Nylander that would help the defense it would be silly to not entertain it.

We're fine, thanks.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Nylander

for

Virtanen (15 goals)
Stecher (23 points, +9)
2019 3rd (90th)

Might have some legs? Leafs will need the cap space badly, keep in mind.

Better HF offers of
Mayfield+Wahlstrom+Dal Colle
and
Fischer+POJ+Westerlund

have already been seen.

Other teams will pay for talent, keep in mind.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Lol why do people want Nylander? Did they watch the game last night? :laugh:

Yeah a big no thanks to Nylander in Vancouver, even though we have fans that have been whining about not drafting him for years. Skilled player but don't like his effort level and lack of intensity or that contract. Leaf fans are practically running him out of town right now.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
No thanks. I wouldn't trade Stecher by himself for Nylander. The contract is unncessary and the Canucks will most likely draft another winger.

Stecher is very underrated here. He's a very good middle-pairing defenseman who is still cheap.

If the Leafs want a RHD from Vancouver it will have to be Tanev, though he's not quite worth Nylander on his own.

Reactions: bh53

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
TML need to free up space for Marner.

I’m sure Leafs brass aren’t thrilled about waiting half a season for Nylander to underachieve for the last half.

Just spitballing:

Nylander

for

Virtanen (15 goals)
Stecher (23 points, +9)
2019 3rd (90th)

Might have some legs? Leafs will need the cap space badly, keep in mind.
God awful. I mean come on.....

Feb 19, 2018
Troy is not a potential top pairing RHD. I think that tor should focus on getting hamilton or pesce type of big defensive first dman that can add 30-40+ points. That is what they need Pesce would be Ideal.

I agree and Seth Jones would be even better but doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Lol why do people want Nylander? Did they watch the game last night? :laugh:

Yeah a big no thanks to Nylander in Vancouver, even though we have fans that have been whining about not drafting him for years. Skilled player but don't like his effort level and lack of intensity or that contract. Leaf fans are practically running him out of town right now.

I did watch the game. Every game this series. Game 2 he was awful for 2 periods. The rest he was fine. His unit held the Bruins to one goal at even-strength and contributed four. They controlled the possession battle. And that was with Willie playing with the Leafs' two worst wingers.

When he's engaged, Nylander is really a very effective forechecker and backchecker. He showed glimpses of that. He can produce with like-minded players.

He'd be a godsend to the Canucks. A winger, other than Boeser, that can actually create offense so that Bo and Petey don't have to drag everyone else around.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
No thanks. I wouldn't trade Stecher by himself for Nylander. The contract is unncessary and the Canucks will most likely draft another winger.

Stecher is very underrated here. He's a very good middle-pairing defenseman who is still cheap.

If the Leafs want a RHD from Vancouver it will have to be Tanev, though he's not quite worth Nylander on his own.

I wouldn’t trade Stecher for him either.Nylander is a whiny,entitled b**ch who isn’t worth half his cap space.I wouldn’t trade Virtanen straight up for him,TBH.

All the talk about his regular season points doesn’t mean much when all that will do is hurt your draft position while maybe getting you into a wild card spot where you’ll be one and done like the Leafs are every year.
I’d rather draft high for another year or two and continue to add potential impact players who might help you in the playoffs down the road rather than just making the playoffs but having no real chance at doing anything.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Does Toronto fans realistically think Nylander Is worth much right now on the market ??

His stock literally cant be any lower right now.

So either keep him and try to win with him next year and deal w the salary cap

Or

Sell low on him and just move on from the player and the horrendous contract.

But nobody is going to buy high on him. Why would they ? Let's be real here

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Does Toronto fans realistically think Nylander Is worth much right now on the market ??

His stock literally cant be any lower right now.

So either keep him and try to win with him next year and deal w the salary cap

Or

Sell low on him and just move on from the player and the horrendous contract.

But nobody is going to buy high on him. Why would they ? Let's be real here
I will answer this way...Nylander has 2 60+ point seasons, he then sat out and struggled to a 27 points in 54 games this season...which is a 41 in 82 pace.

Patrick Laine had 50 points in 82 games this season...while having a full training camp/pre season.

So if everyone on here wants to look at 2 seasons of 60+ point production as an outlier and judge Nylander by ONLY this season....what would you give for 50 point Laine? And remember....using the Nylander logic, you CAN NOT take Laine's other years into consideration.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh I'd be surprised if he took under $11

3x players making $33million is going to decimate any chances of improving the blueline, or having great depth.

Term matters a lot in Marner's case. How many RFA/UFA years to you buy is the question. He has 4 RFA years left right?

Nobody talking about a 3 year bridge deal? Why not? If he wants $11M+ for a long term deal, offer him a 3 year deal at $9M and with intentions to pay him more when the cap space issues unblock a bit more in 3 years. He would still be RFA controlled

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Can the Leafs even match $10,148,302?
Compensation would be 2x 1sts, 2nd, 3rd

3x players over $10million is going to gut them significantly.

Marner wouldn't likely sign for that x5 years. And 5 years takes him directly to UFA. Is some team going to offer him 11x5 just to see him walk in 5 years? after they give up 4 1sts for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad