Value of: William Nylander to Vancouver

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If i was Vancouver i would take Virtanen for Nylander and run away laughing. Leaf will probably pay one mill of Nylanders salery if you threath them.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
The Leafs have the same problem the Canucks did in their heyday. Terrific talent upfront, but they crumble when they get punched in the mouth.

Matthews, Marner, Reilly, Nylander are still really young and John Tavares still has lots of good years left. I think the Leafs core will figure it out in the playoffs in the coming years. And to be fair, Boston is a tough experienced team to face. I won't be surprised if they go all the way this year.

The biggest problem the Leafs face is keeping the core together within the salary cap.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Surprised a Habs fan knows about those last 7 games....must have shocked you to find out some teams play more than 82 huh?
There’s a line between making the playoffs and not, and that’s the line thst defines success, but the same time, over that 82 game regular season the vastly superior leafs were only able to separate themselves from Montreal by a margin of 4 pts. Over 82 games, that’s not a significant gap at all.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
There’s a line between making the playoffs and not, and that’s the line thst defines success, but the same time, over that 82 game regular season the vastly superior leafs were only able to separate themselves from Montreal by a margin of 4 pts. Over 82 games, that’s not a significant gap at all.
That gap earned the Leafs the playoffs. I have no ill will toward the Habs, i just find it mind boggling how many shots the Leafs fans are taking on this site from fans of teams that missed, or teams that had major playoff chokes....glass houses and such.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I think Canucks fans are just too attached to their players. Stecher at best is a number 4 D and Virtanen at best is a 3rd line winger. Nylander at best is a 1st line winger. You make that trade no matter what. Somebody will reply and say Nylander is not a 1st line winger. My reply will be 60 point players are definitely 1st line numbers.

All this time talk about Nylander is horrible defensively is just not true. I will admit he had some lazy shift but this is a player that led the Led the Leafs in Corsi at about 56% and Rel% at about 5% this year.

There is no stat out there that shows Nylander is horrible defensively. Nylander is good at controlling Possesion.

Both Nylander and Virtanen are in the same draft which means they are around the same age. So people think Virtanen can get a lot better and not Nylander. I am not sure how that make sense.

Reactions: McClelland

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
That gap earned the Leafs the playoffs. I have no ill will toward the Habs, i just find it mind boggling how many shots the Leafs fans are taking on this site from fans of teams that missed, or teams that had major playoff chokes....glass houses and such.
Habs made the playoffs for years while Leafs were toiling away in the leagues toilet. I didn't see Leafs fans yearning for Montreals success either.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Habs made the playoffs for years while Leafs were toiling away in the leagues toilet. I didn't see Leafs fans yearning for Montreals success either.
I won't speak for others, but life has taught me that hurling stones from the bottom of the pit generally ends up with you getting hit in the head.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Why derail a thread for no reason. You know Hughes>>>Nylander. Stop.

Btw I wouldn’t trade Stetcher straight up, guy is so underrated and is the heart and soul of the defense. Nylander has been bad this season and a no show in the playoffs.

Troy Stecher is better than a hybrid centre/winger who put up 60+ points at 20 and 21 years old? I guess Dermott > Pettersson then. Criticize his production in an anomaly year but even his first 5 playoff games (last 2 were a team-wide mess), despite being straddled with Brown and Marleau:

William Nylander @ 5v5 2019 Playoffs:
  • 84.49 CF/60
  • 3.51 xGF/60
  • 57.6 CF%
  • 3 Goals For (1 Goal Against)
Team Without Nylander @ 5v5 2019 Playoffs:
  • 58.91 CF/60
  • 2.39 xGF/60
  • 48.99 CF%
  • 4 Goals For (8 Goals Against)

Last edited by a moderator:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Makes no sense to sell Nylander when his value is at its lowest, it will inevitably rise down the line, the question is just to which degree.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Don't think the Leafs trade Nylander - also don't see Van being a fit unless the plan is fulltime winger for Bill.

Wasn't super impressed with Willy's character this year but he did actually play better than his stats suggest - I just don't know if this player has the right drive and motivation to be a big factor in a playoff series/push.

Having said all of that, I probably would trade Stech+Virts for Nylander, but that would definitely leave a hole on the right side. Maybe leafs can add Zaitsev and a pic to offset?

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Taken from @TheOakLeafs on twitter

Added (TOI)...
MacKinnon (4296:15) 168
Nylander (3862:44) 162
Seguin (3789:28) 158
Scheifele (4250:09) 157
Kessel (3736:01) 142
Marchand (3738:38) 141

That is the point totals of young players after their first 239 games. He added TOI because someone replied that all of those players started their careers stuck behind better players on stacked teams.

My point in posting this is simple, Nylander isn't the guy you trade away. This team just dug themselves out of a decade long hole caused by traded away young players and picks. Leafs need to set him up for success and that means putting him with Matthews, it makes them both better. Playing Matthews with players who cant pass is like putting watered down gasoline in a ferrari.

Reactions: Saint Blue

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I think Canucks fans are just too attached to their players. Stecher at best is a number 4 D and Virtanen at best is a 3rd line winger. Nylander at best is a 1st line winger. You make that trade no matter what. Somebody will reply and say Nylander is not a 1st line winger. My reply will be 60 point players are definitely 1st line numbers.

All this time talk about Nylander is horrible defensively is just not true. I will admit he had some lazy shift but this is a player that led the Led the Leafs in Corsi at about 56% and Rel% at about 5% this year.

There is no stat out there that shows Nylander is horrible defensively. Nylander is good at controlling Possesion.

Both Nylander and Virtanen are in the same draft which means they are around the same age. So people think Virtanen can get a lot better and not Nylander. I am not sure how that make sense.
If Im the Canucks Id wait and see what Virtanen could do in the playoffs. Big bodied local kid who hits like a train and skates like one too.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Imagine a moderator posting this with a straight face.

Troy Stecher is better than a hybrid centre/winger who put up 60+ points at 20 and 21 years old? I guess Dermott > Pettersson then. Criticize his production in an anomaly year but even his first 5 playoff games (last 2 were a team-wide mess), despite being straddled with Brown and Marleau:

William Nylander @ 5v5 2019 Playoffs:
  • 84.49 CF/60
  • 3.51 xGF/60
  • 57.6 CF%
  • 3 Goals For (1 Goal Against)
Team Without Nylander @ 5v5 2019 Playoffs:
  • 58.91 CF/60
  • 2.39 xGF/60
  • 48.99 CF%
  • 4 Goals For (8 Goals Against)

He's not better, but Stecher is a damn good hockey player who is exactly what the Canucks need right now. Trading him for yes a very talented player, but a player surrounded by question marks right now doesn't make a ton of sense for Vancouver. Also, LOL at comparing Pettersson to Nylander.

Reactions: bh53

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Ya those 3 pts in 7 games are sure something to write home about.:laugh:

Well it was tied for 2nd most in the series 5v5, and of the players that scored more his atoi was far less, and his PP minutes were with garbage players.

He wasn't even close to a problem, Leaf fans just love picking scapegoats, and they're fantastic at picking the wrong ones.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Makes no sense to sell Nylander when his value is at its lowest, it will inevitably rise down the line, the question is just to which degree.

The question isn’t overly his value, but more so your cap situation. I personally think Marner rings in around 11 for next season. Which means you will have 40-42M tied into 4 forwards, that’s half the cap. So forget replacing Gardiner with much. Probably end up saying by to Kapenen, possibly Johnsson. Is Nylander worth letting all that depth walk? Toronto is about to back the into a situation where they are going to have to rely on elc players to produce.

Look at the direction the league is going, you need all 4 lines going, can’t have that when your bottom 2 will be AHLers

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
You are generalizing, You do realize this year Nylander was first on the Leafs for Corsi at 56.8 % and also first in cf rel% at 5.2. His two 60 points season and had one of most takeaways on the team. Wins over 50% of his faceoffs as well. Not scoring he is useless is a bunch of non sense. Nylander is a good at controlling possession out there. Best way to play defence is to control the play.

This is hockey. It's not a figure skater competition. Virtanen sexy skating won't win you that many hockey games.

Canucks are one of the lowest scoring team in the last 4 years. Getting a 60 points players that is good at controlling possession will help a lot. Call the way you want complimentary or Primary or whatever. Nylander gets 60 points in a full season. 60 points don't grow on trees.

Some of the comments are getting more and more ridiculous. So many generalizations.
Wait, you highlighted the fact that it's NOT a figure skating competition and that's supposed to be a point in Nylander's favor?

Also, 7 million is a lot of money. Nobody is arguing that Nylander is a useless player. But, with what he's shown thus far, does Nylander seem like a guy that a team can win a cup with (while giving him 7 million)? Absolutely not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad