Value of: William Nylander to Vancouver

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I will answer this way...Nylander has 2 60+ point seasons, he then sat out and struggled to a 27 points in 54 games this season...which is a 41 in 82 pace.

Patrick Laine had 50 points in 82 games this season...while having a full training camp/pre season.

So if everyone on here wants to look at 2 seasons of 60+ point production as an outlier and judge Nylander by ONLY this season....what would you give for 50 point Laine? And remember....using the Nylander logic, you CAN NOT take Laine's other years into consideration.

Laine showed up in the playoffs tho.

Did you see Nylander ? Dude was so afraid of any contact.

Reactions: bh53 and Snowman

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Laine showed up in the playoffs tho.

Did you see Nylander ? Dude was so afraid of any contact.
Umm...dude was forced to play center on a line with Marleau and Brown because Kadri is a dum ass....not sure what you thought he was going to produce with 2 cinder blocks on his line.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Yes However Canucks can use Nylander 60 points. His 60 points will definitely help Canucks get in the playoffs.

Nylander was on pace for 41 points and 10 goals this year over an 82 game season. His compete level was embarrassing. He very well may have a bounce back year next year, but I'd be hesitant to expect a standout year from him.

I'd far rather throw 10Mill at Karlsson/Panarin and see what happens than give up assets to pay Nylander 7.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
They should get Pesce and then try to sign Fox. Maybe give liljgren another year but this would be a young and nasty d. A mix of puck movers physicality and youth. turn Nylander into pesce.

d lines would like like this

reilly Pesce
Dermot Fox
Sandin Liljgren

You are going to have to add a lot to turn Nylander into Pesce. They are not in the same area code in terms of value at this point in time.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Umm...dude was forced to play center on a line with Marleau and Brown because Kadri is a dum ass....not sure what you thought he was going to produce with 2 cinder blocks on his line.

Not looking at production...I was watching his mettle.

Did you see the empty net 4th goal ?

He was so casual with the puck in his own zone then when a Bruin was about to hit him he pretty much just surrendered the puck in exchange of not getting hit.

He would be making more than Bo Horvat on the Canucks if we were to trade for Nylander . No chance I'd be able to justify that unless the cost was cheap to acquire him

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You are going to have to add a lot to turn Nylander into Pesce. They are not in the same area code in terms of value at this point in time.
Yes...because GMs only watch hockey games in 54 game spurts...sucks that Nylander's 2 60+ point seasons have been lost in the black hole....

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why think of something not based at all in reality?

Leafs can't keep everybody. There is a salary cap and Leafs can't even come close to staying under it without moving quite a bit of cap hit. Nylander's contract was structured to facilitate a trade despite what Dubas says.

If Nylander doesn't go, who does?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not looking at production...I was watching his mettle.

Did you see the empty net 4th goal ?

He was so casual with the puck in his own zone then when a Bruin was about to hit him he pretty much just surrendered the puck in exchange of not getting hit.

He would be making more than Bo Horvat on the Canucks if we were to trade for Nylander . No chance I'd be able to justify that unless the cost was cheap to acquire him
Cool. Now ask yourself this....what are the chances the Leafs move him for cheap? The answer is no chance...thus these threads are not based in any intelligence.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leafs can't keep everybody. There is a salary cap and Leafs can't even come close to staying under it without moving quite a bit of cap hit. Nylander's contract was structured to facilitate a trade despite what Dubas says.

Hainsey. Gardiner. (Bring in Rosen/Sandin/Borgman). Brown to Edmonton for a 3rd/4th. I still think Marleau goes. Bridge Kap/Johnsson.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
....so you think you would get Pesce for Nylander?
Carolina was rumored to be hard after Nylander pre signing. Nylander's contract is custom built for a cash budget team after his bonus is paid.

Do i think the deal happens? Who knows.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
2 60 point season don't matter if you turn the puck over constantly, play 0 defense and are afraid of contact. wouldn't take him and a 2nd for a 7th.

Reactions: bh53

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
2 60 point season don't matter if you turn the puck over constantly, play 0 defense and are afraid of contact. wouldn't take him and a 2nd for a 7th.
Uh huh.....with a little more point production, you just described Phil Kessel....would you take him and a 2nd for a 7th?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Cool. Now ask yourself this....what are the chances the Leafs move him for cheap? The answer is no chance...thus these threads are not based in any intelligence.

Which is exactly what I said.

Nylander and his camp took Dubas to town with negotiations and contract.

He then thanked them with a lousy lousy season.

So now leafs are stuck w. Him because they arent going to sell low on him which Is what his value currently is.

Reactions: bh53

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Well I still think Nylander is a good player whose game will recover. It's too early to say he's some tin man either.

But from a Canucks POV trading Stecher for him doesn't make sense, especially when you consider that the Canucks will likely get a good top 6 winger at the draft.

Trading Tanev though - does make a bit more sense since the Leafs are a contender and need help in the "now". But that deal makes more sense for Kapanen or a 1st.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We cant be throwing away prospects and picks in all these proposals??? If anything we should be adding. Toronto BADLY needs defense as we saw this playoffs so:

To Vancity: Nylander, 2019 2nd

To Toronto: Tanev, 2020 4th

That's terrible. I wouldn't even give up the 2nd for Tanev anymore.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

This isn't.a particularly difficult question- Brown/Zaitsev or even moving a guy like Kapanen or Johnsson.

Only a fairly lazy GM would look to a guy like Nylander if cap savings were his biggest priority

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I love how this is so often the response when it comes to trading Nylader. Why isn't he getting traded? You'll very likely have three forwards making $10mm+ (two at 11mm+) with one top pairing D man on the entire team.

I understand the premise of not "getting rid of him" but if theres a deal to be made for Nylander that would help the defense it would be silly to not entertain it.

Because the type of player that the Leafs need (22ish top 2/3 RHD) are almost never traded, that's why.

The vast majority of trades made these days are quantity packages for vets. Youth for youth is very rare thing to see.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hainsey. Gardiner. (Bring in Rosen/Sandin/Borgman). Brown to Edmonton for a 3rd/4th. I still think Marleau goes. Bridge Kap/Johnsson.

None of those is enough except possibly Marleau. He is owed 4.25 mil for his last year. Is he really likely to walk away from that? If he does, you have 1 year of grace. Then what?

Leafs D was bad this year. With those moves it is quite a bit worse. But, OK.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
TML need to free up space for Marner.

I’m sure Leafs brass aren’t thrilled about waiting half a season for Nylander to underachieve for the last half.

Just spitballing:

Nylander

for

Virtanen (15 goals)
Stecher (23 points, +9)
2019 3rd (90th)

Might have some legs? Leafs will need the cap space badly, keep in mind.

If Nylander was 30 and a pending UFA and this is the deadline, that wouldn't be enough.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You spelled Hughes wrong

It's starting already . . .

Half of Leafs Nation wants to change things to make the team more of a playoff threat and the other half will not let it happen . . .

Let's see, April 24th til July 1st is 69 days (that's just luck - lol) . . . we'll see a lot of this until then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad