William Nylander Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
TSN Hockey Insiders Bob McKenzie, Pierre LeBrun and Darren Dreger have the latest on the status of William Nylander's ongoing contract negotiations with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-habs-open-to-trading-a-forward~1511470

NH5Bbqk.jpg

nE9HVXO.jpg
It ain't Dubas or Gross so it didn't happen. Fake news.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
HUH? What exactly are you getting at? Most reasonable posters wouldn't mind signing him for fair market value according to his comparables, which is anywhere from 6- 6.75 mm based on length of deal. What he feels he can contribute has nothing to do with it.

So you.... and these all-knowing posters... can judge a player’s future potential and establish his comparables, eh?

Pretty amazing.

Aside from that, do you even know... I mean KNOW... what the Leafs have offered?

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
They need to find some way of assuring him he will not be traded without giving him a NTC

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They need to find some way of assuring him he will not be traded without giving him a NTC

There are some ways I think they could structure the contract to make him less desirable as a trade asset, which may alleviate some of his fears. For example giving him the bulk of his contract money in signing bonuses would let make him less desirable to teams with internal budgets.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
With every passing day, the chances of him signing decreases compared to him being traded which continue to increase.

Hard to say what his trade value will be now. A disgruntled young prima dona type, me first kind of player.

Evander Kane is a player that comes to mind who does not receive full value for his services on the trade market because of a negative reputation.

Nylander has arrived in that sense.

Reactions: dsred and socko

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's why I think we're in uncharted territory now. I don't see the Leafs offering him the money he wants, don't see another team offer sheeting him, and don't see him playing overseas until he's 27.

Now what?

Bridge or he folds are the only realistic things I can think of, I seriously doubt we move him before we get him under contract

Dubas can't be seem to give in with Marner and Matthews up next year

Reactions: dsred and socko

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
There are some ways I think they could structure the contract to make him less desirable as a trade asset, which may alleviate some of his fears. For example giving him the bulk of his contract money in signing bonuses would let make him less desirable to teams with internal budgets.

8 years ..3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ..... aav = 6.5 .......... very easy to make it difficult for other teams to find a contract attractive ... ... backloading will do it .. not sure if a structure like this is legal ? don't really feel like reading the cba ...

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Dubas can't be seem to give in with Marner and Matthews up next year
Do not believe that is the issue.

Matthews is going to be 11+
Marner is about 8-9

Nylander is 6.5 at most. That is fair.

It's really take it or leave it at this stage between the Leafs and Nylander.

Chungo2

Apr 22, 2018
If Nylander were to sign at 6.7 million:
6.7 million / 82 = $81,000

He has lost $405,000.00

That's if contracts go by the game.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017

Marner is about 8-9

I personally dont think that marner is worth 2.5 million dollars more. At most 1 million.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Marner is about 8-9

Marner is an RFA winger without arb rights, in no way should we be giving into him either, just like Nylander

Reactions: dsred

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
I’m still fathomed of how some of you think he’s turned on his team, he will be booed, he’s a baby, some me first player. How do you know what the contract negotiations are like? How do you know he wants $8 mill? Please point me to where he or Dubas have laid out the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
So you.... and these all-knowing posters... can judge a player’s future potential and establish his comparables, eh?

Pretty amazing.

Aside from that, do you even know... I mean KNOW... what the Leafs have offered?
Stop moving the goalposts. You're no good at it.

Again, what Willie FEELS he's worth or FEELS he will contribute have no bearing on his market value. The rest of what I typed seems to be the consensus of most on this board with information based on research done for his comparables.

You've seen that info over and over. Now you're just trolling.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Marner is an RFA winger without arb rights, in no way should we be giving into him either, just like Nylander
This is not about giving in, this is about fair value.

Was Bozak worth 5 million a year? Like never. Not in Toronto, not in St.Louis.

Nylander cannot be paid like Matthews or Marner. The value is not there.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is not about giving in, this is about fair value.

Was Bozak worth 5 million a year? Like never. Not in Toronto, not in St.Louis.

Nylander cannot be paid like Matthews or Marner. The value is not there.

Bozak was a UFA
Marner will be an RFA without arb rights

We're going to be hard against the cap so Marner is going to have to be squeezed for every cent we can shave off his AAV, we have the power in the negotiations so we need to use it

Reactions: Menzinger

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I didn't say that, but we're comparing contract demands after their ELC seasons....
Sure but I would then argue who they are playing with. Especially since Matthews was hurt mostly last year and wasnt the same. Tavares is a legit superstar.

I agree that Marner is better and will probably get more points.....but Nylander would also light it up this year with Matthews.

I would even argue that I think Matthews and Nylander would be better than Marner and Tavares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad