William Nylander Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
With every passing day, the chances of him signing decreases compared to him being traded which continue to increase.

Hard to say what his trade value will be now. A disgruntled young prima dona type, me first kind of player.

Evander Kane is a player that comes to mind who does not receive full value for his services on the trade market because of a negative reputation.

Nylander has arrived in that sense.

You mean to say Nylander is comparable to this guy?

kane-money.jpg

I know this holdout has people on edge but come on. This is getting ridiculous.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
some very important details missing in the spread sheets

1)you listed % cap hit when signed, that is somewhat irrelevant , it should be % cap hit when that contract kicks in,, if you don't think Ehlers camp (when he signed a year early) did not build in for the inevitable cap increase, welp your just kidding yourself.

2) how many years of UFA is that contract buying , IIRC Ehlers contract buys 3 years of UFA , where melanders ONLY buys 2 years.
Childish name calling and personal agenda aside these are two very important factors not enough people account for when suggesting that Willy should get north of 6.5m. Ehlers deal had nothing to do with last years 75m cap and we also got to remember most of these guys had 4 rfa years left Nylander has 5. Not to mention a flatlined score sheet from 16-17 to 17-18 where others showed progression in their games Nylander pretty much stayed the same player he was year over year.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Filip Forsberg - Draft: 11 overall, signing age: 21, position: LW, games played: 182, points: 133, contract: 6x6 (8.22% of cap)

William Nylander - Draft: 8 overall, signing age: 22, position: RW, games played: 185, points: 135, contract: 6x6.5 (8.22% of cap) or 7x6.75 (8.5% of cap)
Forsberg is better. He scores more, plays with an edge and also had more ufa years bought out with that deal.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He's not doing himself any favors at the moment, but once/if he don's a Leafs jersey for real, I'm a fan.
forget cheering or booing, my concern is he going to be a headcase like his father was?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
forget cheering or booing, my concern is he going to be a headcase like his father was?

The kid hasn't been any problem since we drafted him

Until the kid actually does something to prove he's a headcase (and no a tough contract negotiation isn't that) people should watch what they say about a kid in his early 20's without anything to back up their opinions because of who his father is reputed to have been

Reactions: freshwind

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
There are some ways I think they could structure the contract to make him less desirable as a trade asset, which may alleviate some of his fears. For example giving him the bulk of his contract money in signing bonuses would let make him less desirable to teams with internal budgets.

I think Dubas needs to publicly announce that he will not trade Nylander. He needs to be on record, as this is about as much a guarantee as any RFA can get.

Nylander wouldn't like it but you could do a rear-loaded contract. No one would touch a rear loaded contract. MAybe some kind of signing bonus/rear-loaded contract.

Reactions: freshwind

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

ya,, makes one wonder if ""At the end of the day I need to look out for myself",, his quote

also means avoiding the corners in heavy games,,, like oh IDK ,,,,the POs against Boston

is this selfish brat going to btch about ice time,,,line mates,,,PP time?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
at 3:16 he says, "we know that the melander camp was over 8 million"

well well and folks have the nerve to scold me for calling him melander, HUH!
If he gets more than 7, he will be Money-Lander, or Monylander if you prefer

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Do not believe that is the issue.

Matthews is going to be 11+
Marner is about 8-9

Nylander is 6.5 at most. That is fair.

It's really take it or leave it at this stage between the Leafs and Nylander.
Under what criteria is 6.5 the most that is fair? Yours? The Leafs ? or Nylander's?

Tell you what 6.5 is fair if what they're negotiating is a 5 year term deal based on comparibles but more than that in term that number go's up if your going to be fair to Nylander but I guess that's a perspective nobody considers but a few around here.

A lot of people are turning on Willy and that's sad. He's every bit as talented as the other 2 and in some aspects of the game a better player at certain things.

Not knowing what the Leafs have offered I know if the Leafs came to Willy with a 7-8 year deal at a number under 7 that's not fair to Willy at all giving up 2-3 years of UFA status. Your not going to get any top end player to give up UFA years for nothing why should Nylander?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I’m still fathomed of how some of you think he’s turned on his team, he will be booed, he’s a baby, some me first player. How do you know what the contract negotiations are like? How do you know he wants $8 mill? Please point me to where he or Dubas have laid out the difference?

It amazes me how this fan base can praise someone for having a nice 4 or 5 game stretch 3 years ago and done nothing since (ahem... Leivo) and turn on players on a dime.

If this happens with Marner or Matthews... the people who say they love them now, while shitting on Nylander, will do the same to them next year. It may get ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Budz22

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

Until the kid actually does something to prove he's a headcase (and no a tough contract negotiation isn't that) people should watch what they say about a kid in his early 20's without anything to back up their opinions because of who his father is reputed to have been
So holding out for ~2m more per season than his comparables when he knows that TML is only in the business of market value deals and no overpays isn’t showing you anything?

Chungo2

Apr 22, 2018
IF....

Nylanders camp is saying he wants 8 million because he doesn't want to be traded is ridiculous.

If that was the case it would be more about NMC than money.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Under what criteria is 6.5 the most that is fair? Yours? The Leafs ? or Nylander's?

Tell you what 6.5 is fair if what they're negotiating is a 5 year term deal based on comparibles but more than that in term that number go's up if your going to be fair to Nylander but I guess that's a perspective nobody considers but a few around here.

A lot of people are turning on Willy and that's sad. He's every bit as talented as the other 2 and in some aspects of the game a better player at certain things.

Not knowing what the Leafs have offered I know if the Leafs came to Willy with a 7-8 year deal at a number under 7 that's not fair to Willy at all giving up 2-3 years of UFA status. Your not going to get any top end player to give up UFA years for nothing why should Nylander?

Ehlers contract starts this season , a 60 point winger just like melander

6m x 7y oh and he gave up 3 UFAs , where wee willi only give up 2

oh and melander does not score like Ehlers does.

Viktor ardvidsson sign july 2017 and his deal kicked in last season 4.25m x 7 years ,after he posted a 31g 30 a= 61 end of elc season

so ya there are some honest comparibles

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So holding out for ~2m more per season than his comparables when he knows that TML is only in the business of market value deals and no overpays isn’t showing you anything?

It's a contract negotiation, he's allowed to do this under the CBA and fighting for a better deal doesn't make him bad

You don't know **** about what he's asking for right now and to pretend otherwise because of that hack Dreger is nuts, for all you know it could be us asking him to take less to keep the team together, hey didn't our team president mention something to that effect?

I think he did so tell me why it's not us being unreasonable but him?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

it's a forum, I'll express my opinions without "watching what I say". Plenty of stories out there about how his father was a "Me First" player who didn't give a fiddler's f**k about the teams he played on. I'm concerned the apple don't fall far from the tree.

Reactions: dsred

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
It's a contract negotiation, he's allowed to do this under the CBA and fighting for a better deal doesn't make him bad

You don't know **** about what he's asking for right now and to pretend otherwise because of that hack Dreger is nuts, for all you know it could be us asking him to take less to keep the team together, hey didn't our team president mention something to that effect?

Multiple sources have the leafs offering a market value deal, and Nylander looking for Draisaitl money, not just Dreger. Why so offended mate?

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Nylander with his whole family couldn’t carry Zach Hyman, he was just pathetic doing that. Look at Marner carrying him with ease and this trash can wants 8 mil? Just dump him and get a nice defenseman that help us more than this jumping away from puck diva.

Reactions: rumman

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
it's a forum, I'll express my opinions without "watching what I say". Plenty of stories out there about how his father was a "Me First" player who didn't give a fiddler's f**k about the teams he played on. I'm concerned the apple don't fall far from the tree.

That is without doubt one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen, he's not his father you complete plank

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

It's not negotiation if he doesn't negotiate. Negotiation is give and take. You ask for 8 million, the Leafs come back at 6 and then they haggle back and forth until they reach a middle ground. Everything I've read says that it's still 8 million and hasn't come off it. Not sure what he thinks he's accomplishing if that's indeed is what is happening. It's just greedy. Reminds me of Alex Sanchez on Manchester United. Turned down a championship medal and the chance to play for Pep to follow the obscene money. There's only so much money that a person needs. It's not the same as you or I taking less, this is the difference between having enough money for 4 generations instead of 3.

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad