William Nylander Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Part 14. Last one locked.

Personally I find the threat of the offer sheet completely over blown. There's like 8 teams in the league with the picks and salaray cap available. a bunch of those are total garbage as well. And who wants to really overpay a RW ???

Reactions: MarleauAndMe

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Not sure if this was discussed in the millions of previous threads but an interesting take on how Nylanders contract could look like the longer he doesn't sign.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
A player hasn’t signed an offersheet in like 5 years.

The way the media keeps bringing it up every other discussion is a good indicator of their credibility (they don’t have any).

They love anything that can give them something to talk about, no matter how unlikely it is

Reactions: Menzinger

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Personally I find the threat of the offer sheet completely over blown. There's like 8 teams in the league with the picks and salaray cap available. a bunch of those are total garbage as well. And who wants to really overpay a RW ???

A player hasn’t signed an offersheet in like 5 years.

The way the media keeps bringing it up every other discussion is a good indicator of their credibility (they don’t have any).

I don’t think anyone would offer sheet Nylander and Ive never heard anyone in the media bring it up.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

I imagine the offer sheet team would be looking for him as a center and the key piece of a line instead of a support piece like he is here. I'd be totally fine with Willy getting an offer sheet. If it's 6 million, we can match it. If it's 8, I'll take the draft picks.

Chungo2

Apr 22, 2018
I honestly won't feel good about signing him to whatever he's worth now. Would be way happier to trade him. I'm fine with his decision, it is for him and I hope he gets the money, just not from us.

Just like the USMCA deal, you feel a crack in the foundation between the two that are supposed to strive for the same goal.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Not sure if this was discussed in the millions of previous threads but an interesting take on how Nylanders contract could look like the longer he doesn't sign.

I just read a good quote from that thread.

If Nylander wants $8m, he can have it. On a 2 year term, $4m AAV. You can make any comparable if you twist the numbers right, but the fact of the matter is the contract year has the biggest impact. Drai had 77 points in his draft year, Pastrnak had 70, Ehlers had 64 when he signed, and Nylander had 61.
William Karlsson got $5.25m on a 1 year deal, while Sheary only got $3m for 3 years, but Sheary outperformed Karlsson in p/g over the last 3 years.
You can't ignore the context in these situations. These are all young players that are on the rise to being stars in the league, and a p/g that starts out strong but doesn't increase is less indicitave of a player with a high ceiling than someone who has progressive growth.
You wouldn't pay a 23 year old who scored 50 points in 3 consecutive years the same as a 23 year old who got 10/50/90.

Addresses a lot of the silly arguments people are bringing up around here that claim Nylander is worth anywhere near 7 mil per.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Average fans rely on sports writers for their opinion. Sports writers are largely saying the Leafs’ D group are weak.

Weak how??

Defensively.

How??

Visually, they’re soft on the puck. They allow a lot of shots. We rely on Andersen too much.

This isn’t what the Leafs care about. It’s not a problem they’re aiming to fix.

Not by adding Gunnarsson style defenders anyways. Guys that are “stay-at-home” types.

So because the management and coaching have no desire or intention to address this; the part of the fan base, yourself included, that think it is a problem, and expect a resolution in the form of acquiring a “Chris Tanev” type player, well, you’re going to remain confused and frustrated at the “incompetent” management.

Or, you can open your eyes to what’s actually going on, and see that we are building a highly mobile, skill-based defensive group that mainly pushes the attack rather than trying to shut down the opposition.

But until you do come around, there can be only one response to your commentary.

:facepalm:

Damn man... nice to see someone here gets it. The media doesn't get why the leafs don't do things the way they want. But they forget that if they were so smart they wouldn't be crappy beat writers and would hold actual NHL jobs.

We didn't see Lou make a deal for a Defensive dman. One would think that if he didn't see it as a pressinghole needing plugging...it doesn't need to be fixed in traditional ways.

We are playing a throwback style with a few new modern twists.
Sort of a "Can you keep up with us? Because we can score all night long"
mindset.

The defense will round into form after a little bit and help us not have to put up 7 goals a night. Tho I'm perfectly happy with that as long as we win. Exciting as hell and who honestly cares what our GAA is? As long as we win and bring home the cup

Reactions: dsred

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
DThe defense will round into form after a little bit and help us not have to put up 7 goals a night. Tho I'm perfectly happy with that as long as we win. Exciting as hell and who honestly cares what our GAA is? As long as we win and bring home the cup
I don't really agree with this. But. They always say that 7-6 wins every night isn't sustainable. And they're right. But you know what? 1-0 wins aren't sustainable either and they're usually boring as crap to boot. Yet, you never hear how unsustainable it is after a boring 1-0 victory. Just win baby.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
They love anything that can give them something to talk about, no matter how unlikely it is

TSN literally had a clip and article about the 5 leaf story's that were trending on their site. All I could think when I listened to part of it was.... must be a slow day today. A story about how leaf fans eat up every word of drivel coming from them. Stunning journalism I tell you

Reactions: Kiwi

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If after all this he ends up signing the anti-climatic 6.5 x 7 years deal, I don't know if I'm going to be happy he's finally signed to a fair deal, or frustrated that his agent stretched it out this much for the result we all expected.
why would you assume it was his agent stretching it out ?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kyper is a loud mouthed schnook. Don’t listen to him.

A lot of the pundits are

Most of them can talk intelligently about how the teams going, team needs and breaking down deals that have already happened but once they get into the realms of speculation things get dicey, really dicey

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
More videos of Nylander practicing in Sweden doing the rounds today on Instagram.

Something to note - in every video / pic we've seen of Nylander, he's wearing Leafs gear.

I doubt that's mandated.

This kid doesn't want to leave.

I agree. I think he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. The rock being his wanting to stay with the Leafs and the hard place being his father.

Reactions: Slot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad