William Nylander Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalseamone

Mar 12, 2017
Filip Forsberg - Draft: 11 overall, signing age: 21, position: LW, games played: 182, points: 133, contract: 6x6 (8.22% of cap)

William Nylander - Draft: 8 overall, signing age: 22, position: RW, games played: 185, points: 135, contract: 6x6.5 (8.22% of cap) or 7x6.75 (8.5% of cap)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Don't kid yourselves, Dubas and his cap gurus are waiting until at least Nov 1 to sign Willie (if not Dec 1st). They'll throw a few extra bucks at Willie in exchange for taking the higher cap hit this year then having a lower cap hit in subsequent years, which helps us out.

Management and the team can endure 2 months without Willie as they are looking at the bigger picture.
Not a chance this is happening.

Reactions: dsred

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Could you imagine if that's honestly what is going on. Like the likelihood is low but if it is what is happening and Nylander is in on it too and we've all been bashing when we should be thanking Willy, well then I'd be mighty happy and applauding all parties.
Don't forget - Dubas learned from the best "shyster" of all - Lou Lams....

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That Scheifele contract still boggles my mind.
it shouldn't really

his first 3 yrs in the league he had 34-49-61 pts , the team gambled he'd continue to improve , slapped 49m over 8yrs on the table and he took the security

the team offered more than he had earned at that point and it's turned into probably the best value deal in the NHL , as a % of cap it would be 6.8m today

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think the biggest thing not being discussed is how Dubas could look at stalling a signing to bring down the AAV as highlighted at the end of the post. Interesting point made that I wasn't even considering

i truly believe the " we are holding back on our final/best offer" just to delay it and lower the AVV is horse pucks.

this is already game 5 being missed

and we are looking at what , willi being up to speed by MAYBE game 15/20?

does this look like a season where they would dck around to shave a little bit of cap hit?

they want to be above bost/tbay when the season ends, i can not see how that is not the #1 team goal atm.

Last edited:
Reactions: hotpaws and dsred

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yep. It's also one of the main reasons why a shorter term, or a 5 year deal, doesn't make sense for the Leafs regarding Nylander.

A 5 year deal for example, would mean Nylander is a UFA once the deal is done. You have to either buy out some of those UFA years, or give him a proper bridge deal of 1-2 years - which is something the Leafs absolutely should not be doing

no no you can offer a 5 year deal but that avv is going to way way lower then many would think

buying 5 years of just RFA is going to be dirt cheap , as the league compatibles will show.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The more I think about it, the more plausible it becomes. I am still skeptical, though.
Dubas is just Lamoreillo in disguise.

The only difference is that Dubas reportedly believes in that analytics stuff.

Looking at the play of Ennis and Sparks, whose roster spots on the team can only be explained by analytics, Dubas looks real foolish for believing in those two players.

The analytics can only take a team so far. I do not know what anyone can do with it.

Ennis? Sparks? Hey, come on now, what have they done to prove they belong in the NHL?

Apparently the Leafs are trying to win the Stanley Cup. Why fool around like this.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Don't kid yourselves, Dubas and his cap gurus are waiting until at least Nov 1 to sign Willie (if not Dec 1st). They'll throw a few extra bucks at Willie in exchange for taking the higher cap hit this year then having a lower cap hit in subsequent years, which helps us out.

Management and the team can endure 2 months without Willie as they are looking at the bigger picture.

your crazy if you think that is what dubas's game plan is.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
He may but I don't believe it will be because of some scheme to manipulate his cap hit.
It may not be a scheme, but you know he and others are certainly aware of this cap savings in the CBA. Perhaps it's called "intentional delay" lol

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It may not be a scheme, but you know he and others are certainly aware of this cap savings in the CBA. Perhaps it's called "intentional delay" lol
IMO, winning is first and foremost for the Team.
Playing and getting paid is first and foremost for the player.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Nylander will NOT be a Leaf by the end of the season.

Hopefully we can get a young, cost controlled RHD like Brett Pesce to solidify our D-Core, and help us manage the Cap.

William Nylander <--> Brett Pesce

then...

Josh Anderson <--> Josh Leivo & 4th

then...

Adam McQuaid <--> 3rd & Conditional 4th 2019

Marleau - Matthews - Kap
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Anderson
Ennis - Lindholm - Brown

Rielly - - - - Pesce
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - McQuaid

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Dubas is just Lamoreillo in disguise.

The only difference is that Dubas reportedly believes in that analytics stuff.

Looking at the play of Ennis and Sparks, whose roster spots on the team can only be explained by analytics, Dubas looks real foolish for believing in those two players.

The analytics can only take a team so far. I do not know what anyone can do with it.

Ennis? Sparks? Hey, come on now, what have they done to prove they belong in the NHL?

Apparently the Leafs are trying to win the Stanley Cup. Why fool around like this.

i'm sorry but what has giving Ennis a shot cost us???? oh ya NOTHING!!!!!

and sparks has played 1 effn game and your already crying foul????:confused::eek::thumbd:

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
More videos of Nylander practicing in Sweden doing the rounds today on Instagram.

Something to note - in every video / pic we've seen of Nylander, he's wearing Leafs gear.

I doubt that's mandated.

This kid doesn't want to leave.

No paycheck, can't afford alternate gear.:sarcasm:

Reactions: dsred and Tak7

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
It may in fact be more that the Nylander camp are the ones that knowing the cap situation are hopeful leafs will bend on the salary demands a little bit the longer they wait to sign.

Lansdown

Feb 1, 2007
Toronto
A player hasn’t signed an offersheet in like 5 years.

The way the media keeps bringing it up every other discussion is a good indicator of their credibility (they don’t have any).

To know how unlikely it is, we have to know how often RFAs have come this far without signing a contract with their team. I don't know the answer to that but I feel like around the league the scenario the Leafs are in with Nylander right now is pretty rare.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Could you imagine if that's honestly what is going on. Like the likelihood is low but if it is what is happening and Nylander is in on it too and we've all been bashing when we should be thanking Willy, well then I'd be mighty happy and applauding all parties.

Would that scenario be considered collusion?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
8m for how many years??/

It doesn't really matter - compensation would remain the same if it's 1 year or 7 years.

The longer, the better, though - more term makes him a more valuable commodity to trade if it does come down to that (which I'm not convinced that it will).

Strangle

May 4, 2009
If after all this he ends up signing the anti-climatic 6.5 x 7 years deal, I don't know if I'm going to be happy he's finally signed to a fair deal, or frustrated that his agent stretched it out this much for the result we all expected.

This is the key to keep in mind too. Nylander isn’t negotiating, he is paying his agent to do so on his behalf. Nylanders job is to play hockey, his agents job is the contract.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would that scenario be considered collusion?

Not sure, quite frankly I don't think so unless we paid him on the side but I could definitely be wrong

It's a fair loophole, and the only way it could be deemed circumvention is if the Leafs were paying him the amount he is losing by sitting out.

I suppose if they came to an agreement for say, 6.75M x 8, and then said, we want Nylander to stay in Sweden until say, November 15th, and then calculated the amount Nylander would lose, and just add that on top of the 6.75M, that would be a way to pay Nylander for his time lost, and it still be "legal".

That's like 99.9% not the case, but if it was, it could technically work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad