William Nylander Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I don't really agree with this. But. They always say that 7-6 wins every night isn't sustainable. And they're right. But you know what? 1-0 wins aren't sustainable either and they're usually boring as crap to boot. Yet, you never hear how unsustainable it is after a boring 1-0 victory. Just win baby.

As long as we win.. I don't care if it is
7-6, 1-0,2-1 or if Babcock calls the players Suzie... Just f***ing win!

If we were winning 1-0 or 2-1 people would be complaining that we are not scoring enough and some other sort of curse is abound following up on the sophomore curse we all heard so much about last year.

We are winning exciting as hell old school barn burners and the ride has only begun. But yet some want to harp on defensive needs and failings.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Not sure if this was discussed in the millions of previous threads but an interesting take on how Nylanders contract could look like the longer he doesn't sign.

some very important details missing in the spread sheets

1)you listed % cap hit when signed, that is somewhat irrelevant , it should be % cap hit when that contract kicks in,, if you don't think Ehlers camp (when he signed a year early) did not build in for the inevitable cap increase, welp your just kidding yourself.

2) how many years of UFA is that contract buying , IIRC Ehlers contract buys 3 years of UFA , where melanders ONLY buys 2 years.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don’t think anyone would offer sheet Nylander and Ive never heard anyone except the media bring it up.

Even the media doesn't think it is realistic, although the compensation cost isn't really that high. In order for it not to be automatically matched they need to be overpaid and that lets out the strong clubs who already have expensive payrolls and a wage structure to maintain, and weaker clubs with the cap room probably have to overpay more just to get interest, and risk giving up a lottery pick. Willie has a limited chance to turn around a doormats's fortunes in the same way as Kessel was when he came to TO. They add Willie but give up Jack Hughes.

Now Matthews could be a different matter I think. AZ has their picks and the cap room to handle a max deal if they chose. I'm not predicting it but it is possible. Here's hoping theysign him without anyone getting a chance,

Last edited:
Reactions: Trawna Phan

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
For as gaudy as Matthews early season numbers have been, I don't think his line looks as dominant as it did last season with Nylander (particularly with Ennis; swapping in Kapanen may have mitigated the issue to some extent or perhaps even entirely - this is TBD). Full disclosure: this is purely visually, as I haven't looked at any of the advanced metrics yet.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
More videos of Nylander practicing in Sweden doing the rounds today on Instagram.

Something to note - in every video / pic we've seen of Nylander, he's wearing Leafs gear.

I doubt that's mandated.

This kid doesn't want to leave.

This, if he wanted out he wouldn't be wearing anything to do with the leafs. Also if the negotiations were in a bad state and each side was angry he wouldn't be wearing leaf gear. Funny a couple of posters here have created a Nylander wants out narrative

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I imagine the offer sheet team would be looking for him as a center and the key piece of a line instead of a support piece like he is here. I'd be totally fine with Willy getting an offer sheet. If it's 6 million, we can match it. If it's 8, I'll take the draft picks.

8m for how many years??/

member 262271

1)you listed % cap hit when signed, that is somewhat irrelevant , it should be % cap hit when that contract kicks in,, if you don't think Ehlers camp (when he signed a year early) did not build in for the inevitable cap increase, welp your just kidding yourself.

2) how many years of UFA is that contract buying , IIRC Ehlers contract buys 3 years of UFA , where melanders ONLY buys 2 years.
That Scheifele contract still boggles my mind.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
I just read a good quote from that thread.

Addresses a lot of the silly arguments people are bringing up around here that claim Nylander is worth anywhere near 7 mil per.

I think the biggest thing not being discussed is how Dubas could look at stalling a signing to bring down the AAV as highlighted at the end of the post. Interesting point made that I wasn't even considering

Reactions: hockeynorth

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think the biggest thing not being discussed is how Dubas could look at stalling a signing to bring down the AAV as highlighted at the end of the post. Interesting point made that I wasn't even considering

Yep. It's also one of the main reasons why a shorter term, or a 5 year deal, doesn't make sense for the Leafs regarding Nylander.

A 5 year deal for example, would mean Nylander is a UFA once the deal is done. You have to either buy out some of those UFA years, or give him a proper bridge deal of 1-2 years - which is something the Leafs absolutely should not be doing

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Damn man... nice to see someone here gets it. The media doesn't get why the leafs don't do things the way they want. But they forget that if they were so smart they wouldn't be crappy beat writers and would hold actual NHL jobs.

We didn't see Lou make a deal for a Defensive dman. One would think that if he didn't see it as a pressinghole needing plugging...it doesn't need to be fixed in traditional ways.

We are playing a throwback style with a few new modern twists.
Sort of a "Can you keep up with us? Because we can score all night long"
mindset.

The defense will round into form after a little bit and help us not have to put up 7 goals a night. Tho I'm perfectly happy with that as long as we win. Exciting as hell and who honestly cares what our GAA is? As long as we win and bring home the cup

and we have yet to see one other thing

,teams with skill and speed cause penalties to be taken, top marquee teams along with superstar marquee players tend to "get calls"

is there any chance that the refs have us with the 3rd LEAST pps again like last season???

i think not.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Don't kid yourselves, Dubas and his cap gurus are waiting until at least Nov 1 to sign Willie (if not Dec 1st). They'll throw a few extra bucks at Willie in exchange for taking the higher cap hit this year then having a lower cap hit in subsequent years, which helps us out.

Management and the team can endure 2 months without Willie as they are looking at the bigger picture.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Bashing Nylander for wanting to be paid for what he feels he can contribute is really assinine.
HUH? What exactly are you getting at? Most reasonable posters wouldn't mind signing him for fair market value according to his comparables, which is anywhere from 6- 6.75 mm based on length of deal. What he feels he can contribute has nothing to do with it.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Don't kid yourselves, Dubas and his cap gurus are waiting until at least Nov 1 to sign Willie (if not Dec 1st). They'll throw a few extra bucks at Willie in exchange for taking the higher cap hit this year then having a lower cap hit in subsequent years, which helps us out.

Management and the team can endure 2 months without Willie as they are looking at the bigger picture.
I don't believe this at all.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
hmmm you obviously don't get out much:laugh:

whether it's HC, LL, OD, PTS or any of the various NHL Network shows, they won't shut up about it

Nylander? I heard snippets of why they would not offer sheet Nylander. Perhaps someone may pose the question as to why no one has OS Willy and quick they go through the reasons why makes no sense.

The 1st segment on hockey central today was all about OS Matthews, but that’s a whole different story

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

Could you imagine if that's honestly what is going on. Like the likelihood is low but if it is what is happening and Nylander is in on it too and we've all been bashing when we should be thanking Willy, well then I'd be mighty happy and applauding all parties.

Reactions: Carltons Cup
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad