William Nylander Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Already been said, the longer this goes on, the better it is for the Leafs.

I think they'll get it done late october, and it'll be a lot closer to what the Leafs want than what Nylander wants.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Multiple sources have the leafs offering a market value deal, and Nylander looking for Draisaitl money, not just Dreger. Why so offended mate?

Because the "it's Nylander's fault" narrative doesn't exactly jive with what our team president said to the media a week ago where he talked about taking less to keep the boys together

I'm not offended, I just find this Dreger led narrative painful

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That is without doubt one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen, he's not his father you complete plank
then why is worthy of several articles on topic? I'm not sure why I'm a plank other than my opinion differs from your, you seem to have some pent up anger going on, maybe you should get offline for a while, maybe take a relaxing walk. Insulting poster's that have opposing views to your's is pretty childish, maybe you need a time out, that worked when my kids were acting up.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's not negotiation if he doesn't negotiate. Negotiation is give and take. You ask for 8 million, the Leafs come back at 6 and then they haggle back and forth until they reach a middle ground. Everything I've read says that it's still 8 million and hasn't come off it. Not sure what he thinks he's accomplishing if that's indeed is what is happening. It's just greedy. Reminds me of Alex Sanchez on Manchester United. Turned down a championship medal and the chance to play for Pep to follow the obscene money. There's only so much money that a person needs. It's not the same as you or I taking less, this is the difference between having enough money for 4 generations instead of 3.

There's two parties involved not just one, it doesn't exactly sound like the Leafs are bending either so why the hell should he? Nothing we've seen or heard suggests the Leafs are exactly fighting to talk either

Don't give me that "so much money" class warfare rubbish, he's entitled to fight for as much as he can get

Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
then why is worthy of several articles on topic? I'm not sure why I'm a plank other than my opinion differs from your, you seem to have some pent up anger going on, maybe you should get offline for a while, maybe take a relaxing walk. Insulting poster's that have opposing views to your's is pretty childish, maybe you need a time out, that worked when my kids were acting up.

You have just come up with the dumbest argument on here, which is saying something, he's not his father and I just hope your father was a good man because by your logic.....

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Because the "it's Nylander's fault" narrative doesn't exactly jive with what our team president said to the media a week ago where he talked about taking less to keep the boys together

I'm not offended, I just find this Dreger led narrative painful
If what the leafs were offering was really insulting then there would be leaks and info coming from the talking heads saying as much. The fact that no one from Nylander’s camp has come out to refute the reports of their sky high ask is also fairly telling.
I don’t see any chance that TML are lowballing willy and offering in the 5’s or anything like that, much better odds that his agent and dad are holding him out in hopes of getting that tarasenko-Draisaitl money.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You have just come up with the dumbest argument on here, which is saying something, he's not his father and I just hope your father was a good man because by your logic.....
sticks and stones little man........sticks and stones...............

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
it's a forum, I'll express my opinions without "watching what I say". Plenty of stories out there about how his father was a "Me First" player who didn't give a fiddler's f**k about the teams he played on. I'm concerned the apple don't fall far from the tree.

Plenty of poorly written stories doesn’t mean they are of worthy quality. It’s a lazy argument to say a kid has to be 100% like his father (not that his dad is anywhere near this arch villain that folks make him out to be)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If what the leafs were offering was really insulting then there would be leaks and info coming from the talking heads saying as much. The fact that no one from Nylander’s camp has come out to refute the reports of their sky high ask is also fairly telling.
I don’t see any chance that TML are lowballing willy and offering in the 5’s or anything like that, much better odds that his agent and dad are holding him out in hopes of getting that tarasenko-Draisaitl money.

Nylander's camp hasn't leaked anything, neither have we apparently, that's how you behave when you want to continue to work for the organization after all this is over

Much better odds? Did you listen to our team president the other day? Did that sound like they wanted to offer "market value"? I can't say that was my first thought after I heard that

sticks and stones little man........sticks and stones...............

Sticks and stones? Realize going down the his father was bad so he is to road isn't actually very smart are we?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's not negotiation if he doesn't negotiate. Negotiation is give and take. You ask for 8 million, the Leafs come back at 6 and then they haggle back and forth until they reach a middle ground. Everything I've read says that it's still 8 million and hasn't come off it. Not sure what he thinks he's accomplishing if that's indeed is what is happening. It's just greedy. Reminds me of Alex Sanchez on Manchester United. Turned down a championship medal and the chance to play for Pep to follow the obscene money. There's only so much money that a person needs. It's not the same as you or I taking less, this is the difference between having enough money for 4 generations instead of 3.

But how is Dreger a legitimate source now that his idiot cousin isn't the GM any more? From other accounts it sounds like both sides are very tight lipped.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Nylander is losing more leverage by the day.

Number one offense in the league without him.

Number one power play in the league without him.

Four of the top five scorers in the league without him.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Already been said, the longer this goes on, the better it is for the Leafs.

I think they'll get it done late october, and it'll be a lot closer to what the Leafs want than what Nylander wants.
for the record, I said "my concern is he's GOING to be a headcase like his father". I stand by my statement, I think it's more than POSSIBLE he becomes a player like his father. There are plenty of links to articles within the 14 versions of this thread that state his father screwed over pretty much every NHL team he played for, wasn't particularly liked by his teammates, and was thought of as a "me first" player. I didn't make this s**t up, I learned it from reading said articles.

Reactions: dsred

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
Multiple sources have the leafs offering a market value deal, and Nylander looking for Draisaitl money, not just Dreger. Why so offended mate?
Multiple sources. Has Dubas confirmed this? Has Nylander or his agent confirmed this? GTFO

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Jesus what is wrong with you

I like the Bill Bellichek style of player management. Also, it's not like Nylander is what's going to make us/break us. Set the tone that the Leafs won't overpay.

By any chance are you a union guy or an EI guy with that reaction?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nylander's camp hasn't leaked anything, neither have we apparently, that's how you behave when you want to continue to work for the organization after all this is over

Much better odds? Did you listen to our team president the other day? Did that sound like they wanted to offer "market value"? I can't say that was my first thought after I heard that

Sticks and stones? Realize going down the his father was bad so he is to road isn't actually very smart are we?
Realize going down the "his father was so bad, so he is too" isn't actually very smart, are you? I fixed that for you smarty pants. Perhaps before questioning one's intelligence you learn to properly compose a sentence?

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
This just keeps getting better and better for the Leafs :nod:. IF Nylander comes back to the Leafs, it will be comical to see how far behind he is compared to our big 3.

Reactions: rumman

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
"The apple doesn't fall far from the tree" seem like such a convenient argument. In my experience, it would probably be more accurate to say "if it rained apples from the sky, some of them will inevitably end up near the tree." People are their own persons.

Some sayings just irk me. "People don't change" tops the list. Convenient thing to say when you don't want to change, or don't want to believe in someone else.

Negotiations is not the same thing as haggling.

As for your last point, I have a rather disproportionate amount of acquaintances that have found success and the wealth that comes with it. More than a few of them liked to talk about how little money would mean if it came to it, and nobody lived up to those words. Every single one have changed their tune when the money is actually real. Suddenly that unimportant thing is the difference between being able to buy your daughter an apartment when she goes off to study, or having her share one with two strangers. It's so easy to talk like that when it's just a distant concept, but when the money becomes real, it's also real possibilities that you're dealing with.

Besides, it's not like that money disappears somewhere, down into the pockets of those who need them more. If Willy doesn't get it, another rich person does. Recent history shows that most often the money you leave on the table ends up going to someone who deserve it less than you do. And for all we know, Willy might want an extra million per year that he can donate to some worthy cause close to his heart.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Sports media is painfully pro-organization though. Just look at how things are reported. Willy not moving equals him being unreasonable. Leafs camp not moving equals them being savvy and patient. For all we know, the deal would be signed now if Leafs added another 500k and/or an NMC.

Almost time to move on..sick of talking about him
Great news! You don't have to.

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad