Speculation: Will the 11th Overall Pick be traded ?

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I don’t disagree. I’m coming at it from the perspective that the Canucks have got to June 28th and have been unsuccessful at shedding salary in any other way so that’s a bit of a factor.

What’s a realistic trade that you would consider?
That's tough. I can't get past my strong desire to punish the Blackhawks. If I were Allvin, I'd dangle a trade in front of their GM and then snatch it away at the last second. But I would consider a deal that returned their unprotected 2024 1st round pick.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I still insist that we at least explore what it would take to get Bedard. Acquiring him could affect this team (and his life) forever. I say whatever it takes. Gotta try at least...

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Lang

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I still insist that we at least explore what it would take to get Bedard. Acquiring him could affect this team (and his life) forever. I say whatever it takes. Gotta try at least...
Pointless effort, Bedard is already selling seasons tickets in Chicago and hasnt been drafted yet. Chicago fans would tear the stadium down

Reactions: Nick Lang

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
Chicago isn't trading him, they're selling to many seasons tickets already, it would be a PR disaster.

Our best bet

1. Bedard will play in the NHL this season at 18

2. He can become a UFA after 7 seasons of NHL experience

3. He loves home and does want to play here

4. He will be a 25 year old UFA if he wants

5. Canucks will be / should be fighting for cups by then. Petey and Hughes will be the Miller's of that group

6. He will sign in Van and bring the first cup to our city.

Book it

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I wouldn't be surprised if draft day we trade the #11, our 2024 1st (lottery protected), and Silovs to Columbus for #3 to draft Carlsson.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
I wouldn't be surprised if draft day we trade the #11, our 2024 1st (lottery protected), and Silovs to Columbus for #3 to draft Carlsson.
Why do people make up such nonsensical things to worry about

Really dude?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Chicago and Detroit have a ton of cap space and are probing every opportunity to move up in this draft and add to the picks they already have.

The Canucks are semi-desperate to create cap flexibility. Canucks, Hawks and Wings have already made major trades involving picks. The Canucks gave up a second rounder to unload Dickinson; and traded a first and second rounder to the Wings for Hronek.

Still a possibility that nothing happens and the Canucks go ahead and pick 11th, depending on who's still on the board. But would hardly be a 'stunner if they bundled the pick, along with one of their albatross contracts, and moved back in the draft.

Let's face it, when they blew the Islanders first rounder in the Horvat deal, along with their own second rounder to acquire Hronek, they were basically pushing all their chips into the middle of the table. They're not prepared to wait for draft picks to develop, with Hughes and Pettersson still in their primes.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
Chicago and Detroit have a ton of cap space and are probing every opportunity to move up in this draft and add to the picks they already have.

The Canucks are semi-desperate to create cap flexibility. Canucks, Hawks and Wings have already made major trades involving picks. The Canucks gave up a second rounder to unload Dickinson; and traded a first and second rounder to the Wings for Hronek.

Still a possibility that nothing happens and the Canucks go ahead and pick 11th, depending on who's still on the board. But would hardly be a 'stunner if they bundled the pick, along with one of their albatross contracts, and moved back in the draft.

Let's face it, when they blew the Islanders first rounder in the Horvat deal, along with their own second rounder to acquire Hronek, they were basically pushing all their chips into the middle of the table. They're not prepared to wait for draft picks to develop, with Hughes and Pettersson still in their primes.
Can’t wait to see people pretend they didn’t say this stuff when we pick at 11

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

- 4 out of the 5 teams with the most cap space are rebuilding teams..CHI and DET are two of those..That aint us.

- Desperate enough to give up a cost controlled impact player for a number of years..I'm not convinced..The asset you could obtain at #11 in this deep draft outweighs any cap flexibility moves.

-Blew the 1st rounder on Hronek...?...a 25 year old top 4 RHD..What were you expecting that the Canucks would have to give up..?...2 x 2nds..?

- They are prepared for draft picks to develop with EP and QH...Hopefully, the 11th OA can be in the lineup for the 2024-25 season..

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
So, how can the Canucks dump cap and improve next year without the 11 OA being involved?

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
So, how can the Canucks dump cap and improve next year without the 11 OA being involved?
You wait it out.

1. The Canucks were 6 wins out of a playoff spot despite not having Demko for most of the season and at the start a sub par Demko. That will change. He alone can get us 6 wins.

2. We had internal turmoil most of the Season. Bruce Fiasco, Bo, etc. That's all addressed and their is stability in the organization and structure,. That helps. Players can focus on hockey,

3. A healthy Mikhayev, a healthy OEL (despite all the haters, he has been good for us until last year, and he was playing the whole season on hurt foot, to ignore that, as many fans do is absurd. This is a pro athlete playing ice hockey on a bad foot. Skating is 90% of competitiveness in the NHL.

4. We added depth to our right side D in Hronek. This is an all star calibre dman. Our defense is better simply from OEL playing somewhat himself and Hronek's addition.

5. Myers is movable post his bonus, I've explained many times why, so if you think otherwise read my other posts, its very clear he has value, to whom and why, I've explained it and don't want to again.

6. Garland has value. He was 162 in ppg (0.60ppg) in the league. That's top 6 performance from a guy who got little top 6 time, mainly 3rd line and hardly any pp time. Teams couldn't make moves in season because no one had cap. Now offseason, teams have cap and holes. Someone will take him post UFA when they still have holes and didn't get the UFA they wanted. We don't have to throw in picks to rid cap.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
The Canucks cap issues are overstated.

They are in a good enough spot to where they can move salary to accommodate a move that comes up.

Garland can be Bjorkstranded and I expect this. Tochett has said he wants and they need more board players. The simple move is to shift Garland into a Barbashev type.

Myers is an expiring contract - if he is moveable at the deadline (seems generally accepted) it is a very small stretch to see value in him as a short term rental for a bad team to flip.

As an example... if Detroit could pay nothing for Myers right now, I think they would. Yzerman would play him half a season on a middling to tanking team and then trade him for a 1st or 2nd+ at the deadline. He'd have to fill the RD hole anyhow... this gets him picks for nothing.

Various players are overpaid and this has ballooned into everyone having negative value.

Tyler Myers is underrated. We don't actually have a 3RD replacement for him and it is overlooked how much Myers usage relieved the demands on our "1RD" playing with Hughes.

The RD spot with Hughes has been a 17-19 minute role. We have filled it with journeymen physical defenders and gotten excellent on ice results. Hughes has carried essentially any partner to sustainability.

It was just a year ago we all watched as Myers was injured and our blueline went to shit. It was noted here how we improved with his return. The ahl defenders used in his place were not adequate.

You all seem to hold this fantasy that Schenn was a better player regardless of the massive usage discrepancy. Schenn was sheltered by Hughes. Myers has been played 20+ minutes his whole career. NHL coaches have been playing him like he is an asset to them the whole time.

This place exaggerates Myers faults to comedic levels with pages of lol giraffe comments and it severely clouds the ability of this group to rational analyze his value.

The top end potential partners for Hughes - let's use Carlo and Tanev as examples- are guys who have averaged 18-20 minutes a night in the heavy defensive roles. These guys are 4-5 million dollar players - not impossible to find pieces.

I would be content with resigning Burroughs and trying finding a moderate upgrade over him. A Tanev or Carlo level player would be ideal but we can get high performance at low cost here while pushing our cap space elsewhere.

I think it is a very real possibility that Tyler Myers stays on the roster and we are the team that will value him as a playoff rental - much like the Isles just held Mayfield. I would add that re-signing Myers to a low-end contract (short term or low cap hit) after this year would be a nice way to fill our 3RD spot with a veteran who knows the team and handles the physical side of the game.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Chicago isn't trading him, they're selling to many seasons tickets already, it would be a PR disaster.

Our best bet

1. Bedard will play in the NHL this season at 18

2. He can become a UFA after 7 seasons of NHL experience

3. He loves home and does want to play here

4. He will be a 25 year old UFA if he wants

5. Canucks will be / should be fighting for cups by then. Petey and Hughes will be the Miller's of that group

6. He will sign in Van and bring the first cup to our city.

Book it

He'll be able to buy Sakic's old barbeque.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I'd be shocked that CBJ agreed to the deal. That'd be a homerun for us.

Reactions: m9

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Tyler Myers is underrated. We don't actually have a 3RD replacement for him and it is overlooked how much Myers usage relieved the demands on our "1RD" playing with Hughes.

It was just a year ago we all watched as Myers was injured and our blueline went to shit. It was noted here how we improved with his return. The ahl defenders used in his place were not adequate.

You all seem to hold this fantasy that Schenn was a better player regardless of the massive usage discrepancy. Schenn was sheltered by Hughes. Myers has been played 20+ minutes his whole career. NHL coaches have been playing him like he is an asset to them the whole time.

This place exaggerates Myers faults to comedic levels with pages of lol giraffe comments and it severely clouds the ability of this group to rational analyze his value.

Myers decision making, gap control (even at 6'7"), passing and defensive awareness were really bad last year.

I get that we over exaggerate how bad he is sometimes and his CAP doesn't help matters, but you're in the deep end with your analysis. It's far too nice.

Then saying we over-rate Schenn who had a great year in all the situations he was given. In one post you butter up Myers and trash Schenn - your analysis should seriously be questioned. Clearly you were watching different players last year.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Myers decision making, gap control (even at 6'7"), passing and defensive awareness were really bad last year.

I get that we over exaggerate how bad he is sometimes and his CAP doesn't help matters, but you're in the deep end with your analysis. It's far too nice.

Then saying we over-rate Schenn who had a great year in all the situations he was given. In one post you butter up Myers and trash Schenn - your analysis should seriously be questioned. Clearly you were watching different players last year.

Luke Schenn played excellent for us last year. He played 17 minutes a game to Myers 21. Then we traded Luke Schenn for a 3rd. Luke then played 13 minutes a game for his new team. Schenn may struggle to find a starting spot in free agency.

Schenn was more successful at his role than Myers was at his role last year. Myers role was much bigger.

Why can't any of the hockey people in this organization see that Schenn or Burroughs are better? Why didn't we just play that terrible player less?

If all you want to take from what I said is MYERS GOOD, SCHENN BAD then I would have to simply suggest you are exemplifying what I was talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
That's tough. I can't get past my strong desire to punish the Blackhawks. If I were Allvin, I'd dangle a trade in front of their GM and then snatch it away at the last second. But I would consider a deal that returned their unprotected 2024 1st round pick.
11 for 17 (or whatever pick they have) plus the second and a swap of firsts in 2024 no protection

I like it, doubt chicago would lol

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
If all you want to take from what I said is MYERS GOOD, SCHENN BAD then I would have to simply suggest you are exemplifying what I was talking about.
There's simply too much exemplifying going on. People are doing it all over the place. Stop, already.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Luke Schenn played excellent for us last year. He played 17 minutes a game to Myers 21. Then we traded Luke Schenn for a 3rd. Luke then played 13 minutes a game for his new team. Schenn may struggle to find a starting spot in free agency.

Schenn was more successful at his role than Myers was at his role last year. Myers role was much bigger.

Why can't any of the hockey people in this organization see that Schenn or Burroughs are better? Why didn't we just play that terrible player less?

Myers got big minutes and he played awful. That's really just the jist of it.

I totally get when there are over exaggerated takes on players; and I get that Myers is the brunt of jokes for game day threads. But he's not under-rated.

Schenn will easily get a contract this off-season. His puck retrieval and transitioning is good and he will easily crack a 3rd pairing roster spot. Leaf fans thought his play in the playoffs was quite good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad