Speculation: Will the 11th Overall Pick be traded ?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
But there is/was interest in Myers...I demonstrated that to you via Dregers post from last years TDL..and wasnt there something going down with the Islanders at the draft last year.?
Ya I don’t believe Dreger. No I don’t believe there was any Myers discussions with the Islanders. I thought it was around Miller

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I agree that it has nothing to do with the cap floor, but a passable 3rd-pairing d-man at $1M real salary for a lottery team is a no brainer. No reason to attach a 1st rounder to facilitate it.
Precisely,....utilizing the the 11th OA in a deep draft, as any form of cap dump is asinine...Just make the pick.

Reactions: VintageBure

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
If they have the space, I suppose, but the lack of that space has been a big problem league-wide for several years now. Not to mention that the ones most likely to have it are probably also going to overlap significantly with Myers' NTC list.

If Myers were a $3 million/year player, I could see a cheap team taking a flyer on him after his bonus is paid despite his cap hit.

But when he’s worth about half that at most I can’t see any team doing the Canucks a favour.
I tend to agree. The problem is that some people focus more on the player/salary/cap hit/term of contract, while not focusing enough on general market forces which by and large are far more important. We've seen, consistently, since the flat cap pandemic era NHL, that its extremely difficult to move any players with significant cap hit/term, and we've seen far better players who arguably out perform their contracts be moved for very little.

I think the following analogy is helpful:

A) I need to buy a car. I can buy a car from one of the 1000 current car sellers.

B) There are currently 900 people looking to buy one of the 1000 cars.

C) @Vector is trying to sell me he his Pontiac Aztec as I bumped into him at the airport where he communicated to me that he was immediately departing Canada forever to live in a nudist colony in Southern Spain and needed to sell his prized Aztec immediately.

Even though I need to buy a car, I absolutely won't be paying full value for @Vector 's Aztec because: (i) more people are trying to sell cars than buy them and (ii) I know @Vector, because of poor management, has to sell his car immediately. So again, people are focusing on me needing to buy a car, but should be focusing on the fact that more people are selling cars than buying, and @Vector horrible leverage.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It is irrelevant and was a throw away comment. I absolutely think Tanev would list Vancouver as one of his 10 teams. My own opinion, but Tanev seems like the guy to settle in somewhere, would have been happy to play his whole career in Vancouver, but JB happened, so will probably stay in Calgary now.

Your last comment here is also irrelevant. We're talking about Tanev's 10 team no trade list. Why do you think Tanev would have Vancouver as one of the 10 teams?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Your last comment here is also irrelevant. We're talking about Tanev's 10 team no trade list. Why do you think Tanev would have Vancouver as one of the 10 teams?

Refer to my first comment. The relationship is soured from how it ended, despite a management change. I don't think he wants to come back.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I tend to agree. The problem is that some people focus more on the player/salary/cap hit/term of contract, while not focusing enough on general market forces which by and large are far more important. We've seen, consistently, since the flat cap pandemic era NHL, that its extremely difficult to move any players with significant cap hit/term, and we've seen far better players who arguably out perform their contracts be moved for very little.

A) I need to buy a car. I can buy a car from one of the 1000 current car sellers.

C) @Vector is trying to sell me he his Pontiac Aztec as I bumped into him at the airport where he communicated to me that he was immediately departing Canada forever to live in a nudist colony in Southern Spain and needed to sell his prized Aztec immediately.

Even though I need to buy a car, I absolutely won't be paying full value for @Vector 's Aztec because: (i) more people are trying to sell cars than buy them and (ii) I know @Vector, because of poor management, has to sell his car immediately. So again, people are focusing on me needing to buy a car, but should be focusing on the fact that more people are selling cars than buying, and @Vector horrible leverage.

Good points but are there more RHD comparable to Myers that are available to acquire with his type of term vs teams looking to acquire one?

If you need to buy a car and there's a car that you think can be a good long term fit that's probably your first choice. But if not you're still looking and you know there are a lot of people looking. Your first and second choice might already have been sold.

If @Vector is only going to try out the nudist colony for a year and offered to lease you his prized Aztec for a year at what you consider to be market value, you believe you could easily lease it to someone else later on if you don't like it, and you have the option to buy for a cheap price if you want to keep it, wouldn't that be attractive? It immediately solves a need with relatively very little commitment. Of course, you might want to thoroughly wash the car seats...

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

isn't it more like @Vector is selling you a lease on an Aztec that expires in a year because @Vector is joining a nudist colony in Southern Spain, and he's already paid off 10/12 months already, but the gasoline prices for an Aztec will affect your monthly costs compared to that of a comparable hybrid? You are also free to lease it to someone else for a sum to re-coup costs if you find a better lease agreement. Either way, @Vector loses because we keep tagging him.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Good points but are there more RHD comparable to Myers that are available to acquire with his type of term vs teams looking to acquire one?
That's a good point. Point B of my analogy was actually in reference to the fact that more teams were trying to dump dead cap than teams trying to acquiring dead cap. Of course position would be factor in determining whether Myers' is "dead cap", but I think even taking into consideration this, he still is.

If you need to buy a car and there's a car that you think can be a good long term fit that's probably your first choice. But if not you're still looking and you know there are a lot of people looking. Your first and second choice might already have been sold.

If @Vector is only going to try out the nudist colony for a year and offered to lease you his prized Aztec for a year at what you consider to be market value, you believe you could easily lease it to someone else later on if you don't like it, and you have the option to buy for a cheap price if you want to keep it, wouldn't that be attractive? It immediately solves a need with relatively very little commitment. Of course, you might want to thoroughly wash the car seats...

I think this is true but its also more focusing on "buyer side" factors, and my whole point is that I think people are too focused on this. Don't get me wrong, you can come up with several logical reasons why a team may have interest in Myers, but ultimately, I am not sure if these would ever lead a team to actually give up value for Myers given the general market dynamics which was the point of my analogy.

isn't it more like @Vector is selling you a lease on an Aztec that expires in a year because @Vector is joining a nudist colony in Southern Spain, and he's already paid off 10/12 months already, but the gasoline prices for an Aztec will affect your monthly costs compared to that of a comparable hybrid? You are also free to lease it to someone else for a sum to re-coup costs if you find a better lease agreement. Either way, @Vector loses because we keep tagging him.
Sure, you could use a lease as an analogy and that would be more in line with what the situation actually is, but I don't think it really adds anything to the analogy.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I don’t understand why there is presumed interest in Myers any time before the trade deadline. The idea that there are “cap floor” teams who would take on his large hit at low salary seems very specious to me. Who are these “cap floor” teams, beyond Arizona? The cap hit is the main reason Myers is not valuable, the salary is secondary.

Yeah. Arizona has over 21m next year in Weber, Voracek, and Little. They should have no problems reaching the cap floor by just filling out their roster. Getting a pick to take on Myers contract and getting another pick for Myers 50% at the deadline may make some sense to them. Arizona would likely be on his no trade list though, and Arizona will probably have lots of teams calling them to fix their cap space problems.

Cap floor is specious, but there are *cheap* teams (Ottawa, Winnipeg, Ducks, etc) that would value his actual salary over his cap hit.

Ottawa and Winnipeg won’t have the cap space. Winnipeg has 13m in cap space but has to sign 8 players to have 23 players. Ottawa has 28m but has to sign Debrincat, Pinto, a goalie, and needs 12 players to reach 23. Anaheim may be a possibility but will likely be on Myers no trade list.

Plus Walter White really destroyed the market on Aztecs by selling his for 50 dollars.

Reactions: Lindgren

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Which would you prefer if you had to pick one, a Pontiac Aztec or PT Cruiser? (Optional woody siding on the cruiser if you like.)

Reactions: Frostage

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Which would you prefer if you had to pick one, a Pontiac Aztec or PT Cruiser? (Optional woody siding on the cruiser if you like.)
I think this might be the only time where I would choose Jim Benning above the other options

Reactions: rypper

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Garbage..he has brothers on the team..He's probably never even met ownership....Ownership didnt let him go to UFA.

Exactly how much of the team does Tanev know well from spending years growing with them. Practically none. A few youngsters he spent a year or so with and then what? How many players had he spent 5 years with as team mates?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
There was interest in OEL years ago too.
What’s your point…?..OEL has a NMC.

Once Myers bonus is paid..and if the Canucks retain some salary,he can be moved without giving up assets.

Not that hard to grasp.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Exactly how much of the team does Tanev know well from spending years growing with them. Practically none. A few youngsters he spent a year or so with and then what? How many players had he spent 5 years with as team mates?
He’s almost 34 for chrissakes…most of the players in the first half of his career have retired….He’s spent just as much time with players in the Flames roster as with the Canucks players.

He was (and still is) a popular former player on the Canucks …and am sure he’d be welcomed back with open arms….The folks responsible for not re-signing him have left the building

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Just saw a mock draft that had Moore, Danielson, ASP, Willander and Wood available at 12 or lower. If on draft day do you trade 11oa and Garland for 19 and a 2nd...roll thw dice one of them is there?

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad