Speculation: Will the 11th Overall Pick be traded ?

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Who among us doesn't have a personal BBQ salesman?
I'm actually myself am BBQ Salesman and I've recently opened a new office to better serve the lower mainland/Vancouver Island..... my firm is accepting applications but I warn you, you must be able to prove your income of $250,000 in a household or we will hang up the phone immediately.

Reactions: quat and Lindgren

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I wouldn't be surprised if draft day we trade the #11, our 2024 1st (lottery protected), and Silovs to Columbus for #3 to draft Carlsson.

I would. Trades like that simply do not exist except in the heads of fans who have not looked at historical trade up packages.

Edit: Ok I totally blanked and didn't see that you threw in our 2024 1st. That would not be a good idea to say the least—this team has to maintain it's golden parachute if the season goes off the rails once again.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I would. Trades like that simply do not exist except in the heads of fans who have not looked at historical trade up packages.

If Skeletor thought trading away the Horvat pick in this deep draft year for an injured Hronek is a good idea, then I can definitely see him eyeing how to trade away our 11th overall for a bag of meat and potatoes, maybe with some magic beans sprinkled on top.

Of course, it is also because the hockey part of my brain has been completely rewired thanks to JEB, that I will always expect THE worst possible outcome in my mind, while bracing my body for a solid dick punch.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Our last trade up attempt that was confirmed was 6, 24, and and injured prospect (shinkaruk) for 1

I wonder how long florida thought about that proposal from Benning

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
If Skeletor thought trading away the Horvat pick in this deep draft year for an injured Hronek is a good idea, then I can definitely see him eyeing how to trade away our 11th overall for a bag of meat and potatoes, maybe with some magic beans sprinkled on top.

Of course, it is also because the hockey part of my brain has been completely rewired thanks to JEB, that I will always expect THE worst possible outcome in my mind, while bracing my body for a solid dick punch.
Hronek is a 25 year old excellent RD who plays physical, can skate and was on pace for 52 pts. His injury is not some big worry like Eichel's neck. He'll be fine by season start. What price do you expect to pay for a 25 yr old RD with that level of ability?

People have to stop with such nonsense about what we gave up and his 'injury', the whining over it is absurd, along with acting like his injury is some huge risk...its not.

The team / core is stronger with Hronek (and we paid fair value for that age /talent / position of player) and people act like (15th overall or whatever it was) is some guarantee to be something of value. Is that 15th over all guaranteed to be better than Hronek? Highly doubt that.

And you do realize, by having a young "anchor" on the second pair (where they should play him vs loading up the top pair), it makes our whole defense stronger right? Hughes won't have to play 25 mins a night, other depth players won't have to play up the lineup and above their heads / ability. OEL won't have to play out of his mind. In fact, if OEL is healthy (as he wasn't all last year) and simply plays as he did the year prior, our second pair is going to be very difficult to deal with.

The team is better stop the nonsense

Last edited:
Reactions: VancouverJagger

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Hronek is a 25 year old excellent RD who plays physical, can skate and was on pace for 52 pts. His injury is not some big worry like Eichel's neck. He'll be fine by season start. What price do you expect to pay for a 25 yr old RD with that level of ability?

People have to stop with such nonsense about what we gave up and his 'injury', the whining over it is absurd, along with acting like his injury is some huge risk...its not.

The team / core is stronger with Hronek (and we paid fair value for that age /talent / position of player) and people act like (15th overall or whatever it was) is some guarantee to be something of value. Is that 15th over all guaranteed to be better than Hronek? Highly doubt that.

And you do realize, by having a young "anchor" on the second pair (where they should play him vs loading up the top pair), it makes our whole defense stronger right? Hughes won't have to play 25 mins a night, other depth players won't have to play up the lineup and above their heads / ability. OEL won't have to play out of his mind. In fact, if OEL is healthy (as he wasn't all last year) and simply plays as he did the year prior, our second pair is going to be very difficult to deal with.

The team is better stop the nonsense

I've been hearing about the team getting better for a decade, nothing has gotten better, period. All we got was shit, shit, and more shit.

As for Hronek, his limited showing with the Orcas really did not provide enough evidence to say that he'll be a big contributor to the team's strength. Making assumptions of the best case scenario and assuming players like OEL will magically bounce back is precisely the mentality that caused the team so much f***ing assets for negative gains in the past.

Not to mention, how do you expect us to clear cap to extend him? What about Pete's extension? We basically brought in an injured rental player while the team has not had any real playoff success for almost a decade.

Reactions: quat

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
I've been hearing about the team getting better for a decade, nothing has gotten better, period. All we got was shit, shit, and more shit.

As for Hronek, his limited showing with the Orcas really did not provide enough evidence to say that he'll be a big contributor to the team's strength. Making assumptions of the best case scenario and assuming players like OEL will magically bounce back is precisely the mentality that caused the team so much f***ing assets for negative gains in the past.

Not to mention, how do you expect us to clear cap to extend him? What about Pete's extension? We basically brought in an injured rental player while the team has not had any real playoff success for almost a decade.
Yup and we have new management and they're trying to undo benning's mess

Not sure how you can talk about a 'decade' and put it on new management. last time I checked they've been here a year.

On OEL, the guy was playing on a bad foot the whole season, pretty sure for an athlete who skates and isn't playing sled hockey, the foot matters. He was very solid for us defensively the two years prior. His point totals are down because he doesn't get much PP time, he did in AZ. And when QH went down 2 years ago, he did a great job on the PP. One year on a bad foot does not a bad career make man.

Clear cap to extend Petey? Go look at cap friendly dude. Sitting pat for a year a number of contracts are gone. We extend petey his new contract doesn't kick in until 2024.

Not sure you know much about specifics. Seems like many canucks 'fans' you just want to gripe for the sake of griping.

There was a character in Winnie the Pooh like this, it was called Eyore. Everything is always depressing and sucks suck sucks....its an awful way to go through life dude. Its a sport and for fun, try to see the upside potential and be optimistic, its not supposed to make you upset. Life is hard enough as it is, creating more negativity isn't healthy.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Yup and we have new management and they're trying to undo benning's mess

Not sure how you can talk about a 'decade' and put it on new management. last time I checked they've been here a year.

On OEL, the guy was playing on a bad foot the whole season, pretty sure for an athlete who skates and isn't playing sled hockey, the foot matters. He was very solid for us defensively the two years prior. His point totals are down because he doesn't get much PP time, he did in AZ. And when QH went down 2 years ago, he did a great job on the PP. One year on a bad foot does not a bad career make man.

Clear cap to extend Petey? Go look at cap friendly dude. Sitting pat for a year a number of contracts are gone. We extend petey his new contract doesn't kick in until 2024.

Not sure you know much about specifics

Who puts anything on new management? I said the team has a decade of saying it's gonna be better every year and nothing has gotten better. You want to point out where I said this management is to blame for a decade of failure or anything along those lines?

Pete and Hronek, if you want to extend those two, how much do you think it's gonna cost? Pete might go for something like 11-12 mil, and Hronek, if he is to become that defense anchor player you say, will probably be...what, 7-8 mil? That's almost 20 million, more or less. How are we to clear this kind of cap space?

As for OEL, if you believe he'll bounce back, go ahead. I don't see him coming anywhere close to playing to his worth of 7+mil a year AND the 1st round pick we gave up.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Who puts anything on new management? I said the team has a decade of saying it's gonna be better every year and nothing has gotten better. You want to point out where I said this management is to blame for a decade of failure or anything along those lines?

Pete and Hronek, if you want to extend those two, how much do you think it's gonna cost? Pete might go for something like 11-12 mil, and Hronek, if he is to become that defense anchor player you say, will probably be...what, 7-8 mil? That's almost 20 million, more or less. How are we to clear this kind of cap space?

As for OEL, if you believe he'll bounce back, go ahead. I don't see him coming anywhere close to playing to his worth of 7+mil a year AND the 1st round pick we gave up.
Those guys are due for raises, it's not like we need to clear space for the entirety of their contracts. Just the difference, they are already handsomely paid now. Their likely increases combined are around what Boeser makes.

Not a big deal.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Those guys are due for raises, it's not like we need to clear space for the entirety of their contracts. Just the difference, they are already handsomely paid now. Their likely increases combined are around what Boeser makes.

Not a big deal.

You're right. I know Myers is coming off in a year. Pete will get 5 mil more, Hronek will probably get 3-4 mil more. Will we trade Boeser? How about Kuzmenko?

It feels like our team is thrusted into a position that they are wildly unprepared for, which is to get a cup-esque run in a year or two before either we lose significant pieces while having almost no assets to utilize.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023

Go read cap friendly

It’s your friend

And yes you’re blaming current management for ten years because if you weren’t you’d accept the people who made the past decisons aren’t here anymore

So not sure how you can say well they told us for ten years this and that would happen
Then say you’re not putting that on the current mgmt team

So weird

Enjoy life eyore there’s a rainy cloud over your head

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You're right. I know Myers is coming off in a year. Pete will get 5 mil more, Hronek will probably get 3-4 mil more. Will we trade Boeser? How about Kuzmenko?

It feels like our team is thrusted into a position that they are wildly unprepared for, which is to get a cup-esque run in a year or two before either we lose significant pieces while having almost no assets to utilize.

So Pettersson will be 12M & Hronek 8M?

Those are pretty big exaggerations.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Go read cap friendly

It’s your friend

And yes you’re blaming current management for ten years because if you weren’t you’d accept the people who made the past decisons aren’t here anymore

So not sure how you can say well they told us for ten years this and that would happen
Then say you’re not putting that on the current mgmt team

So weird

Enjoy life eyore there’s a rainy cloud over your head

I'm stating the fact that the last decade or so every year there's people saying the team will be better but it almost never turned out to be true. I did not blame the current management for a decade of failure. Stop misinterpreting my post and make up your own bullshit.

So Pettersson will be 12M & Hronek 8M?

Those are pretty big exaggerations.

How much do you feel like those two will get? Hronek for sure I'm taking a reach, but I don't think how much off I am with Pete, if he continues his trajectory.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
How much do you feel like those two will get? Hronek for sure I'm taking a reach, but I don't think how much off I am with Pete, if he continues his trajectory.

You weren't asking me, but there's been some speculation the Canucks will point at Matthew Tkachuk's deal when negotiating with Pettersson.

(Cap hit, not sure about the SB usage.)

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Our last trade up attempt that was confirmed was 6, 24, and and injured prospect (shinkaruk) for 1

I wonder how long florida thought about that proposal from Benning
Even though Reinhart (the target) would have been better than Virtanen and McCann I'm glad didn't happen. We still would have missed on Drai who went three.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
If they can get Pettersson signed this off-season I'd put him around 9.5M AAV. If he's not signed and has a better season this year, I don't think 11M is unrealistic and I would still sign that in a heartbeat.

Hronek's is a bit trickier. He won't be getting big PP like he was in Detroit - Hughes has that spot. I'd project he has a 40-45 pt season and good two way play. Thinking 6.5M if he has a good year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If they can get Pettersson signed this off-season I'd put him around 9.5M AAV. If he's not signed and has a better season this year, I don't think 11M is unrealistic and I would still sign that in a heartbeat.

Hronek's is a bit trickier. He won't be getting big PP like he was in Detroit - Hughes has that spot. I'd project he has a 40-45 pt season and good two way play. Thinking 6.5M if he has a good year.
I’d say that EP’s negotiations open with the number 10…

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
You weren't asking me, but there's been some speculation the Canucks will point at Matthew Tkachuk's deal when negotiating with Pettersson.

(Cap hit, not sure about the SB usage.)

Noted. I'm guessing if that's the case Pete's agent will point at Nathan MacKinnon's deal.

Fair enough. I myself don't see Pete going less than 10 mil though. As for Hronek, who's the most comparable defenseman?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Stupid idea: Myers and Garland for Ryan Johansen and a trade up for Nashville. This saves Vancouver 2,950,000 in cap...possibly more.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
I'm stating the fact that the last decade or so every year there's people saying the team will be better but it almost never turned out to be true. I did not blame the current management for a decade of failure. Stop misinterpreting my post and make up your own bullshit.

Not misinterpreting anything

anyone objective is aware we have a new regime here, complaining about the past has no bearing, it’s gone, it’s past, it was different management

different management left a mess, new management is trying to clean up that mess, as quick but also as intelligently as possible, such that they don’t recreate the same issues.

Therefore, if you’re complaining now about the past, by logic you’re putting the blame on current management. That is basic logic and implicit in your complaints whether you like it or not.

if you’re NOT putting the blame on current management as you say, logic would dictate that you’d understand that complaining about the past and past comments / decisions has no bearing on the current mgmt, because it is two different groups.

It’s like complaining a new employee is going to be ineffective because the one you fired was ineffective for ten years.

There’s no correlation.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Not misinterpreting anything

anyone objective is aware we have a new regime here, complaining about the past has no bearing, it’s gone, it’s past, it was different management

different management left a mess, new management is trying to clean up that mess, as quick but also as intelligently as possible, such that they don’t recreate the same issues.

Therefore, if you’re complaining now about the past, by logic you’re putting the blame on current management. That is basic logic and implicit in your complaints whether you like it or not.

if you’re NOT putting the blame on current management as you say, logic would dictate that you’d understand that complaining about the past and past comments / decisions has no bearing on the current mgmt, because it is two different groups.

It’s like complaining a new employee is going to be ineffective because the one your fired was ineffective for ten years.

There’s no correlation.

So according to your logic, anyone who complains about how the team is now is unfairly blaming previous management's failure on the current one? Would you like to take that logic and jump on ALL the posters who's said anything negative about the team in the last two years?

If I didn't say this already, let me make it crystal clear for you: I did not blame what the team is like now on the current management in my statement - despite Skeletor and Moleman did their share of stupid crap, I merely stated the fact that the team has not had success for a decade despite every year there are people saying that the team will be better. So if you say now the team is better, I remain skeptical.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad