Will Patrick Marleau break Gordie Howe's record?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Just like they signed him last season, right? When he played in every single game he was eligible for?

It only feels 'cheap' because you don't know what you're talking about, which has been common itt.

Right. As if they’d bring in a 41 year old if there wasn’t this record.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

lol

You actually think an NHL team is going to sign a player just so he can 'get a record'? No team is going to bring in any player unless they think he is a better player than other options. Adorably cute concept you have, NOT.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Lalime had the record for most wins to start a career, while Reese had most points in a game I believe (that crazy Flames-Sharks game where Fleury had a shorthanded hat trick?) Don't know what Hackett did though.

Great work! (Minor quibble: Lalime's streak is the longest career-starting undefeated streak at sixteen; he had two ties in the mix - Ray Emery actually holds the career-starting winning streak with nine.)

Hackett currently holds the NHL record for longest shutout streak to start a career.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They started last season without him with hopes the young guys could step up in bottom 6 roles. It took 3 games to realize they wouldn't. Marleau was much better than any of them after he was signed. Quit talking like you know anything about the Sharks or their situation. You only care because Howe is involved.

Reactions: Alwalys

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This is literally the opposite of an artificial record

We're talking about a player who was good enough to break into the league as an 18 year old, and who was still good enough to pot double-digit goals as a 40 year old, who never missed any significant stretch of time due to injuries in all that time, played 10 or more playoff games in 9 different seasons, and still has a chance to break the regular season games played record after missing a season and a half of potential play due to labor stoppages

Artificial is like when the Sedin twins extended their iron man streaks by playing one shift in a meaningless regular season game, Patrick Marleau has been deemed a good enough player to be iced by NHL rosters for the last 23 years and has played in the vast majority of his teams' games

I think some posters are getting their panties in a bunch because their myopic mindsets can't separate the ideas that playing the most games and being an all-time great player are two vastly different things, but playing that many games for that long is still a big accomplishment; no one claims that Marc Recchi, Shane Doan or Matt Cullen are amongst the 20 most important, or best, or whatever criteria you want players ever, but they are amongst the top 20 in games played because they literally played that many games, which is in and of itself a huge feat

It doesn't mean that Patrick Marleau will be remembered as one of the best to ever do it like Gordie Howe is, but it is still an incredible feat that we may not see surpassed for a generation or more

TBH with you, and not directed at you. I can't tell which group is getting their panties in a bunch more - the people whining about him getting the record, or the people whining about the whiners. There seems to be an amazing lack of self awareness with the group crying about other people not enjoying the potential record breaking, that they label as crying. Seems like Marleau's close family is in here at some points :laugh:.

On topic,
I think some are just having difficulty reconciling what Howe played through to reach that many games, versus what Marleau played through to reach that many games. I also think longevity in any form is impressive, but there was something more impressive about the way Howe did it. At the end of the day, Marleau will break the record, and it will mean something to his fans, just like it did/does to Howe's. I don't really subscribe to the labour stoppages being important, given how much time Howe lost to season length and the WHA. Valuing the old record higher than what is about to happen doesn't really come down to myopic mindsets, if you want to talk about a myopic mindset, look no further than the poster claiming its more impressive to do it in this era than Howe's. More games per season, more teams (more roster spots), etc. Howe played through pretty well a broken 'everything' at some point in his career.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
TBH with you, and not directed at you. I can't tell which group is getting their panties in a bunch more - the people whining about him getting the record, or the people whining about the whiners. There seems to be an amazing lack of self awareness with the group crying about other people not enjoying the potential record breaking, that they label as crying. Seems like Marleau's close family is in here at some points :laugh:.

On topic,
I think some are just having difficulty reconciling what Howe played through to reach that many games, versus what Marleau played through to reach that many games. I also think longevity in any form is impressive, but there was something more impressive about the way Howe did it. At the end of the day, Marleau will break the record, and it will mean something to his fans, just like it did/does to Howe's. I don't really subscribe to the labour stoppages being important, given how much time Howe lost to season length and the WHA. Valuing the old record higher than what is about to happen doesn't really come down to myopic mindsets, if you want to talk about a myopic mindset, look no further than the poster claiming its more impressive to do it in this era than Howe's. More games per season, more teams (more roster spots), etc. Howe played through pretty well a broken 'everything' at some point in his career.
Bs. You and 10k other Oilers fans would be reacting the same if one of your franchise players was getting relentlessly, and ignorantly bashed for coming close to a record. Some of the things I've seen written in here about Marleau are disgusting and sad. (Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
And honestly it should of been broken nearly 2 years ago, but he has missed 130+ games due to the lockouts/pandemic.

Reactions: Fixxer

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You mean a guy who never put it all on the line deserves that record because he accumulated useless games?

Its the Games played record, how are any games any player played in a=useless in this metric.

Also what does a guy putting it on the line mean and WTF does it have to with the games played record.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I don't get some comments here. For some people it seems that Mr. Hockey is entitled to his records, that his Career GPs played would be someway untouchable, and any guy even thinking about reaching the same ball parks, guilty to sacrilegious pissing onto a grave. Ridiculous.

Mr. Howe himself probably think its awesome someone making so long, healthy and successful career to even make close to his numbers.

I'd say that anyone who have a real chance and possibility to break ANY of all time records including longevity records should consider it their responsibility.

Hopefully Marleau still plays NHL when he is 50+ years old, without leaving to other leagues. Hopefully he'll end up to break the record with several hundreds games gap to Howe's achievement.

I simply don't get it how it can be anyhow bad thing if some record is broken, Gordie's or anyone else's.
That was in baseball and about homeruns, but breaking a record has a social aspect to it, where people want their important figures to hold these records. ESPN Classic - Maris battled Mantle, media and Babe's legacy

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
if Marleau breaks the record by even one game, he will have played 1000 more games than current HHoFers:

Pavel Bure
Eric Lindros
Bobby Orr
Cam Neeley
Mike Bossy
Peter Forsberg

Here are a few other HH0F inductees that couldn't reach 1000 games:

Paul Kariya
Peter Stastny
Mario Lemiuex
Igor Larianov

Point being, even if longevity (i.e. games played) doesn't have the same weight as counting stats like points, it still is incredibly valuable and noteworthy, especially if it comes in the form of a record. Marleau isn't some nobody, slouch player; he has 562 goals and 1188 points, 2 Olympic golds, and is 7th all time in GWG. Taking out games played from the equation, he is right in the "Hall of Very Good" category, and with an NHL record for games played, would fit squarely in the HHoF.

Here's a genuine question: Whose career was more valuable to their primary franchise, Cam Neeley to Boston or Patrick Marleau to SJ?

Here's another: Of those two, whose overall hockey career was more noteworthy?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Here's a genuine question: Whose career was more valuable to their primary franchise, Cam Neeley to Boston or Patrick Marleau to SJ?

Marleau (barely), and then Cam Neely. I'll take his 4 seasons as a superstar (4 seasons on the AS team) vs. Marleau's 6ish years as a first-line forward (no major hardware).

I dislike the whole "valuable to their primary franchise", but consider Thornton (playoff failings aside) from 2006-2013ish vs. Marleau's entire SJ career. Thornton's run is more noteworthy.

That's not to say that Marleau shouldn't be in the hall or that somehow he isn't an NHL player (this premise that because of his age, he automatically is not NHL worthy), given his decent 2020 season.

I forgot that part in A&P where the human body definitively loses the ability to play in the NHL at age 41.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Marleau (barely), and then Cam Neely. I'll take his 4 seasons as a superstar (4 seasons on the AS team) vs. Marleau's 6ish years as a first-line forward (no major hardware).

I dislike the whole "valuable to their primary franchise", but consider Thornton (playoff failings aside) from 2006-2013ish vs. Marleau's entire SJ career. Thornton's run is more noteworthy.

That's not to say that Marleau shouldn't be in the hall or that somehow he isn't an NHL player (this premise that because of his age, he automatically is not NHL worthy), given his decent 2020 season.

Yea, in asking the questions, to which there is no right answer, I wanted people to consider the value in longevity. Neely's dominant peak was not met with championship success or individual hardware, and he was often too injured in key moments (like the 94 playoffs), whereas Marleau's longer career saw him be part of two Olympic gold teams and be a more steady and reliable contributor to his teams, even if he was never a superstar.

Selection is subjective, of course

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
if Marleau breaks the record by even one game, he will have played 1000 more games than current HHoFers:

Pavel Bure
Eric Lindros
Bobby Orr
Cam Neeley
Mike Bossy
Peter Forsberg

Paul Kariya
Peter Stastny
Mario Lemiuex
Igor Larianov

Point being, even if longevity (i.e. games played) doesn't have the same weight as counting stats like points, it still is incredibly valuable and noteworthy, especially if it comes in the form of a record. Marleau isn't some nobody, slouch player; he has 562 goals and 1188 points, 2 Olympic golds, and is 7th all time in GWG. Taking out games played from the equation, he is right in the "Hall of Very Good" category, and with an NHL record for games played, would fit squarely in the HHoF.

All of those players were better than Marleau and all of them have much more hardware / better statistical finishes. Marleau has been blessed with great health but he is a compiler.

He shouldn't be inducted into the HHOF just because he has the GP record. Should Doug Jarvis be inducted because he played almost 1,000 straight games?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Howe's record is bound to fall soon. However, the record itself is for NHL games and that's just a number. Everyone who knows about hockey knows that Howe also played 419 games in the WHA, which was a legit professional league in competition with the NHL. The WHA wasn't a bush league. It had legit stars, like Howe and Hull.

So yes, Howe's record for most "NHL Games" will be beaten. Howe will also be the pro hockey player with the longest career and most games played though...well maybe until we have some major medical breakthrough that reverses aging.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Paul Kariya
Peter Stastny
Mario Lemiuex
Igor Larianov

when larionov played his last NHL game he was two years older than marleau is now. him playing almost 1,000 NHL games, plus another two seasons’ worth of games in the playoffs, after already playing his entire prime in the soviet union is one of hockey’s most stunning feats of longevity.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
All of those players were better than Marleau and all of them have much more hardware / better statistical finishes. Marleau has been blessed with great health but he is a compiler.

He shouldn't be inducted into the HHOF just because he has the GP record. Should Doug Jarvis be inducted because he played almost 1,000 straight games?

No, because Doug Jarvis was an otherwise mediocre player. He had 4 cups on a dynasty, played in the late 70s through the 80's and still scored 20 goals only once. Marleau has had a more notable career in the NHL and internationally, and, compiler or not, will retire behind only ~20 guys in goals and ~50 guys in points.

My point is that the all-time games played record - a remarkable feat of physical and mental strength, durability, and dedication to the game - should be enough to push Marleau into the Hall of Fame. His accomplishments + a major league record together are worthy of fame.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

More ppg seasons than Toews...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No, because Doug Jarvis was an otherwise mediocre player. He had 4 cups on a dynasty, played in the late 70s through the 80's and still scored 20 goals only once. Marleau has had a more notable career in the NHL and internationally, and, compiler or not, will retire behind only ~20 guys in goals and ~50 guys in points.

My point is that the all-time games played record - a remarkable feat of physical and mental strength, durability, and dedication to the game - should be enough to push Marleau into the Hall of Fame. His accomplishments + a major league record together are worthy of fame.

No it shouldn't. I dont want to demean the accomplishment but 1700 something games of mostly average/slightly above average play is not notable. Look at the top GP guys - Howe, Jagr, Mess - they accomplished so much more than Marleau. Sure he has some Olympic Gold Medals, but Canada wins those with or without him, other than that he actually has 0 total accomplishments. Not a single AST (peaked at 4th in voting), was top 10 in goals twice (never really close to leading in goals either). So yea, he'll be the answer to a trivia question and have the most GP going for him but that in itself is certainly not worthy of HHOF enshrinement. He'd be the weakest inductee of all time or at least, one of the worst.

More ppg seasons than Toews...

Shouldn't even reply to this, but not sure what Toews has to do with this thread. Its about Marleau potentially playing the most games in NHL history.

Carry on.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
2 Stanley Cups. A reverse sweep of the Sharks

The Sharks are the only team in California to not have a Cup and are trending downward.
Got curb stomped in the 2016 series when SJ won the conference, 0 series wins in half a decade, and are still down.

I'm a 49ers fan. I know all about throwing ancient history in someone's face. Obama wasn't even halfway through his second term the last time the Kings were relevant ffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad