Will Patrick Marleau break Gordie Howe's record?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I knew Thornton and Marleau had been around for seemingly forever. I didn't realize that Marleau is 45 games away from breaking Gordie Howe's games played record though.

As a pending UFA do you think a team signs him and he gets enough games in to break the record or will the coming shortened season keep him from being able to break it?

I wonder if it's plausible if the season is say 48 regular season games. At this point is Marleau good enough to avoid being a healthy scratch? Will be interesting to see if/when he approaches said milestone.

Reactions: uncleben

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Worst take I've read in a long time. If he can still play, wants to play, and a team could use him he should do it.

Yeah I wasn't expecting a take like his. It's a record that only he probably even has a chance at. Thornton is about 70 games behind Patty and Chara 200 games. Nobody else is even close.

Reactions: MalkinsPierogi

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I think he goes back to San Jose.

They probably want him breaking the games record while he is a part of their roster.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Wow I had no idea. Yes, it is plausible and I hope he does. That record will be beaten for sure at some point. What won't be is the age at which Howe played. Also, Howe played in the WHA and in shorter seasons in the NHL. Takes nothing away from Howe. Would just be a great honor for Marleau.

Reactions: Digital Kid

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Truely hope so! Maybe we can finally downgrade Howe from the big 4 after that. Everyone knows he doesnt deserve that place to begin with

Reactions: HabsQC

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Wow I had no idea. Yes, it is plausible and I hope he does. That record will be beaten for sure at some point. What won't be is the age at which Howe played. Also, Howe played in the WHA and in shorter seasons in the NHL. Takes nothing away from Howe. Would just be a great honor for Marleau.

Re: Howe, I think you could argue breaking the record vs todays athletes is more of an achievement than what Howe did. It'd be a tough argument to make but you could make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad