Will Patrick Marleau break Gordie Howe's record?

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Somebody has to do it, no big deal. The Hall of Fame is going to ask Marleau for his hockey stick when he's going to pass Howe, and that's going to be the closest Marleau will be to be in the HOF. He can bring his children and grandchildren to the HOF after that, and tell them that his hockey stick has made it to the HOF. Still pretty cool.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016

122690561_690157824958263_7025630127418767321_n.png

299896.0.jpg

Last edited:

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
if he had any respect for the history of the game, he should not pursue it and leave it to Howe
Players should probably stop scoring goals too, right? Wouldn't want anyone to break a scoring record. Oh but then goalies would do to well... Wouldn't want any of them to break a save/wins record.

What a dumb, horrible take. Your analysis implies that the first time someone plays a game in the sport and sets the game record, no one should be allowed to play that sport since it's "disrespectful" to break records.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Pretty sad your basing your opinion on 5th graders great canadian report. . Im basing mine on the research Ive done as an adult in an age where all the accumilated knowledge of our species is accessable in an instant.

A fifth grader knows nothing, understands nothing, has no idea of how to conduct any kind of meaningful research. But this is actually a good analogy for Gordie. Only a blind 5th grade fan boy who has been brain washed by his white trash dad to adore his childhood hero can think Gordie is anything but an average Joe put on a pedestal cause he played for quater of a century.

His point went so far over your head that it landed in Resolute.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
yikes why all the Marleau dismissal? Guy is a phenomenal player I wish him well and hope he finds a way to get there. Heck 1 year league minimum contract to the wings? I think when someone gets close to such an unbeatable record it helps shed some light on what an accomplishmenet it is. To even get close is remarkable.

Reactions: Iapyi

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Good argument. That's why players like Gartner and Andreychuk absolutely belong in the Hall of Fame. I never understood why a short-lived peak is so overvalued on this site.

I agree.

I don't know when this whole concept of players being "Compilers" became such a concept but it is an absolutely stupid argument. It is the biggest piece of poop argument that I have ever heard in my life about anything.

My thought is that some idiot was losing an argument with someone and desperately used this piece of poop concept in desperation and some 'geniuses' latched onto it. It's an embarrassment to all hockey fans.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Players should probably stop scoring goals too, right? Wouldn't want anyone to break a scoring record. Oh but then goalies would do to well... Wouldn't want any of them to break a save/wins record.

What a dumb, horrible take. Your analysis implies that the first time someone plays a game in the sport and sets the game record, no one should be allowed to play that sport since it's "disrespectful" to break records.

When Cal Ripken played his 2131st consecutive game, he broke the great Lou Gehrig's record, which had stood for 56 years. I don't remember the reaction being anything but positive.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
As bad as some of the Marleau takes have been in this thread, some of these Howe takes are even worse, though I suspect they may just be trolling

There is NO argument for Howe lower than being the 4th greatest player of all time, and I think he's still #3, he was the GOAT when he played and was only surpassed once Bobby Orr came along

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Somebody has to do it, no big deal. The Hall of Fame is going to ask Marleau for his hockey stick when he's going to pass Howe, and that's going to be the closest Marleau will be to be in the HOF. He can bring his children and grandchildren to the HOF after that, and tell them that his hockey stick has made it to the HOF. Still pretty cool.
He's getting in. Hhof isn't that exclusive.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I agree.

I don't know when this whole concept of players being "Compilers" became such a concept but it is an absolutely stupid argument. It is the biggest piece of poop argument that I have ever heard in my life about anything.

My thought is that some idiot was losing an argument with someone and desperately used this piece of poop concept in desperation and some 'geniuses' latched onto it. It's an embarrassment to all hockey fans.
When I bring up the fact that every single player is a compiler since we're dealing with counting stats, heads start exploding and fence lines shift.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad