Will Patrick Marleau break Gordie Howe's record?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
if he had any respect for the history of the game, he should not pursue it and leave it to Howe
Nonsense. He is a professional athlete and this is his career. Like you, me and everyone else, he should strive to achieve everything he can in his career and not feel guilty about his accomplishments. If he can break the games played record congratulations to him. Would it even really be a meaningful record anyway if players intentionally avoided breaking it?

Reactions: JBeast

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
No, because Doug Jarvis was an otherwise mediocre player. He had 4 cups on a dynasty, played in the late 70s through the 80's and still scored 20 goals only once. Marleau has had a more notable career in the NHL and internationally, and, compiler or not, will retire behind only ~20 guys in goals and ~50 guys in points.

doug jarvis centered one of the great checking lines of all time, with gainey on the left and jimmy roberts on the right. as you note, they won four straight cups.

after he left montreal, jarvis won a selke, finished second the year after, and has one other year in the top five from when he was still a hab.

i'm not saying jarvis was hall of fame-calibre, but he was a great great and incredibly successful defensive player. reading out his scoring stats from hockey-reference and calling him a mediocre player is an incredibly inaccurate way to characterize his career.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Nonsense. He is a professional athlete and this is his career. Like you, me and everyone else, he should strive to achieve everything he can in his career and not feel guilty about his accomplishments. If he can break the games played record congratulations to him. Would it even really be a meaningful record anyway if players intentionally avoided breaking it?
Right. Add the fact it won't change anyone's view of Howe whatsoever.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Got curb stomped in the 2016 series when SJ won the conference, 0 series wins in half a decade, and are still down.

I'm a 49ers fan. I know all about throwing ancient history in someone's face. Obama wasn't even halfway through his second term the last time the Kings were relevant ffs.

You mean ancient history like that Uncle Rico line?

I'm a Falcons fan. I know what it is to watch my team choke away a title.

The Sharks look like a team on the decline. It's a good thing they had the number five pick this year to help their barren prospect pool.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
These ends of careers are so depressing and legacy tarnishing imo. Just go away. It becomes a circus
Yeah man I hope they pelt Old Man Marleau with some wilting tomatoes.

Even if no one’s live at the game, a part of his salary should be set aside to pay a couple of tossers to toss him up from by the bench.

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Yeah man I hope they pelt Old Man Marleau with some wilting tomatoes.

Even if no one’s live at the game, a part of his salary should be set aside to pay a couple of tossers to toss him up from by the bench.

If games of the next season are played in bubbles, without live audiences, some kind of interactive remote controlled tomato tossing automatons at the rink would be essential for everyone to enjoy fully from Patrick's last efforts in his desperate to skate in the history, against all odds and against the father time.

Few more years! Few more years! Few more years!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Didn't realize Marleau played that many games, and looking at his career it just dawned on me that he's the modern version of Mike Gartner. Coincidentally Gartner's final season was Marleau's rookie year.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
If Babcock was his coach, he'd sit him just enough to make him miss the milestone.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
You mean ancient history like that Uncle Rico line?

I'm a Falcons fan. I know what it is to watch my team choke away a title.

The Sharks look like a team on the decline. It's a good thing they had the number five pick this year to help their barren prospect pool.
3rd pick, actually.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'm saying you can't deny him of it for he will have earned it, but of all the great players there have been in this league.....Marleau?

The guy who plays the most games doesn’t have to be the best player. Besides, it’s not like he’s bad. He’s had a very good career.

Reactions: mattihp

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Didn't realize Marleau played that many games, and looking at his career it just dawned on me that he's the modern version of Mike Gartner. Coincidentally Gartner's final season was Marleau's rookie year.

Not exactly. Marleau is a compiler, Gartner was just an incredibly consistent player. Gartner scored 30 goals every year except his rookie year, the lockout shortened 95 season and his final year. He retired after he could no longer pot 30/year and didnt stick around to pad his totals. Tho both were lucky enough to have been healthy pretty much their entire careers.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Not exactly. Marleau is a compiler, Gartner was just an incredibly consistent player. Gartner scored 30 goals every year except his rookie year, the lockout shortened 95 season and his final year. He retired after he could no longer pot 30/year and didnt stick around to pad his totals. Tho both were lucky enough to have been healthy pretty much their entire careers.

Could you explain to me the whole "compiler" take? It seems odd to call someone a stat compiler as a negative thing. Yeah, he compiled stats. Awesome! I wish someone would do that for the Wild!

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
if he had any respect for the history of the game, he should not pursue it and leave it to Howe

Obviously, If Howe stayed in the NHL, the record wouldn't be approached.

My opinion is that records are meant to be broken and as long as Marleau isn't just skating around and sucking, looking like someone who should've hung them up long ago, he should go for it. Not saying his play needs to be on par of that of a top liner, but if he can play on the 4th line and be productive, no problem with him breaking the record. It seems every Sharks fan says he is still productive enough on the 4th line. They watch him night in and night out, not just a small sample like the rest of us. I'll take their word on it.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Could you explain to me the whole "compiler" take? It seems odd to call someone a stat compiler as a negative thing. Yeah, he compiled stats. Awesome! I wish someone would do that for the Wild!

because when it comes time for things like Hall discussion, people will point to his career totals "but 500 goals/1000 points" etc and ignore that it took him more games than anyone has played to get there. They look like greatness without ever being great

That's why people get angry about compilers. Once retired, they get put into an echelon of player above their actual ability or impact. It's the main thing watering down the HOF quality.

Marleau is not a HOF player, but because he played forever he will have compiled HOF level career totals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->