Prospect Info: Will Borgen (2015, 92nd) – '17-18: Signed ELC, Reporting To Rochester

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
he's one of those guys I wrote opff and didn't really follow for a while and now this year I'm enamored.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Apparently Borgen's been back home training on the farm, because there is no fighting in NCAA hockey. Geez. Take that, Racki.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Dahlin Bergen was a thing in prospect camp. And it was great

His name should be "Bergen" because he's got no "O" (ha ha), BUT, this kid is a solid defenseman and he is a Hockey player with a capital H. And you're right, Dahlin and Borgen appeared to have instant chemistry, and it makes sense. He's a great skater and he played big, defensive minutes as a very young player at St. Cloud St.

It would be amazing if Dahlin-Borgen can be a legitimately functional NHL defensive pairing, with Borgen being the solid, simple, (but not bad!) defensive guy who can allow Dahlin to do his thing.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
I guess if it's ever needed. The widely positive response here is a bit disturbing so soon after KO's concussion.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I guess if it's ever needed. The widely positive response here is a bit disturbing so soon after KO's concussion.
With his history, KO should have never put himself in that position to begin with. Concussions are a downhill slope, once you've had one you're far more susceptible to them in the future.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
With his history, KO should have never put himself in that position to begin with. Concussions are a downhill slope, once you've had one you're far more susceptible to them in the future.
Yep. Would rather not have a young player start a history of concussions from fighting either. Getting hit/boarded isn't the only way to get a head injury.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Yep. Would rather not have a young player start a history of concussions from fighting either. Getting hit/boarded isn't the only way to get a head injury.
At the same time, team toughness in general is a very weak spot for the Sabres. Has been for a generation now, there's no snarl to their game and as such, other teams physically dominate us which shows up on the score sheet and in the standings.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
At the same time, team toughness in general is a very weak spot for the Sabres. Has been for a generation now, there's no snarl to their game and as such, other teams physically dominate us which shows up on the score sheet and in the standings.
That's been the running narrative for a while now, but I don't buy it. We have more obvious problems than not being tough. You can call at least half of the league soft and those teams would place up and down the standings.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That's been the running narrative for a while now, but I don't buy it. We have more obvious problems than not being tough. You can call at least half of the league soft and those teams would place up and down the standings.
I'm not trying to come across as rude or anything, but have you played hockey at any level? It matters if your goalie gets run and no one steps up to make sure it doesn't happen again. It matters when your star player takes a dirty hit and no one steps up to do something about it. Hockey is and has always been a highly physical and emotional game, and if teammates aren't looking out for each other then you have a culture problem, plain and simple. If guys are getting two or three extra jabs at your goalie because you're not clearing out the front of the net, people notice.

I remember when Drury took that ugly headshot from Chris Neil and was lying bleeding on the ice. Stafford (of all people) went right after Neil without hesitation. Lindy was fired up, the whole team was fired up, and there was an immediate response. Next faceoff, out went Kaleta, Mair and Peters to deal with it. It's a physical game, with a lot of unwritten rules about dealing with opposing players taking liberties with your guys. You either put a stop to it or you don't, and we currently don't.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I’m with you. I love Borgen, and his willingness to fight is not, by itself, appealing to me. But the kind of courage that it shows is generally something we need

Reactions: Tatre

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
I'm not trying to come across as rude or anything, but have you played hockey at any level? It matters if your goalie gets run and no one steps up to make sure it doesn't happen again. It matters when your star player takes a dirty hit and no one steps up to do something about it. Hockey is and has always been a highly physical and emotional game, and if teammates aren't looking out for each other then you have a culture problem, plain and simple. If guys are getting two or three extra jabs at your goalie because you're not clearing out the front of the net, people notice.

I remember when Drury took that ugly headshot from Chris Neil and was lying bleeding on the ice. Stafford (of all people) went right after Neil without hesitation. Lindy was fired up, the whole team was fired up, and there was an immediate response. Next faceoff, out went Kaleta, Mair and Peters to deal with it. It's a physical game, with a lot of unwritten rules about dealing with opposing players taking liberties with your guys. You either put a stop to it or you don't, and we currently don't.
You're not being rude, and I hate it when our guys get pushed around too. Physicality is fine and I agree they can be pretty lacking there. My point is that having a guy that'll beat up opponents isn't the top priority when the nhl is moving away from that.

And I have nothing against Borgen, he sounds like has enough to offer to be called up sometime anyway.

Reactions: Reddawg

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
There's not much correlation between team fighting and team success. All hail 2019's Ottawa Senators, overlords of the NHL.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
You're not being rude, and I hate it when our guys get pushed around too. Physicality is fine and I agree they can be pretty lacking there. My point is that having a guy that'll beat up opponents isn't the top priority when the nhl is moving away from that.

And I have nothing against Borgen, he sounds like has enough to offer to be called up sometime anyway.
Nobody said its priority, but our team clearly haa an issue getting pushed around and taken advantage of. Eichs got boarded no response, Skinner yanked down by yandle. How long until someone takes a run at Dahlin? We can wait 20 games and hope for Gaustad to respond? Lol f*** that. People who dont think we need more grit are out to lunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad