Prospect Info: Will Borgen (2015, 92nd) – '17-18: Signed ELC, Reporting To Rochester

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Did you even read my post? You are arguing about something I said in my post.

My post:

All those guys are not 2 years away from filling in. Borgen can fill in this year. Bryson next in line, and then Fitz. The other 2 can fill in the following year. There needs to be a track for these guys to see NHL time in their second years in AHL and hopefully full NHL duty by the time they are in their 3rd year of entry level deal.

You argumentative response:

Sure, in case of emergency for injury callup purposes he may be able to fill in for the odd game, but he's far from being ready for full-time duty.

So exactly what I said. Get him some games this year to be ready for year 3 full time duty. That should be the trek of every player IMO. By the 3rd year of entry level deal, you better know if that guy can play in the NHL.

You can't compare McNabb and Borgen. One went college route, the other went WHL. Brogen is going to be 24 years old this year. You can't be sitting on these players forever. College players should have different timelines.
There needs to be a track sure, but you create that by getting rid of the guys who are bad at their job, like Ristolainen and Bogosian.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What's with all the Borgen talk on this site?!?!?! Even the most defensive of NHL defensive defensemen would be putting big numbers in the AHL.

At 23 years old he put up 11 points in 61 games. Those are NOT NHL numbers. At that pace, he'd be lucky to stay on as a career AHL'er. There's so much groupthink on this site. :huh:

I think sometimes people love on aspect of a player's game (Borgen - Hitting) that they want that one niche in the lineup no matter what the rest of his game looks like. Sure he may be slow in processing the game but boy can the guy throw a body check. Now I like Borgen's game but he's a ways off from being an effective NHL player.

Reactions: JoeSchmoeJr

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
You serious?

When your goalie limits goals against, a team without any first line forwards or first pair defenders can almost win the Stanley Cup.
Come on man, didnt think i needed the :sarcasm:.

It makes me wonder how dumb my other posts on here are for you to think I might have been serious

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Botterill sucked and deserved to be fired.

But it wouldn’t surprise me if the Pegulas’ new “three E’s” approach led to this outcome. The difference between Pilut in Rochester on a one-way deal in ROC for 40 games and him there on a two-way deal can buy a lot of upgraded parlor finishes on a family yacht.
Maybe. But the flip side is the new "three E's" may lead to more depth roster players with ELCs or low 2nd contracts. Instead of keeping more expensive depth around. As an example that was referenced earlier, move out McCabe and have Pilut replace him.

We wont know until we see the "three E's" implemented for a couple years to see which way it goes.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
But he doesn't,let the offensive players play offense.He is a defensive defencemen,who cares about his point totals?

Exactly. I really think Krueger will love Borgen because he knows his game. He isn't like Colin Miller who should be a force as a defensive defenseman, but tries to do too much. Krueger also doesn't seem to like Montour which I think a lot of it is because he isn't sound defensively.

There is a reason why Jokiharju is so well liked. He plays very within himself, defensive focused first.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Exactly. I really think Krueger will love Borgen because he knows his game. He isn't like Colin Miller who should be a force as a defensive defenseman, but tries to do too much. Krueger also doesn't seem to like Montour which I think a lot of it is because he isn't sound defensively.

There is a reason why Jokiharju is so well liked. He plays very within himself, defensive focused first.
You have to have that type of defenceman on your team.Make the simple play take care of your own end and move the puck.Borgen and Samuelsson i think sre two guys who will mix well with Dahlin Joker etc

member 311261

But he doesn't,let the offensive players play offense.He is a defensive defencemen,who cares about his point totals?

An NHL ready defensive defensemen should have the skillset to put up points in the AHL.

The fact that he doesn't have the speed or processing power to put up even a modest number of goals or assists in the A clearly shows he would get worked over defensively in a big way in the NHL.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
An NHL ready defensive defensemen should have the skillset to put up points in the AHL.

The fact that he doesn't have the speed or processing power to put up even a modest number of goals or assists in the A clearly shows he would get worked over defensively in a big way in the NHL.
Actually an excellent skater and moves puck up quickly but doesn't jump into play..Points mean nothing from this type of player.. Playing against top lines and PK and toughness are his assets

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

He will get worked over defensively because he didn't out up points in the AHL? Doesn't make sense. He moves well.

member 311261

The argument that Borgen isn’t NHL ready because he isn’t putting up points in the AHL is definitely one of the stranger ones I’ve seen in a while...

Its the AHL! 11 points as a 23 year old!

His job is to help his team win. If he can't chip in more than 11 points over 61 games in the AHL, it means he's not good enough for the NHL. Surely, even having an average AHL outlet pass should be good enough for more 10 assists. Now throw NHL level forecheckers on the guy and see what happens.

I'll take a shutdown guy in the NHL that gets 11 points as a 23 year old, but the speed of the game is lightyears apart.

I get it that a lot of you like seeing a good hit here and there, but I really don't care either way. Just win.

But apparently the groupthink'ers on here wish it was still 1995 and we can bring back the Boogeyman.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

His job is to help his team win. If he can't chip in more than 11 points over 61 games in the AHL, it means he's not good enough for the NHL. Surely, even having an average AHL outlet pass should be good enough for more 10 assists. Now throw NHL level forecheckers on the guy and see what happens.

I'll take a shutdown guy in the NHL that gets 11 points as a 23 year old, but the speed of the game is lightyears apart.

I get it that a lot of you like seeing a good hit here and there, but I really don't care either way. Just win.

But apparently the groupthink'ers on here wish it was still 1995 and we can bring back the Boogeyman.

His job is to help his team win by preventing the other team from scoring goals....

I’m confused what part of that is confusing to you.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

Wow you are out to lunch on this.So if Borgen moves the puck to the forwards and they don't score that somehow means he can't play defence effectively? I just don't get your mindset but will agree to disagree

member 311261

His job is to help his team win by preventing the other team from scoring goals....

I’m confused what part of that is confusing to you.

It's the AHL! Any 2020 NHL player should have the skillset to chip in a few.

That below average outlet pass in the A is a turnover in the NHL.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

You equate his pass out of the zone with getting an assist. What if a majority of his passes would be a third assist?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad