Prospect Info: Will Borgen (2015, 92nd) – '17-18: Signed ELC, Reporting To Rochester

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
CIhO2-hUwAAsaP9.jpg

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/6/15/8783971/will-borgen-scouting-report-nhl-draft-profile

Borgen is an excellent skater for a player listed at 6'2" 190 lbs.

Borgen went from not even being listed on NHL Central Scouting's preliminary players to watch list to 114th on their final ranking, and receiving honourable mention on Bob McKenzie's top 75 NHL Draft rankings. So it has been a steady uphill climb for Borgen all season.

With that said, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Borgen selected in the third round of the Draft.

Borgen plays a strong all-around game, but as he progresses up the ladder in the hockey world, he'll likely become more of a defensive defenseman than an offensive one. His potential is as a second or third pairing defenseman that can provide a physical presence while still having the skating and puck-moving ability to not be a liability in those key areas.

But with Borgen's NHL stock rising so much and decreasing the likelihood of him being a four-year college hockey player, it looks like St. Cloud State will opt to bring Borgen in to play for them next season. The Huskies were thin on defense last year and have some big holes to fill so Borgen will likely have ample opportunity to earn a lot of ice time and play multiple roles for the Huskies. Borgen will likely need two to three seasons at St. Cloud State before he's ready to sign a pro contract.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
http://www.tsn.ca/will-borgen-defence-1.296727

PROJECTION: NO. 5-6 TWO-WAY DEFENCEMAN
He's a well-rounded player who can contribute in all areas from his position but will not necessarily excel in any one aspect. He plays at a good pace, has confidence with the puck, tries to make plays, jumps into the attack and attentive to defence. He has a lot of raw attributes but potential is good.

NHL COMPARABLE: TOM GILBERT, MONTREAL CANADIENS

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
"Borgen!?!?! You mean they didn't take the guy in the 4th round that has 1st pairing potential that only I know has 1st pairing potential!?!?!?! What is Murray thinking!?!?!?"

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/will-borgen/22876/

Super sleeper defensive prospect currently six two and growing. Displays strong reads and sense what is unfolding and reacts. At this point has very little offensive game, but that may come since he has excellent vision. Decisively responds to attacks with strong wall work, jam, and break-ups that he quickly turns in transition offensive chances. Loves to take the body on attackers and is very aggressive at middle zone pass break-ups and has a very high panic threshold and keeps himself in motion to stay in play. Makes things look easy by skating to the right places and executing. How offensive side is what identifies him as long term developmental project. Comes from large framed family. He has committed to St. Cloud State.
—Bill Placzek

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Sounds like a safe pick for the position in the draft. The guy has NHL ability but nothing special. You need guys like this in your system. He's going to college so for the next two-three years he can quietly develop.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sounds like a safe pick for the position in the draft. The guy has NHL ability but nothing special. You need guys like this in your system. He's going to college so for the next two-three years he can quietly develop.

I'm curious if he goes to the Lancers first as Omaha was supposed to be his pre-SCSU destination or if he jumps to SCSU right away. Regardless, this guy is due some serious slow-cooking and years and years away.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
4th round picks are total gambles with low probability of playing in the NHL. Tuck him away in the oven for a few years and then we can come back to see if the cake ever rose.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I'm curious if he goes to the Lancers first as Omaha was supposed to be his pre-SCSU destination or if he jumps to SCSU right away. Regardless, this guy is due some serious slow-cooking and years and years away.

SCS is suppose to be light on defensive help. Would make sense to bring him in a plug him into that 5/6 role. Protect his minutes and see how he comes along and adapts to the NCAA. Appears to have the size to handle the physical game.

Regardless, I like the pick. We need more rearguards in the system.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Spuds captain Borgen shows unshakable side after horrific spring injury:
Moorhead senior defenseman and captain Will Borgen has a pretty good reason as to why he doesn’t feel any ill will toward the sport that nearly killed him.

“I like hockey a lot,” Borgen said. “A skate to the neck? I can still play. It’s not that bad.”

Playing hockey in the spring in a U.S. tournament, Borgen went down to his knees after checking someone and felt a skater breeze by him in a pileup. He went back to the bench and told his coach – current Bemidji coach Wade Chiodo – he may have been cut.

According to Borgen, that was about the time Chiodo “freaked out.”
In his three seasons on varsity, Borgen has amassed 72 points on 18 goals and 54 assists in 83 games. He helped the Spuds win a section title as a sophomore.

“He’s a kid we not only rely on defensively, but offensively,” Ammerman said. “He’s a guy that makes a difference every time he’s on the ice. He’s also a leader in what he does, what he says and how he holds himself.”

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Will Borgen (@wborgen19) - 92th Pick - 2015 NHL Draft.

Hes committed to St. Cloud State University - @SCSUHUSKIES_MH

We have two reasons to follow St. Cloud State this coming season - he joins Judd Peterson as a member of the Sabres/Huskies family.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Kind of surprised we didn't grab Callum Booth here after pre-draft reports we liked him, but a 4th round pick is no big deal and Borgen seems like a fine selection.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
This kid is awesome. Just exploded onto the radar in Minnesota this year, plays on an island in some ways up in Moorhead. If he was on Eden Prairie or Edina everyone would be in love with him. In the elite league it's the same thing because he plays with all the northern kids and they usually aren't as good as the other teams. This year he was enough of an impact to balance out the games against the stacked city kids. Doesn't play a crazy offensive game, very athletic and subtle skating ability, really grows on you. Good passer who could develop an offensive game but has the raw tools to have an NHL floor if he works at it regardless of what kind of player he wants to be. Also a very established soccer player in the region. I think Omaha was supposed to be the plan next year but not sure what will happen, he does have a great upside though, and has an awesome compete level. can be very tough to play against.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
The following article confirms that Borgen will play for SCSU, not Omaha, in 2015-16 .. Moorhead's Borgen drafted by Buffalo in the NHL draft:
Borgen was a defenseman for the Spuds. He notched 28 points on 22 assists and six goals in 27 games in his senior season before heading to the Omaha Lancers of the United States Hockey League. In 84 career games with the Spuds, Borgen had 72 points on 54 assists and 18 goals.

In the USHL, Borgen had eight points on seven assists and one goal in 18 games with Omaha. Borgen will not play another year in the USHL and will head to St. Cloud for his freshman season next year.

“In the last year, he’s really kind of blossomed into a player that continues to get better and I think teams really like that,†Moorhead coach Jon Ammerman said. “He’s still a very raw, athletic hockey player. He has a few things that are tough to teach like his size and athleticism. He skates extremely well for a big guy and he has a competitive edge that’s tough to teach.â€
Borgen was on a couch with his mom Saturday watching the NHL Network, waiting to hear his name when his phone rang. He got the call that the Sabres were going to pick him with the first pick in the fourth round.

“Once the phone rings and you get your call, it’s pretty exciting. It releases all the anxiety,†Borgen said. “I called my dad and told my siblings. They were definitely excited and proud of me.€

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Here is Borgen's USHL game log and his blurb from Omaha's press release:
With their 92nd pick in the fourth round, the Buffalo Sabres called on Will Borgen.

“It's such an honor to be drafted by Buffalo. It’s such a dream come true waiting for your name to be called,†said Borgen. “It was a great year of hockey. Going to Omaha definitely helped me along the way playing with a top-notch organization and having support from all the Lancers fans.â€

The defenseman appeared in 21 games for the Lancers and scored his first career USHL goal in a critical game late in the season against Cedar Rapids on April 3rd. His career high in points came against Lincoln as he recorded two assists in a 6-1 victory over the Stars.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Borgen finished the junior hockey regular season and played in the playoffs with the Omaha Lancers in the United States Hockey League. Borgen, 18, will join the St. Cloud State men's hockey team this fall.

He has been in St. Cloud the last two weeks, getting registered for classes, working out and skating with the Huskies' other incoming freshmen and some veterans.

"It's good to see how the other guys play and and see more of what college hockey is all about," Borgen said.

Borgen knows his roommate for the school year will be Jimmy Schuldt, another freshman defenseman for the Huskies. Schuldt, from Minnetonka, spent the past two seasons with the Lancers and was Borgen's defensive partner in Omaha.

"He's a really good player and probably going to be drafted and I'm excited for that for him," said Schuldt, who was Omaha's captain. "He's, obviously, a really skilled player. He's tall (6-foot-2) and still growing into himself (180 pounds).

"He's got a good shot, really good hands and can make plays with the puck," said Schuldt, who finished sixth in scoring among USHL defensemen. "He's got long legs and a really good skating stride and moves well. He's got a lot of upside."
"I like to skate and I think I'm a good skater and can move the puck up to the forwards and let them do the work and just play defense," Borgen said. "In high school, you kind of play all over.

"But playing with better players, you can just pass the puck and focus on your game and play with more structure."
Above are two excerpts from a pre-draft article .. Borgen is SCSU's top NHL Draft prospect .. which notes that Borgen was in St. Cloud earlier this month prepping for class/season .. probably helps the transition that he has familiarity with Schuldt on- and off-ice already, especially if they're paired again at SCSU.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->