Pre-Game Talk: Wild @ Habs | Line Blender Extravaganza | Thurs., Oct. 17th, 7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Habs defense do "cough" up the puck a lot so makes some sense. :sarcasm:

SolidTotalArgusfish-max-1mb.gif

The only reason you beat me to this is that I couldn't find a gif with the actual word included and was too lazy to insert it myself. You won the internets. :laugh:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I tell you what... I'm more of tank leader than a middle of the pack team for several seasons. If you look at our team, now is the time to double down on the youth reinforcement core where we increase our probability of a strong core in a 10 year age gap growing together.

We got lucky that Caufield slipped to us at 15. 1 or 2 more top 5 picks is how we are going to get out of this middle ground where we have difficulty addressing our holes with trades and UFA's
The thing is, the upcoming draft is in Montreal, and the #1 pick might be the local saviour we've all be waiting for. St-Alexis-de-Lafrenière.

I can't think of a better time to go for it. Either tank or trade with probable teams, like Sam Pollock would do. But then again, BB's "Anything can happen" motto has doomed us to perennial mediocrity.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The thing is, the upcoming draft is in Montreal, and the #1 pick might be the local saviour we've all be waiting for. St-Alexis-de-Lafrenière.

I can't think of a better time to go for it. Either tank or trade with probable teams, like Sam Pollock would do. But then again, BB's "Anything can happen" motto has doomed us to perennial mediocrity.

If he really wanted to go for Lafrenière, he'd have to add at least one more first round pick from, as you suggested, a team who is likely to flounder.

Also, this team would have to rid itself of several assets in the process.

Then, with possibly holding 3 first round picks, parlay all of them in a pitch to whoever has won the lottery. It's a grand illusion type gamble but if it fails, you still end up with amazing talent in a good draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed but it's easier said than done. Winning a draft lottery takes a bit of luck and management needs to be willing to get a hair cut... Sell on Weber, Tatar, and Byron and rest players where ever we can. If anybody has any nagging injuries, put them on IR

Reactions: peate and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is this who Bergevin is burning the phones for?

CH: un défenseur finlandais dans la mire?

Another bin-like player?

Forecaster:

Defends very well, thanks to an active stick, sound positioning and the ability to deliver big hits. Also moves the puck efficiently, is mobile and can even join the rush. Is not a natural offensive defenseman, so he is not the best option to quarterback a power play (at any level). Must add more bulk and strength to maximize output.

He's a PMD at least but if he can't crack the Pens roster, how much upside does he really have?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
If he really wanted to go for Lafrenière, he'd have to add at least one more first round pick from, as you suggested, a team who is likely to flounder.

Also, this team would have to rid itself of several assets in the process.

Then, with possibly holding 3 first round picks, parlay all of them in a pitch to whoever has won the lottery. It's a grand illusion type gamble but if it fails, you still end up with amazing talent in a good draft.
I bet we could run this hockey team. I've been reading this board since early 2000's and the best ideas usually come from here. The Habs Usenet group was also good before HFBoards even existed.

Thenn you listen to guys like Gaston and Benoit, supposedly experts and shake your head in bewilderment.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he wasn't canned after that disastrous 2017-18 season, he never will.

I think for two reasons...

1) Molson is scared to go down the interview process again cause he is not qualified. Who does he hire this time to do the interviewing? Savard is now 73
2) Money. Too much money to write off.

However, one of the two is not approaching a point where it's no longer a huge issue (money). Molson has saved a lot of money in the last few seasons and Bergevin has two years in term left and approaching lame duck status here soon. And I think we have a guy (Timmins) who Molson knows and can trust to work with.

If the Habs have a set back year where we fall in the standings, I do think Bergevin is fired. If Molson doesn't fire Bergevin, he needs to realize that our fan base will revolt and this is bad for business. We all know Molson is a business guy too

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I bet we could run this hockey team. I've been reading this board since early 2000's and the best ideas usually come from here. The Habs Usenet group was also good before HFBoards even existed.

Thenn you listen to guys like Gaston and Benoit, supposedly experts and shake your head in bewilderment.

I also think there are some smart hockey guys on our boards as well!

Reactions: Runner77

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Agreed but it's easier said than done. Winning a draft lottery takes a bit of luck and management needs to be willing to get a hair cut... Sell on Weber, Tatar, and Byron and rest players where ever we can. If anybody has any nagging injuries, put them on IR
No big losses for potentially tremendous gain. I see no problem there.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Hell 1909% right.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't buy that argument

If it was only bergy and molson in a vaccum, but the dynamics are a bit more complicated than that.

The Molson group has consistently shown that they will exercise excruciating patience before making a significant move re their GM. I don’t see them changing their stance any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad