Confirmed with Link: Wild buying out Parise and Suter

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
Yeah i don’t get it. He’s shown talent at every level but they keep screwing him around because they got pissed he went to Russia. People overblow the size deal, this team has needed more offense since inauguration. Don’t deny us this Guerin.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Does he, though? If Seattle takes Soucy we'll need both of them on the team. (barring trades and UFAs)

Brodin - Spurgeon
Menell - Dumba
Cole (or another UFA) - Addison

Menell would be on his off-hand, but I'm not sure who else we have that is even close to NHL ready. Our LDs in the system are O'Rourke, Daemon Hunt, Fedor Gordeev and Marshall Warren. I think I'd prefer Menell or Addison on their off-hand. This is kinda why I was against losing two defensemen this off-season.
I agree but there are plenty of UFA LD's that will play for around 1 million

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
1. He just paid Brad Hunt $1.4M over 2 years to take up a roster spot he had no business holding.
2. If that's the case, then why even negotiate a contract with the kid?
If they don't think he's a NHL player then that's fine. Move on and wish the kid well. My only beef with the situation is why would they be hung up on an AHL salary that they're not going to pay anyway? Menell might not ever amount to anything in the NHL but there will be a handful of teams that would be more than willing to snatch him off of waivers and give him a month+ to see if he can help them.
Fenton paid Brad Hunt

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What's the plan if they dump Menell and Addison struggles in the NHL?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I agree but there are plenty of UFA LD's that will play for around 1 million
It's not that I don't think they can find two cheap LDs in free agency, it's that I don't think they can find two competent cheap LDs in free agency. There are definitely some names available, but most of the names are old names, or are expensive names. I like Jake McCabe for the sheer value of knowing he isn't about to drop off a cliff and his likely cheap price tag. I'm a little pessimistic about our defense next season, but I hope you're right!

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
The cap hit is so severe, I think they’d be better off staying as is. The Wild messed things up in the last expansion draft and now they got all this dead cap just to keep Dumba, who has been mediocre the last 2 years? I think you’re better off keeping these 2 guys. They’re both solid character guys. Real professionals. They’ll be productive in some capacity. A lot of guys have suddenly ditched on Parise but not me. You watch, he’ll bounce back next team. Im not counting anyone out for having a tough season during all this pandemic krap.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The cap hit is so severe, I think they’d be better off staying as is. The Wild messed things up in the last expansion draft and now they got all this dead cap just to keep Dumba, who has been mediocre the last 2 years? I think you’re better off keeping these 2 guys. They’re both solid character guys. Real professionals. They’ll be productive in some capacity. A lot of guys have suddenly ditched on Parise but not me. You watch, he’ll bounce back next team. Im not counting anyone out for having a tough season during all this pandemic krap.
They idea that this was done in response to the expansion draft was refuted within a few hours of the buyouts happening. Guerin wanted these two off the team, full stop.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I personally think the Suter buyout is the worst move a Wild GM has ever made. Maybe in hindsight it will look like a great move, but I don’t see it. Regardless of the culture in the locker room, he’s just one player. The entire dynamic of the locker room has already changed, Suter was a contributing member of this defense and I believe would have contributed throughout the entirety of his contract. We do not have the LD depth where buying him out was a reasonable choice.

Still early with Guerin as GM but I’m getting the sense this guy likes to make moves for the sake of making a move.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
What on earth is Guerin thinking about? 20% dead cap space going forward. Just ridiculous...

And it's written all over this move, Zuccarello should prepare for a trade next summer.
Wild will be in desperate need of cap space.

I agree. I’m not liking Guerin at all. The way he operates, he’ll be gone soon too.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Still early with Guerin as GM but I’m getting the sense this guy likes to make moves for the sake of making a move.

I just don’t get the Suter move and the positioning after the move. It would be one thing if Guerin wanted to get Suter off the team and was saying we need to give our young guys a shot like Mennell and Addison, but at least through Russo he appears to be actively working to estrange Mennell from the team over pennies or small concessions and playing an ego game.

There doesn’t appear to be a consistent plan. Maybe we will look back and we will see one. But publicly Guerin’s moves appear to be driven by emotional ego battling or culture moves rather than based off of talent or ability. Maybe that is what previous Wild teams got wrong… we’ll see

Reactions: Bluesguru

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I just don’t get the Suter move and the positioning after the move. It would be one thing if Guerin wanted to get Suter off the team and was saying we need to give our young guys a shot like Mennell and Addison, but at least through Russo he appears to be actively working to estrange Mennell from the team over pennies or small concessions and playing an ego game.

There doesn’t appear to be a consistent plan. Maybe we will look back and we will see one. But publicly Guerin’s moves appear to be driven by emotional ego battling or culture moves rather than based off of talent or ability. Maybe that is what previous Wild teams got wrong… we’ll see
I'm really curious as to how much of that is coming from actual sources and how much is Russo amplifying things himself. I don't know what it is about the KHL, but as soon as it enters the picture he seems to lose whatever critical thinking ability he normally has.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I'm really curious as to how much of that is coming from actual sources and how much is Russo amplifying things himself. I don't know what it is about the KHL, but as soon as it enters the picture he seems to lose whatever critical thinking ability he normally has.

I’m not sure. What we do know is that Guerin could have squashed any noise about that topic, but has chosen not to do so. Maybe he just feels like he doesn’t or shouldn’t have to comment on rumors and speculation or maybe there’s some truth to it

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

My own speculation has it more geared towards what the articles (and podcasts) have pretty much summed up. Geurin and Dean were in agreement that Suter's minutes were going to be severely limited, almost to the point where it was going to be a slap in the face to the guy. As fans, we also need to face it too, Suter isn't the player he was 9 years ago (nor should there be expectation that he would be). He can't play 24 minutes a game, and he certainly does not deserve to be on the PP for "easy minutes" either. The team has too many solid players on the roster who can do what he was doing on the PP, only bringing much more to the line than what he was doing by his precognition to know where the puck was going to go if it was starting to leave the blue line. Frankly, I think Guerin saw the writing on the wall, and with preemptive decisions decided it was better to cut ties and let him sign somewhere else for 2-3 years in a diminished role where he could still be a contributor to that team and not be extremely negative as he most likely would have been here.

Reactions: WildisLaw

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
A couple of IMO facts....
*Suter is still an effective D. (My opinion is based on multiple reports that up to 20 teams have reached out to his agent.)
*With at least the possibility that Soucy will be chosen by Seattle, the decision by Guerin to move Suter leaves a huge hole on the left side.
So, to summarize, the Wild need a player of Suter's ability and a fair share of the league sees him as a quality defensemen.

IMO, that leads to at least to one logical conclusion. It was NOT Suter's on ice performance which dictated the decision.
Now, I don't know much, but I do know that there is NO ONE on this forum who has more than a partial clue as to what the relationship is like between Suter and management, Suter and the coaching staff and Suter and his teammates. Again, IMO....the dots do not connect to a rosy off ice picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigT2002

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
A couple of IMO facts....
*Suter is still an effective D. (My opinion is based on multiple reports that up to 20 teams have reached out to his agent.)
*With at least the possibility that Soucy will be chosen by Seattle, the decision by Guerin to move Suter leaves a huge hole on the left side.
So, to summarize, the Wild need a player of Suter's ability and a fair share of the league sees him as a quality defensemen.

IMO, that leads to at least to one logical conclusion. It was NOT Suter's on ice performance which dictated the decision.
Now, I don't know much, but I do know that there is NO ONE on this forum who has more than a partial clue as to what the relationship is like between Suter and management, Suter and the coaching staff and Suter and his teammates. Again, IMO....the dots do not connect to a rosy off ice picture.
This is exactly how I see it as well. It's also why I don't really have an opinion on the move. Guerin does deserve credit for making a move that he felt was necessary knowing that it wouldn't be a popular decision. He also has to know that there's a good chance this move gets him fired.

This move also makes me question the "Guerin knows what it takes to win " narrative. That one's running out of runway real quick

Reactions: BigT2002
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad