Confirmed with Link: Wild buying out Parise and Suter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The Hanzal trade absolutely, the Tuch trade absolutely, the Simon trade absolutely. The Simon trade was atrocious. This team needed a boost, and who do they get? CHRIS SIMON.

There is a major benefit for this team in years 3/4, because Suter probably would have been in the press box or retired.

Losing Soucy, but signing a guy like McCabe might actually be a benefit for the Wild. This defense has been together for 7-8 years now and they haven't delivered in the playoffs. It was definitely time for a shakeup.

Most people were pretty happy to get out of the ED not losing a significant piece of our roster IIRC.

Suter being in the press box or retiring in years 3/4 are cheaper than the effects of his buyout.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just listened to the NRD podcast and he said he’s pretty linked to what’s going on in Minnesota behind the scenes. Bazeek posted it earlier, but he’s saying it’s going to be Rossi + Boldy + if it happens and I wouldn’t touch that
There is no way that Rossi + Boldy + are going to Buffalo for Eichel, just like there is no way that Suter will be bought out before the ED.:sarcasm:

Seriously, it just doesn't make any sense for us, even if BUF is taking our only tradable bad contract left, which isn't all that bad, Rask. Cap space matters.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Most people were pretty happy to get out of the ED not losing a significant piece of our roster IIRC.

Not everyone, most saw it was a bad deal in a ton of bad deals that Fletcher made.

Suter being in the press box or retiring in years 3/4 are cheaper than the effects of his buyout.

Cheaper, but is it better? I mean was it better that Parise sat in the press box this year?

Also, this gives Guerin a lot more options to pre-plan the next few years.

Guerin's biggest mistake was signing Spurgeon to that idiotic extension, but that's water under the bridge and he's making corrections to fix it.

I can tell that some of you guys aren't in management or in any sort of supervisory role.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I still have a hard time seeing actually who is reducing Suter's minutes the next couple years, especially since our defense would've taken a hit, one way or another, in expansion.
Soucy. Guerin will go 4 + 4.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He's committed to the team and building both the best culture and the best team that they can ice. He may have seen Menell going to the KHL as a slight as they may have needed Menell when the AHL season started up as the veteran and leader of that team.

This culture argument is a weak one until there’s actually proven success with this group. Suter’s buyout definitely doesn’t make the team better. Holding out on Menell for a 2-way contract doesn’t make the team better. We don’t even need the cap right now, so there’s absolutely no reason he can’t be given a 1-way deal.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
A 2-way contract to Menell isn’t fair. BG feels like he’s making emotional decisions rather than intelligent ones. I’m starting to get the impression that he’s not that smart of a guy.
How do you feel it's an emotional decision?

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
The Hanzal trade absolutely, the Tuch trade absolutely, the Simon trade absolutely. The Simon trade was atrocious. This team needed a boost, and who do they get? CHRIS SIMON.

There is a major benefit for this team in years 3/4, because Suter probably would have been in the press box or retired.

Losing Soucy, but signing a guy like McCabe might actually be a benefit for the Wild. This defense has been together for 7-8 years now and they haven't delivered in the playoffs. It was definitely time for a shakeup.

Losing Soucy and Suter for torn ACL Jake McCabe will benefit the Wild is not something I had on my lifetime bingo card. Suter would have been fine for another few years, and every predictive model I have seen agrees. The Tuch deal was the right decision at the time, nobody disagreed and sure, he is a piece that could be helping us but so is the 26 YO top pairing defender. Being mad at the Tuch deal is like folding a 7-2 off-suit in Texas Hold Em' and then being mad you would have flopped a boat. Still doesn't mean you made the wrong decision.

Reactions: TaLoN and 2Pair

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This culture argument is a weak one until there’s actually proven success with this group.

This was a team that had no business going into the playoffs - they had Rask, Bonino, Bjugstad, Johansson and Eriksson-Ek as their centers. Kaprizov was a complete unknown. They moved Staal and Koivu out, benched Parise. And look at that; not only did they make it to the playoffs, but they took Vegas to 7 games AND had a pretty comfortable lead on the West. Not to mention, they were the 9th best team in the league. I'd call that pretty successful, and they will continue to build on that success.

Suter’s buyout definitely doesn’t make the team better. Holding out on Menell for a 2-way contract doesn’t make the team better. We don’t even need the cap right now, so there’s absolutely no reason he can’t be given a 1-way deal.

Just like Staal's trade definitely doesn't make this team better or Koivu leaving definitely doesn't make this team better?

They absolutely need cap right now, and next year as well.

Losing Soucy and Suter for torn ACL Jake McCabe will benefit the Wild is not something I had on my lifetime bingo card. Suter would have been fine for another few years, and every predictive model I have seen agrees.

It might not be McCabe, it might be another veteran.

All the models are based off on ice production; Guerin has a vision for this team and I like the direction he is headed. He cleaned up the locker room and has made sure this is a team, not a group of individuals or cliques running around.

Everyone seems stuck on the idea that this might be a horrible decision, because OMG! ICE PRODUCTION.

Yeah, we lost Staal and it doesn't seem like they had any issues making the playoffs this year.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Not everyone, most saw it was a bad deal in a ton of bad deals that Fletcher made.

Cheaper, but is it better? I mean was it better that Parise sat in the press box this year?

Also, this gives Guerin a lot more options to pre-plan the next few years.

Guerin's biggest mistake was signing Spurgeon to that idiotic extension, but that's water under the bridge and he's making corrections to fix it.

I can tell that some of you guys aren't in management or in any sort of supervisory role.

It is infinitely better to retain a player that we don’t have a replacement for, especially when you’re going to be incurring the cap of the player regardless if he’s playing or not.

I’ve never known of any management that would prefer to continue to pay somebody their full “salary” to not work for them, especially during a time where the budget is strained.

Buy him out in years 3 or 4 if you really need to get him off the roster. This move makes no sense with the current build of our defense.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
It's what other people are throwing out when referring to "reduced minutes". I don't think Suter going from 22 to 20.5 is deal big enough to trigger a buyout.
using Guerin's words "significant reduction in ice-time" would lead me to believe his minutes would drop into the 15-18m range as a best case scenario in my opnion. Being pulled off the PP would be one way to decrease those minutes and how do you think Suter would handle that happening to him?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
This was a team that had no business going into the playoffs - they had Rask, Bonino, Bjugstad, Johansson and Eriksson-Ek as their centers. Kaprizov was a complete unknown. They moved Staal and Koivu out, benched Parise. And look at that; not only did they make it to the playoffs, but they took Vegas to 7 games AND had a pretty comfortable lead on the West. Not to mention, they were the 9th best team in the league. I'd call that pretty successful, and they will continue to build on that success.

Just like Staal's trade definitely doesn't make this team better or Koivu leaving definitely doesn't make this team better?

They absolutely need cap right now, and next year as well.

It might not be McCabe, it might be another veteran.

All the models are based off on ice production; Guerin has a vision for this team and I like the direction he is headed. He cleaned up the locker room and has made sure this is a team, not a group of individuals or cliques running around.

Everyone seems stuck on the idea that this might be a horrible decision, because OMG! ICE PRODUCTION.

Yeah, we lost Staal and it doesn't seem like they had any issues making the playoffs this year.

We made the playoffs playing in the weakest division you could possibly assemble. I’ll love to see how this team fares over the next 4 years when they now will have an internal cap of $67M.

The Staal trade was idiotic too. MoJo was a hell of a lot worse than what Staal could have been for us. At least we’d have had somebody that could take PP draws.

Reactions: Jesus comma Brodin

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Because it makes absolutely no logical sense to not offer him a 1-way contract when he just blew a hole in our defense. We need cheap defensemen with potential.
We need cheap Dmen with Actual, too.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Outsider coming in peace. I find every facet of this double buyout absolutely fascinating. Reading the quotes coming out of the Guerin press conference it seems like it wasn't really a hockey decision or even a business decision, but a locker room/culture decision. Like, he could have traded Suter @50% to half the league, if Suter allowed it. But for some people a NMC is actually a NMC, not just a "don't trade me to Canada" clause.

If I were a Minnesota fan I think I'd be excited about starting a new era of the team, about ending a decade of "Minnesota Mild" hockey. But I think it's going to be a rough road. Guerin has laid his cards on the table and this team simply wont be able to compete in 2022-2024. They will probably look like New Jersey does today: all-youth and tons of ELCs to fill the lineup.

I also think this can go one of two ways:

1. They sign Kaspirov to an 8 year deal, and tell him that years 2-4 of his contract will be spent out of the playoff picture, retooling the team to make it a contender. Alternatively, he could sign a 4 year bridge deal to get him to UFA and then the wild can give him all the money in the wants.

2. Kaspirov goes to the KHL, Minnesota commits to a 4 year rebuild.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Has anyone posted the Souhan article?

Souhan: Wild wanted both Zach Parise and Ryan Suter gone

Not saying I agree with this, but he went full locker room culture is the issue.
I believe it was previously linked.
This part specifically stood out to me. Seems like a couple of primadonnas. If true, I can see how/why Guerin would want to ditch their contracts.

In their first few years with the Wild, Parise was known for asking for the team to practice in Minneapolis, closer to his home, which drove the coaching staff crazy, and Suter was known for lobbying Leipold, a move that would backfire in any company.

Reactions: grimmel95
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad