Post-Game Talk: Wild beat Hawks in shootout!

NHLPodium

Dec 5, 2012
Still driving me nuts that they've got shooters now, yet 80% of the team still has that passing mentality. The power play just frustrates the hell out of me right now. They're stuck out on the perimeter for the entire thing and NO one will head to the net. That and the guys on point never seem to be ready to take those big booming shots when they're served up.

Don't know if it's just me, but one of the things that has impressed me most about this years team is the passing and transition game. The passing on this team so far has really stood out to me.

:sarcasm:

OpRedDawn*

Yeah heater might get complacent and only give real effort on the pp. although that was far from the case last year

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Meh before the past couple games I thought Stoner was our best defenseman. He's a very good 4-6 range guy.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Three games in four days for the guys, and it showed. But, they still kept plugging away, and pulled out a win. There's no shame here despite some of the mistakes.

I was the most impressed with the fact that we actually brought it to Chicago a number of times. Our team has had really no time to gel, and if they can do that at all 6 games in, it's exciting to consider what they could possible do after 30.

We've never been able to take it to top teams before. It's always been like hanging in their as long as possible and praying. I think these guys actually might be able to compete.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Put me in as another who prefers post-game threads rather than the live blogging. If we all like it (or most of us...or just the mods), we can do this even when we don't just max out the GDT.

I like being able to summarize my thoughts in a longer post rather than split them out. I often watch games and then come here between periods or after the game to talk about it. Don't necessarily want to read 800 posts of what happened on TV and then talk about the game.

Anyone else in?

Also, I like when other folks post their long-winded thoughts/observations about the game. Either assures me of what I'm seeing or challenges me to re-think my position on something.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Anyone else catch the scoring opportunity Bouchard passed up on during the 5-3?? He had the puck on his stick with a clear path to the net and doesn't take the shot, instead he drop passes to Suter.

SHOOT THE FREAKIN' PUCK!!!!!

We even preach to our youth players that in a 2-0 situation, the lead puck carrier should NEVER drop the puck. Take the shot and let the 2nd guy crash the net in case of a rebound.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Put me in as another who prefers post-game threads rather than the live blogging. If we all like it (or most of us...or just the mods), we can do this even when we don't just max out the GDT.

I like being able to summarize my thoughts in a longer post rather than split them out. I often watch games and then come here between periods or after the game to talk about it. Don't necessarily want to read 800 posts of what happened on TV and then talk about the game.

Anyone else in?

Also, I like when other folks post their long-winded thoughts/observations about the game. Either assures me of what I'm seeing or challenges me to re-think my position on something.

I'd say if we are anywhere close to maxing(like 800+ posts at the end of the game) out the thread, then make a PGDT. But if we are only at like 500-600 posts at the end of the game, just discuss the stuff in there.

:dunno: just my thoughts.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Two more random things I remembered:

Cullen had a DIRTY goal in the shootout.

Granlund had a TERRIBLE giveaway, literally passing it to the Hawks in the second.

While we're at it, anyone want to state the obvious...again how slow Heatley is? I mean, it really is important that that gets tossed out at least once a thread isn't it?

D pairings are looking decent. Never thought I'd say this but really watching Brodin is incredible. Can't wait to see what he looks like when he gets truly comfortable. And whoever made the comment earlier about him being surprisingly physical was right on. I mean, he isn't a beast tossing dudes around, but he sure doesn't shy away from it. Be nice to see Granlund take a hint from him.

Don't know if it's just me, but one of the things that has impressed me most about this years team is the passing and transition game. The passing on this team so far has really stood out to me. Still not fully to where they could / should be on the transition but they're a lot more smooth and fast on this than they used to be. They're starting to catch a few teams off guard on the rush (seems to be mostly Parise & Butch) and it's leading to some decent chances. Be nice to see a few more guys actually get in behind the opposing teams D. You can definitely see they're trending towards the type of team Yeo wants them to be. It's coming together. Just incredibly slow.

Good post.

I don't mind Heatley being slow on that line because Parise tends to lead the forecheck, Koivu F2, and Heatley is the trailer. You probably won't see many 2-on-1's with Heatley out there, but that's fine. Still, I hoped his speed would hold up, and his game is still declining.

I had a moment watching the Wild on the PK in the third where I was like, "who the hell is playing out there and moving the guy from the crease?" Brodin. My girlfriend's probably sick of hearing about him. Tried to explain that it's like getting an 18-19 year old top of the rotation pitcher in MLB. Just doesn't happen.

Good point on the transition game. It's so different. Remember when the defensemen used to just hail mary everything and hope the Wild would tip the puck and retrieve it? Used to watch games with a friend and we'd count the number of consecutive passes by teams. Detroit was the worst. It'd be "1...2...3..4...5.....6..7..8....." and the Wild was "1.........1..........1.........."

-Parise is finding his way into my heart. I've never liked him that much, but he is getting there. So much hustle. Made one move I don't think I've ever seen from a Wild player. Put the puck around the defender and then went around the other side, but it was the way he did it.

-Brodziak. I'm a little upset about his play. Hes had this disappearing act out there. Hes had better players on the third line and I thought he'd step-up this year, but he has been rather invisible. Even his physical game is kind of disappearing.

-Clutterbuck is seeing improvements in his playmaking abilities. Mostly in breaking out of the zone. He had a few nice passes to Bouchard to break it out that I liked. Great 3rd liner.

Again, love these summaries.

I knew little about Parise before we signed him...Eastern Conference and he doesn't make many highlight reel plays. But I love everything about his game. On the forecheck, with the puck, around the net, he's making offensive plays which I didn't expect, in the defensive zone, blocking shots, carrying the puck through the neutral zone...he literally does it all.

Also a little disappointed in Brodz. He looks like he's rushed and his hands just aren't there. I saw him cycling and working with Butch in scrimmage and looked great, but he touches the puck and it just bounces off the stick. Get him a wood blade.

Clutter has been nice on the breakout. A couple times I've said "hey, that defensemen looks pretty good back there" and it's 22.

OT continues... And Lemmy doesn't need to get better at playing (nor anything else for that matter). He's god.

That was random.

rafterman

Dec 1, 2010
Flyover country
llamapalooza said:
On the plus side, if he gets sent down to Houston, he'll probably only be down there for a few days before he comes back up to take his rightful place.

This line didn't get the appreciation it should have towards the end of the GDT. Nicely played, llama. Nicely played. :handclap:

Piffles

Jul 4, 2012
It was bad though. I don't know who it was, but somebody dropped a stick right towards the end of regulation. I immediately thought, "Okay, where's Granlund?!" But he was on the bench.

I believe that one was Setoguchi, and I was thinking the same thing.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
It was nice to see the Wild hand Chicago their first loss. Could have won that one in regulation if Harding hadn't let in that second goal or if Heater hadn't whiffed his open net chance. Granlund is still struggling. He turns the puck over too much. Brodin looks great. Great positioning, great stick work. And I loved Cluitterbuck's goal celebration. There wasn't much to it, yet it still just looked cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad