Post-Game Talk: Wild beat Hawks in shootout!

Piffles

Jul 4, 2012
Yes, yes it is.

You didn't need to shut me down that hard. :laugh:

He's not used to the sheer amount of battles along the boards. Didn't happen in Finland, and didn't happen in the AHL...the only place he can adjust his game for it is on the ice in the NHL.

Good point that I did not consider. He's made some good plays, and overall I've been happy with his play.

Mumbler*

It's still crazy to me how much better the D is playing right now. Maybe that Suter guy isn't the next Redden.

nah, he sucks. Spurge is the only thing that was keeping it together prior...

I joke... He's just fine for his mini mouse size. Just not the #2... put him at 5 with PP time and he will be the "underated" D man of the wild. But that's where he belongs.

pbunder

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota
Game Thoughts:

- Like everyone else, I'm super pleased with the Suter-Brodin pairing. It seems like Suter is actually comfortable with Brodin playing back, so he can jump into plays.

-It was nice to see our 2-3 lines contribute. Felt less.. uh.. like there's not a piano hanging over the team head.

-Best game from Backstrom in forever. Really really felt bad for Harding, that clip of him slamming his stick was pretty bad.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm in DC right now, but caught 80% of the game. I'm loving Brodin with Suter. That is just a great pairing and I think Ryan is really trusting him to stay in position and not have to pinch so much.

It took the Hawks (like I knew it would) to shutdown the top line. We will see that with San Jose and LA as well. Expect Kesler on the ice for it too against Vancouver. Good to see secondary scoring coming up. I hate that Seto hasn't scored, but that kid really trying to play hockey and I will applaud him for that. Granlund needs help and Koivu (I hope) is helping him with that. Brodziak has been a shadow this year sadly

Great win for Backs. Hards shouldn't be upset at all. Both have been through that kind of harshness before. Great win. But still too close to call IMO. Going to need more grit than that. Chicago should have won that game with the sheer amount of great looks they had. That last shot by Hossa from Kane in OT was out of this world.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Great move by Yeo pulling Harding. I'm usually not a fan of the quick trigger but Yeo was wise to see that Harding didn't have it tonight.

It will be interesting to see who plays against the ducks on Friday, Backs has played 3 games in 4 nights, so I think it's logical you give Harding a quick opportunity to bounce back. I expect a good game out of him to make up for his poor start today.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Great move by Yeo pulling Harding. I'm usually not a fan of the quick trigger but Yeo was wise to see that Harding didn't have it tonight.

It will be interesting to see who plays against the ducks on Friday, Backs has played 3 games in 4 nights, so I think it's logical you give Harding a quick opportunity to bounce back. I expect a good game out of him to make up for his poor start today.

They'll give a practice before any decisions. But I would imagine it'll be Harding since its Anaheim

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I like these post game threads. It keeps everything a little more organized, and it's easier to jump into the conversation instead of guessing where to start in some 700 post thread.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
nah, he sucks. Spurge is the only thing that was keeping it together prior...

I joke... He's just fine for his mini mouse size. Just not the #2... put him at 5 with PP time and he will be the "underated" D man of the wild. But that's where he belongs.

We'll call it, the "Leddy treatment".

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I like these post game threads. It keeps everything a little more organized, and it's easier to jump into the conversation instead of guessing where to start in some 700 post thread.

I completely agree. I love how it's organized.

What a great win. Backstrom was so good tonight, Suter and Brodin were peanut butter and jelly, Cullen had a good game, it was refreshing to see those next lines playing very good. Way to finish it in the shoot out!

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Know what having to make a PGT thread means? 1,000 posts in the GDT....which is incredible! Such a long way this board has come...and such an indication of how relevant the Wild themselves have become. Love to see it.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
FFS, seriously tired of hearing about Leddy. He's gone. Couple years now. Ain't a damn thing can be done about it...cept whine of course. But really, that making people feel better about it? At all?

We have what we have and he isn't coming back.

While we're at it, anyone want to state the obvious...again how slow Heatley is? I mean, it really is important that that gets tossed out at least once a thread isn't it?

As far as the game goes. Definitely entertaining. They really do finally look like they're starting to come together.

Suter definitely starting to look a little bit more comfortable. Looked way more confident tonight.

D pairings are looking decent. Never thought I'd say this but really watching Brodin is incredible. Can't wait to see what he looks like when he gets truly comfortable. And whoever made the comment earlier about him being surprisingly physical was right on. I mean, he isn't a beast tossing dudes around, but he sure doesn't shy away from it. Be nice to see Granlund take a hint from him.

Speaking of, I mentioned it before. I wouldn't be opposed to him getting 1-2 more games and getting sent down for a little bit. Get Coyle or Zucker up for some games. Just hate for the kid to lose too much confidence. Has to be a bit of a shock to the system for him. It'll take some time for him to learn to work against guys that play like they do over here along the boards. Angles, body position, etc. And anyone saying bust after 6-7 games is a moronic clownshoe. Take it down a notch shall we?

Really feel sorry right now for Setoguchi. You can see he's flying around, hitting guys, trying his a** off. Just isn't clicking yet for him. Hopefully he pots one and it opens the floodgates for him.

Still driving me nuts that they've got shooters now, yet 80% of the team still has that passing mentality. The power play just frustrates the hell out of me right now. They're stuck out on the perimeter for the entire thing and NO one will head to the net. That and the guys on point never seem to be ready to take those big booming shots when they're served up.

Don't know if it's just me, but one of the things that has impressed me most about this years team is the passing and transition game. The passing on this team so far has really stood out to me. Still not fully to where they could / should be on the transition but they're a lot more smooth and fast on this than they used to be. They're starting to catch a few teams off guard on the rush (seems to be mostly Parise & Butch) and it's leading to some decent chances. Be nice to see a few more guys actually get in behind the opposing teams D. You can definitely see they're trending towards the type of team Yeo wants them to be. It's coming together. Just incredibly slow.

Still, not to bag on Harding but if not for that and Crawford keeping them in it, I think we'd have won this game pretty easily.

As long as they don't take a step back, they're looking good and putting it together.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Great win! Good for Backs. Chicago's firepower is just stunning.

The way Heater and Seto have been playing it's getting really hard to understand all the Granny-bashing.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Here's the thing. The Wild played a HARD game. I mean, they really busted their balls. Some parts were not pretty, some were.

If you're a Chicago fan, you could say the same about the Hawks game tonight. There is going to be eb and flows game to game, and in each game. The important thing is how a team keeps its' composure and plays its' systems no matter how much momentum the other team has gained.

If the Wild play like this, like how they did against a top 3 team in the West, if not the league, we will win many games against the worse teams in the West- and at least be competitive against teams like STL, CHI, SJ, LA. That buys us a playoff spot (<----playoffs?! don't talk about playoffs!).

IF, IFFFFF, the second and third lines click, maybe not even on the same nights, that's sooooo good for this team, especially when our defense plays a very good game like tonight.

And of course, if our goalies play well.

I liked this game, there were many more positives than negatives, and we beat one of the only undefeated teams in the NHL.

kegstandbyme

Apr 12, 2010
Saint Paul, Minnesota
FFS, seriously tired of hearing about Leddy. He's gone. Couple years now. Ain't a damn thing can be done about it...cept whine of course. But really, that making people feel better about it? At all?

We have what we have and he isn't coming back.

While we're at it, anyone want to state the obvious...again how slow Heatley is? I mean, it really is important that that gets tossed out at least once a thread isn't it?

As far as the game goes. Definitely entertaining. They really do finally look like they're starting to come together.

Suter definitely starting to look a little bit more comfortable. Looked way more confident tonight.

D pairings are looking decent. Never thought I'd say this but really watching Brodin is incredible. Can't wait to see what he looks like when he gets truly comfortable. And whoever made the comment earlier about him being surprisingly physical was right on. I mean, he isn't a beast tossing dudes around, but he sure doesn't shy away from it. Be nice to see Granlund take a hint from him.

Speaking of, I mentioned it before. I wouldn't be opposed to him getting 1-2 more games and getting sent down for a little bit. Get Coyle or Zucker up for some games. Just hate for the kid to lose too much confidence. Has to be a bit of a shock to the system for him. It'll take some time for him to learn to work against guys that play like they do over here along the boards. Angles, body position, etc. And anyone saying bust after 6-7 games is a moronic clownshoe. Take it down a notch shall we?

Really feel sorry right now for Setoguchi. You can see he's flying around, hitting guys, trying his a** off. Just isn't clicking yet for him. Hopefully he pots one and it opens the floodgates for him.

Still driving me nuts that they've got shooters now, yet 80% of the team still has that passing mentality. The power play just frustrates the hell out of me right now. They're stuck out on the perimeter for the entire thing and NO one will head to the net. That and the guys on point never seem to be ready to take those big booming shots when they're served up.

Don't know if it's just me, but one of the things that has impressed me most about this years team is the passing and transition game. The passing on this team so far has really stood out to me. Still not fully to where they could / should be on the transition but they're a lot more smooth and fast on this than they used to be. They're starting to catch a few teams off guard on the rush (seems to be mostly Parise & Butch) and it's leading to some decent chances. Be nice to see a few more guys actually get in behind the opposing teams D. You can definitely see they're trending towards the type of team Yeo wants them to be. It's coming together. Just incredibly slow.

Still, not to bag on Harding but if not for that and Crawford keeping them in it, I think we'd have won this game pretty easily.

As long as they don't take a step back, they're looking good and putting it together.

Great post! And I don't mean to overlook the rest of it but to add to this Leddy discussion in the thread...

I'm completely perplexed that fans want to remind themselves of the Leddy trade (a reason to ***** about it incessantly?). Despite that trade, Fletcher has done quite the monumental turn around for this team. :yo:

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Great win! Good for Backs. Chicago's firepower is just stunning.

The way Heater and Seto have been playing it's getting really hard to understand all the Granny-bashing.

You mean playing pretty well, and hard? The only thing I have with either of those two is Heatley's breakout game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad