Why is Jack Hughes on the third line?

Marv Merchants

Sep 2, 2019
Hughes has tried to get too cute a few times which led to bonehead plays. Hughes shouldn't be gifted anything, he doesn't deserve 2nd line right now.

Stamkos started slow too so no need to panic.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
A lot of teams start these really young guys at wing for a couple years. Seems like that could work for Hughes.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Mind you, the AHL is a more physical league and play is more chaotic.
This. Less to learn from the dumber game and more chance of just getting worn down if not injured. (I mean, for a super smart but still small player like Jack. He'd have to be even more slippery than he already is just to survive the meat grinder that is AHL.)

Don't send him down just to have every "Bottom-Six Bubba" line him up for a boarding to impress coaches and scouts the only way they can.

Reactions: Ciao

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
There is a shift-by-shift of his NHL debut.

Plays like this are what I complained about last year. He tried it here and got burned.

Later in the third, his line got hemmed in their own zone for 90 seconds and were scored on.

We see that same play at 0:45 of this video:

He doesn't have adequate experience on the defensive side of the puck to make responsible decisions and isn't strong enough on the puck to be an offensive threat at even strength right now. He'll be stuck in a tweener position playing sheltered minutes, which is the worst scenario for his development.

Last edited:

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
How about you do a similar analysis on his last two games, instead of just cherry picking his worst performances. He was awful in the first game against Jets, and the whole devils roster sucked at Buffalo. But the last two games he’s been one of the best devils players, even though there’s no points to show yet. The most import thing is he gets comfortable and gains confidence, the points will follow. Sucks how many times it has to be said, he’s still just 18, not every 1OA is Matthews/McDavid level.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
There is a shift-by-shift of his NHL debut.

Plays like this are what I complained about last year. He tried it here and got burned.

Later in the third, his line got hemmed in their own zone for 90 seconds and were scored on.

We see that same play at 0:45 of this video:

He doesn't have adequate experience on the defensive side of the puck to make responsible decisions and isn't strong enough on the puck to be an offensive threat at even strength right now. He'll be stuck in a tweener position playing sheltered minutes, which is the worst scenario for his development.

Yep, this has become very clear in his first few games. I recall in his latest game just after his team came out of penalty kill, Jack Hughes was leading a rush but instead of just making a safe high % play with his PK unit badly needing a change, he tried to cut to the middle, lost the puck and caused a breakaway going the other way. It's not talked about so much because it didn't end up being a goal against, but that's a bit too results-orientated for my liking. An NHL center just can't make those plays.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The Devils had an xgf% of 73% with Hughes on the ice last night. The only one who "completely shut him down" was Koskinen.

Nurse forced multiple Hughes turnovers including one strip that led directly to a Granlund breakaway on a stretch pass the other way.

He had another turnover that he forced in OT on Hughes as well as multiple other ones and moving him off the puck along the boards.

Not saying Hughes doesn’t have elite skill and won’t be a good player but he didn’t have any points and basically had one alright shot into Koskinen’s logo early. He’s got a ways to go. Saying xgf% of 73 doesn’t encapsulate what you’re suggesting it does.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Also should remember Johnny Gaudreau was pointless in Calgary first 4 games I believe when he first started and then was a healthy scratch and he turned out fine.

phillydownsouth

Giroux is your daddy
Sep 18, 2019
kid needs to learn how to stop and go. He's not going to get anywhere just looping around and skating in circles. May have worked in juniors but not the NHL, buddy.

Was also pretty funny to see him get bullied in the corners. Really needs to work on his offensive zone skating or else he's going to be a punch dummy for teams

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
kid needs to learn how to stop and go. He's not going to get anywhere just looping around and skating in circles. May have worked in juniors but not the NHL, buddy.

Was also pretty funny to see him get bullied in the corners. Really needs to work on his offensive zone skating or else he's going to be a punch dummy for teams
He isn’t going to have a fun year down low. Season only gets harder the longer it goes on.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
How about you do a similar analysis on his last two games, instead of just cherry picking his worst performances. He was awful in the first game against Jets, and the whole devils roster sucked at Buffalo. But the last two games he’s been one of the best devils players, even though there’s no points to show yet. The most import thing is he gets comfortable and gains confidence, the points will follow. Sucks how many times it has to be said, he’s still just 18, not every 1OA is Matthews/McDavid level.

But he was hyped as a mcdavid/matthews level player.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
New Jersey, please don't start Oilering your forwards. Nothing good comes out of an 18 year old kid being fed to the wolves on a bad team. It does not help development.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Also should remember Johnny Gaudreau was pointless in Calgary first 4 games I believe when he first started and then was a healthy scratch and he turned out fine.

I believe McDavid also strayed slowly which resulted in the infamous “Did Edmonton make a mistake taking McDavid over Eichel” thread

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
But he was hyped as a mcdavid/matthews level player.

Yeah by few, but that always happens with every player. There’s always delusional and over the top statements/opinions about every player. I think the majority put him in the Tavares/Kane range and some (I think Pierre) had him in the Hishier level. It’s always hard to predict how a player will turn out, especially if he’s 15-17 year old at that time. Depends on the player, coaching and team mates how long it takes to figure things out. So let’s just wait a little and watch these young guys play and develop before we judge.

I think he looks good out there, no need to send him to AHL/college or whatever. Hall and Subban give the puck away more than Hughes does. Keep playing him with defensively solid forwards (Zacha, Coleman, Zajac..) and he’ll be alright

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He is playing and learning, no need for worry at all. Few guys who enter the league in their draft year excel in the first season, in their first 10 games...
But HFB told me he was ready for the NHL a year ago!

Dude should be at U of M eating steak 24/7 and playing there for one year. Spare me the he looked good against some shit D3 school schtick.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He reminds me of McDavids 1st 4 games in the NHL you can see the unreal talent , he just needs to work out how to use that skill against way better defence coverage and getting comfortable in the NHL Kid wil lbe a stud , I have not seen so much high end talent in the league since I started watching in late 60's why offence is trending up , also I don't care about Devils start they will be 100 plus point team this season book it , so much speed and talent on team they will be lighting it up as season progresses

Reactions: Oneiro

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Was at the game against Oilers. I thought he looked good when he did what he did best. His shot is atrocious though, only way he will score a goal this year is if he dekes the goalie out of the net it felt like. Huge upgrade from the Buffalo game when he was MIA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad