Why is Jack Hughes on the third line?

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
Flooding the thread here a bit with my replies - but this is poor coaching.

There's sheltering/protecting your player, and then there's being afraid to let the kid do his thing out there.

Jack got less ES TOI than two AHL plugs Hynes dressed on the 4th line last night.
dude its like 4 games in, he needs to adjust to the nhl speed, play, physicality, systems etc. Sheltering him a bit is fine. He also needs to learn to play D and without the puck in general. He'll move up the roster soon enough.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
The Devils are a deep line up to crack. It's the same reason Kakko isnt getting more time with the Rangers. These clubs are stacked!

Nope. The Reason Kakko isn't getting 1st line time is they're not rushing him. Same time Buchnevich had good previous year and deserved his spot, but it's only matter of time Kakko will replace him he is already better.

Reactions: haveandare

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Flooding the thread here a bit with my replies - but this is poor coaching.

There's sheltering/protecting your player, and then there's being afraid to let the kid do his thing out there.

Jack got less ES TOI than two AHL plugs Hynes dressed on the 4th line last night.

Because the coach and org. don't want to burn a no 1 overall as with 2 plugs!
Give him 9 games and send him down for big minutes, call him up after Christmas if he rips it off!
Don't think Devils go anywhere this season, better to save and develop!

Game to night!:thumbu:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just put him in the AHL for a bit maybe?

Mind you, the AHL is a more physical league and play is more chaotic.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Zajac scored 46 points in 80 games last year, which makes if not exactly a great second line center, still about league average in that role as well.

nhl.com has that listed as 71st in production so it's definitely below average, I think it's fair to say Zajac should be a 3C, but yeah he can perform serviceably in his roll and there's no need to rush him out of it for Hughes. I'm surprised at New Jersey's play so far since I thought they'd be better but I don't consider Simmonds-Zajac-Coleman a formidable top 6 line, although I also wouldn't necessarily say they lack forward depth, much of that will rest on Hughes to decide.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That's what development leagues are for, and that specifically is why you don't make a kid who's not ready for NHL play in NHL. If you need to make such considerations, the player likely isn't NHL-ready and shouldn't be playing. In general, NHL is for winning. And for Devils specifically, as Taylor Hall's on his final year of the contract and they just acquired Subban, they probably don't want to just piss the season away for sheltering and catering to youngsters.

I mean, think about Oilers, that's exactly what they did to ruin Nail Yakupov for example. He wasn't ready so he wasn't able to develop his own game.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Im sure he’ll quickly adjust doesnt help that the devils are a tire fire around him kinda hard to learn

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
He looks very overwhelmed so far in the NHL.
Again, if you're watching the games this is not the case. He's learning to adjust to the NHL game, as is to be expected. Especially for an undersized forward who's known for his offensive prowess.

I find it not-so-surprising that the Kakko fan club has made their way to this thread. Move on with your lives, folks.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
That's what development leagues are for, and that specifically is why you don't make a kid who's not ready for NHL play in NHL. If you need to make such considerations, the player likely isn't NHL-ready and shouldn't be playing. In general, NHL is for winning. And for Devils specifically, as Taylor Hall's on his final year of the contract and they just acquired Subban, they probably don't want to just piss the season away for sheltering and catering to youngsters.

I mean, think about Oilers, that's exactly what they did to ruin Nail Yakupov for example. He wasn't ready so he wasn't able to develop his own game.
Yak had a great rookie year though... do you even follow hockey? or just Finnish kids :laugh:

(btw thats not creepy at all)

Reactions: Devilsfan118

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Team looks like crap. The Fire John Hynes crowd has gotten a lot of ammo early on.

Still though, let's calm down. It's been three games. Hughes has made some nice plays and you can tell the skill is there.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
This thread won't age well, and I say that as a (pretty obvious) NYR fan. Honestly I think both he and Kakko are putting too much pressure on themselves and believed they'd come out of the gate swinging. Maybe moreso Hughes than Kakko, based on interviews, but both had a level of swagger and intensity in their own respective ways and were perhaps too sure of themselves. They'll settle down and get into their groove. And it's a lot harder for a smaller center than for a big winger.

NJD isn't devoid of offensive talent at all. They have issues and holes to fix, as do many teams including my Rangers.

Give the guy a break, and a chance. Damn.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
This thread won't age well, and I say that as a (pretty obvious) NYR fan. Honestly I think both he and Kakko are putting too much pressure on themselves and believed they'd come out of the gate swinging. Maybe moreso Hughes than Kakko, based on interviews, but both had a level of swagger and intensity in their own respective ways and were perhaps too sure of themselves. They'll settle down and get into their groove. And it's a lot harder for a smaller center than for a big winger.

NJD isn't devoid of offensive talent at all. They have issues and holes to fix, as do many teams including my Rangers.

Give the guy a break, and a chance. Damn.
You... you stop it with your rationale thinking.

Not allowed in this thread! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Stasis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad