Why is Jack Hughes on the third line?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Expectations are so out of whack for these high drafted players not in a generational draft. 2019 and 2017 are pretty weak drafts.

Hughes and Kakko are more like Nuge/Landeskog/S.Reinhart than the 2015 2016 top players. Of course they are going to struggle as 18 year olds.

Reactions: Paul4587

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Expectations are so out of whack for these high drafted players not in a generational draft. 2019 and 2017 are pretty weak drafts.

Hughes and Kakko are more like Nuge/Landeskog/S.Reinhart than the 2015 2016 top players. Of course they are going to struggle as 18 year olds.

It's tough to tell with #1s, there's always so much hype- I figured Kane was more the projection they'd hope for? Not sure who Kakko is supposed to equal, but ya, I feel like during that year each player is looked at in kinda an ideal outcome sorta way- they start focusing on who the top 5 players COULD turn into and they stop mentioning "this class isn't as strong as last year's."

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
It's tough to tell with #1s, there's always so much hype- I figured Kane was more the projection they'd hope for? Not sure who Kakko is supposed to equal, but ya, I feel like during that year each player is looked at in kinda an ideal outcome sorta way- they start focusing on who the top 5 players COULD turn into and they stop mentioning "this class isn't as strong as last year's."

I remember Kane's draft (I'm old). He was an obvious cut above the other prospects. Just elite stick handling and shot. So Kakko is JVR then? :)

IMO the top 2 players in the 2017 and 2019 drafts more like 60-70pt players (with peak 80-90 years).

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008

Landeskog won the Calder, had 22 goals/52 points, 220 hits, and was named Captain the summer after his rookie season.

There was no struggle. I don’t see either Kakko or Hughes struggles lasting beyond October.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Landeskog won the Calder, had 22 goals/52 points, 220 hits, and was named Captain the summer after his rookie season.

There was no struggle. I don’t see either Kakko or Hughes struggles lasting beyond October.

Lando (who I wanted the Oilers to draft) was physically ready at 18. Also if you told some fans that Hughes or Kakko they’d only score 50 points in their rookie season they’d be livid. There is an expectation to hit 70-80 like Kane, Matthews, etc.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Lando (who I wanted the Oilers to draft) was physically ready at 18. Also if you told some fans that Hughes or Kakko they’d only score 50 points in their rookie season they’d be livid. There is an expectation to hit 70-80 like Kane, Matthews, etc.
Fair enough, I was just pointing out Landeskog didn’t struggle. He stepped right into the lineup and instantly became what was expected of him. Can’t say the same of Nuge or Reinhart.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Give it time. Jack will be fine

But new jersey trying to be the new oilers with all these #1 oa picks on the team and yet still will be gunning for another #1oa at this rate.

Reactions: KK91

KK91

Jan 7, 2009
There is no denying how talented this fellow is. I am a hockey nerd and have watched this guy right through from Bantam AAA hockey. He is going to be just fine.

The NHL is a huge adjustment and once he fully adjusts to how to maneuver around strong men its over. Hockey is all about confidence so you will see this guy blow up the charts once a goals go in. Watch out

Reactions: DeeQ

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
USNTDP to the NHL is quite the jump. Maybe he should've gone the NCAA or CHL route last season.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
john_hynes.jpg

DERP

Reactions: Blender

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t know why so many mention the jump up from USHL to NHL. I think Hughes teammate would made the jump just fine and it’s been made before. Hughes is struggling in the middle of the ice because he’s not a center. It’s a hard jump up and he’s capable of making it, but why would you make it that much more difficult for him?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
I don’t know why so many mention the jump up from USHL to NHL. I think Hughes teammate would made the jump just fine and it’s been made before. Hughes is struggling in the middle of the ice because he’s not a center. It’s a hard jump up and he’s capable of making it, but why would you make it that much more difficult for him?

You're just ignoring the differences between individual players, though. With Hughes' size and play style it was always likely to be a rougher transition than most- meanwhile a guy like J. Johnson transitions easier because he was already built for the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're just ignoring the differences between individual players, though. With Hughes' size and play style it was always likely to be a rougher transition than most- meanwhile a guy like J. Johnson transitions easier because he was already built for the NHL.

There are plenty of light skill wingers in the NHL. His linemate Gusev is doing well. Hughes will get pushed around and get his share of points this season. The criticism is coming from his struggles in other areas of the game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
There are plenty of light skill wingers in the NHL. His linemate Gusev is doing well. Hughes will get pushed around and get his share of points this season. The criticism is coming from his struggles in other areas of the game.
Yikes, you give yourself away here. For one, he's only played 13:54 with Gusev and 5on5, and 45:25 without him. They haven't been linemates since the 2nd game of the season against Buffalo. Gusev has not been good, he's been downright awful outside of his 2 goals. 31 CF% (worst on the team), 32.84 SF% (worst on the team), 24.11 xGF% (worst on the team), 15.79 HDCF% (worst on the team), etc. Gusev gets completely caved in every shift he takes, it's brutal. Scoring 2 goals is nice and all, but when he's getting dominated every shift he's contributing to losing, not winning. Hopefully Gusev turns things around here as the season goes on, because otherwise he'll be back in the KHL sooner rather than later.

Hughes in games 3, 4, and 5 has been much better than in the first 2. Still needs to get better in the faceoff circle of course, but most 18 year old rookies are terrible there. In the last 3 games at 5on5, Hughes is 2nd in CF% at 64.91, 2nd in SF% at 67.74, 2nd in xGF% at 73.34, etc. His line has been completely controlling the game while on the ice, and if it keeps up the points are going to come, because no one plays that well and doesn't start scoring.

Everyone knows he needs to get stronger and needs to be better in the defensive end, this isn't controversial or even a profound insight. Hopefully they keep Zacha on his wing, who is very good defensively and a huge body to grind out in the corner, which will cover some of that up while Hughes develops. Of course this has pretty much all been covered in this thread already, so...

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018

Obviously there's plenty of light skilled wingers, never claimed otherwise- I'm saying the size makes that transition tougher sometimes. Guys like Hughes have dominated their entire lives, dudes weren't skilled enough to keep up with him. Get to the highest level and it's a totally different game, and some guys take awhile to figure out how their game fits into that. If you're 6'0" and 200 pounds you just need to play a bit better. If you're 165 lbs you gotta figure out how to play the game so that your skills still shine while also not getting wrecked physically or in the defensive game, and that can be more difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad