Why is it taking so long to extend Chabot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Would guess he will be traded between now and July 1st 2020 personally, hopefully get a bidding war going for extra futures!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He would sign here, he’s more than happy here.

Will they offer him a fair contract is the only question, as I’m not sure Chabot is willing to forgo the type of contract his ilk is getting off their ELC’s, that they have earned.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I don't think they have a choice but to sign Chabot. They're down to almost zero goodwill from the fans and I'm sure seasons ticket sales reflect that. One more loss of a star player, especially a young one, and they might not even fill half the arena this and the next season. They've surely lost many fans as is and there's no way they've made any new ones in the last year or two.

The only option is to give Chabot everything he wants and hope that it somewhat appeases the base.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I don't think they have a choice but to sign Chabot. They're down to almost zero goodwill from the fans and I'm sure seasons ticket sales reflect that. One more loss of a star player, especially a young one, and they might not even fill half the arena this and the next season. They've surely lost many fans as is and there's no way they've made any new ones in the last year or two.

The only option is to give Chabot everything he wants and hope that it somewhat appeases the base.

The funniest thing is a lot of the players are probably leaving because of the terrible management and lack of direction rather than the money. Who wants to play for a team that only cares about cutting costs and saving money.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
The funniest thing is a lot of the players are probably leaving because of the terrible management and lack of direction rather than the money. Who wants to play for a team that only cares about cutting costs and saving money.

I know if I was a player and had the chance to go to a team with a future, with better players to surround me, and they offered a better contract, I would do it.

Chabot will have the chance to sign an offer sheet and will control his own future, Melnyk won't match the bonus structure. This will honestly represent the end for this fanbase.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The team will match any fantasy offer sheet. I don’t see any way that this team does not lock TC down.

He’s not at all in the same situation as EK, Stone, Duchene, Dzingle.

The money will be found to make it happen, I 100% believe that. As L’Avy was saying, there is just no chance that the team could survive losing TC, none.

The rest of the guys were questionable to keep at those contracts, no matter how upset fans of them are, that would have been 30 million a year in three players moving into the tail end of their primes, responsible for leading this team to two straight bottom of the league finishes. It was an understandable time and situation to cut bait and rebuild, not to mention that two of the guys weren’t entertaining signing here long term for a rebuild anyways (or with EM as owner, whatever their personal reasons).

Imagine continued failure with them on the team, with massive albatross contracts with full NMCs. We’d never be able to get rid of them for the assets we got in return this year. We’d have to do favours to offload our best players rather than have teams competing to grab them as upcoming UFAs. This is not at all a slight to any of the players, but two straight lastish place finishes should spell the end.

Letting TC go would be unforgivable, and indefensible. Hate EM as much as he deserves, but he does actually want success for his Sens, and definitely wants fans to come back (if only for the effects on his bottom line). There is nothing to be gained, and everything to be lost by not signing TC.

He will be signed, even if PD is forced to let another team negotiate the deal via offer sheet, and take it to EM for approval. It will get done.

My opinion of course.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The team will match any fantasy offer sheet. I don’t see any way that this team does not lock TC down.

The money will be found to make it happen, I 100% believe that. As L’Avy was saying, there is just no chance that the team could survive losing TC, none.

The rest of the guys were questionable to keep at those contracts, no matter how upset fans of them are, that would have been 30 million a year in three players moving into the tail end of their primes, responsible for leading this team to two straight bottom of the league finishes. It was an understandable time and situation to cut bait and rebuild, not to mention that two of the guys weren’t entertaining signing here long term for a rebuild anyways (or with EM as owner, whatever their personal reasons).

Imagine continued failure with them on the team, with massive albatross contracts with full NMCs. We’d never be able to get rid of them for the assets we got in return this year. We’d have to do favours to offload our best players rather than have teams competing to grab them as upcoming UFAs. This is not at all a slight to any of the players, but two straight lastish place finishes should spell the end.

Letting TC go would be unforgivable, and indefensible. Hate EM as much as he deserves, but he does actually want success for his Sens, and definitely wants fans to come back (if only for the effects on his bottom line). There is nothing to be gained, and everything to be lost by not signing TC.

He will be signed, even if PD is forced to let another team negotiate the deal via offer sheet, and take it to EM for approval. It will get done.

My opinion of course.
Let’s just say I take your optimism for what it is worth.

If you truly believe that EM will front 25M in bonus money heading into a lockout, you are dreaming in technicolor, IMO.

Nothing we have seen from this owner indicates your confidence is based on anything but your wishful thinking fantasy.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Let’s just say I take your optimism for what it is worth.

If you truly believe that EM will front 25M in bonus money heading into a lockout, you are dreaming in technicolor, IMO.

Nothing we have seen from this owner indicates your confidence is based on anything but your wishful thinking fantasy.

It’s not really optimism. It’s more that not being able to keep a young star about to enter his prime is a death knell for the organization, and his ownership in particular.

Trading away stars after two dismal failure years can be defended, but trading away TC because we can pay him appropriately is not.

Had we a history of not signing our players off of their ELCs, I would agree that there is reason to worry, but that hasn’t been an issue. We also allegedly offered a bonus laden contract to Stone, so it’s not as though we physically can’t offer bonus money.

No, it’s not about optimism, it’s about the survival of the franchise. To that end I think the entire fan base, ownership, management, and even the Glebe, are all on the same page.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

My opinion of course.
It's absolutely insane to have such hand waving optimism.

This is a team still giving up picks for small bonuses being paid and small annual savings.

A team already below the floor that spent their summer trying to get even further below even at the expense of potentially gaining assets for the rebuild.

I think fans are in for a serious shock when this guy is gone in the next year.

Reactions: Boud

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It’s not really optimism. It’s more that not being able to keep a young star about to enter his prime is a death knell for the organization, and his ownership in particular.

Trading away stars after two dismal failure years can be defended, but trading away TC because we can pay him appropriately is not.

Had we a history of not signing our players off of their ELCs, I would agree that there is reason to worry, but that hasn’t been an issue. We also allegedly offered a bonus laden contract to Stone, so it’s not as though we physically can’t offer bonus money.

No, it’s not about optimism, it’s about the survival of the franchise. To that end I think the entire fan base, ownership, management, and even the Glebe, are all on the same page.
The death knell for this ownership has already taken place. You just didn’t notice.

Trading away a generational Dman, star forward and #1C is indefensible when none of them are on the wrong side of 30.

Eugene has a long history of refusing to pay talent market value and absolute refusal to give out bonus money. (Remember the lawsuit over Heatley’s bonus money?)

You proudly proclaim your optimism in all things Sens. It is your calling card. Your opinion on this situation is entirely the same MO.

Eugene owns the team. If he wants to wait for the next CBA to “fix things” before he spends again, there is no amount of optimism that will change things.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

This is a team still giving up picks for small bonuses being paid and small annual savings.

A team already below the floor that spent their summer trying to get even further below even at the expense of potentially gaining assets for the rebuild.

Especially when the same poster was telling us the Sens would pony up to pay Stone...

Of course, the “have to pay Chabot” take ignores the precedent it will set when Brady is due the next summer. (And whichever one’s of the prospects turn into stars in future years)

Eugene hasn’t lived up to past spending promises, but he really means it this time... LOL

Reactions: Boud

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The death knell for this ownership has already taken place. You just didn’t notice.

Trading away a generational Dman, star forward and #1C is indefensible when none of them are on the wrong side of 30.

We have a long history of refusing to pay talent market value and absolute refusal to give out bonus money. (Remember the lawsuit over Heatley’s bonus money?)

You proudly proclaim your optimism in all things Sens. It is your calling card. Your opinion on this situation is entirely the same MO.

Eugene owns the team. If he wants to wait for the next CBA to “fix things” before he spends again, there is no amount of optimism that will change things.
To be fair, if i recall the heatley bonus money lawsuit was because he ok'd trade talks with Edm then vetoed the trade after it was finalized delaying the whole process till after the bonus had to be paid. I'd be pissed too if i felt he broke a verbal contract that not only submarined a better hockey deal but cost me millions too.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

The team can definitely survive losing TC. Its Tkachuk that they can't afford to lose. The org and the media can just follow the exact same pattern they did with EK, criticize his defensive play, point out every single error he makes, make up a story about him being a locker room cancer and Bingo, fans turned. Gonna be easy too when this team is so bad that with Chabot playing close to 30 minutes every night, his +/- will be like -40, fans and media love to discuss poor plus/minus. Worked with Karlsson, should work with Chabot.

On the flip side, the org and the media have been doing everything in their power to make Tkachuk be the face of this frnachise going forward. If Tkachuk leaves, then the final nail will be put in the coffin.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
To be fair, if i recall the heatley bonus money lawsuit was because he ok'd trade talks with Edm then vetoed the trade after it was finalized delaying the whole process till after the bonus had to be paid. I'd be pissed too if i felt he broke a verbal contract that not only submarined a better hockey deal but cost me millions too.
Thanks for the details. Didn’t really remember those.

Still, I think it is fair to say that it has left Melnyk “Signing Bonus Averse”.

Does cap friendly list the total signing bonuses a team pays out?

Edit, Just checked.

They have the Sens at 7.845 M on signing bonus...5.5M of which was paid by other teams to lower the package they’d have to give to the Sens in recent trades.

So an owner who is currently giving out 2.345 (2M to the last big contract given to Ryan that they have been tying to dump for 2 years.) is suddenly going to hand over 25M to Chabot in a lockout year.

Anyone taking this stance is living in denial of the facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rand0m

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Well, I’m not surprised by your stance, you have a darker view of this team than virtually anyone else in here.

As I explained twice now, my opinion is not based on optimism, but rather in survival. I don’t think the team could survive if it starts trading away it’s star players who are about to enter their prime, over whom we have full control.

You seem to be mistaking a massive drive to save money at the start of a rebuild, with a sign that this is now the high water mark for spending. Common sense would dictate that this is a savings method in order to either pay down debt, or put aside money to pay our young stars.

We all know that there isn’t a lot of money to go around, and I personally would rather pay a few picks in order to have the money we’ll need to pay TC and CW. I mean, ideally I’d prefer that we didn’t need to engage in the shenanigans at all, but give the financial realities of the team, I support the methodology so long as the kids get signed.

Personally, I am taking EM at his word about fyous simply because he said it in a closed event with his partners and sponsors. While he could be stringing them along for their continued support, if he is, then when the cloak strikes midnight he will be completely done. You can repeatedly tell fans what they want to hear, and stay afloat, but lying directly into the faces of your partners and sponsors, in person, would spell the end of all of that financial support. And we all know EM needs every bit he can get.

I look at fyous as a means to pacify his financial partners with a plan to spend, the rebuild and cost cutting is timely to ensure that funds are secured for fyous, and when the team starts winning, many fans will return which will lead to a bump in revenue, and exposure to sponsors and partner’s businesses. You don’t have to deal directly with angry diehards when a winning team will bring back casuals by the thousands. We’ll see if it works, but it seems clear to me that this is some semblance of the plan.

Being unable to sign TC would shatter all of that, and there would be no going back. I suspect that if that we’re to happen, that we’d finally see the media explosion that folks are dying to see, as sponsors jump ship, the NHL image takes a massive hit in a Canadian city, and fans turn away in droves again. The NHL would almost assuredly have to step in, and the value of the franchise would be at an ‘all time’ low (compared to current market), for EM to sell.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well, I’m not surprised by your stance, you have a darker view of this team than virtually anyone else in here.

As I explained twice now, my opinion is not based on optimism, but rather in survival. I don’t think the team could survive if it starts trading away it’s star players who are about to enter their prime, over whom we have full control.

You seem to be mistaking a massive drive to save money at the start of a rebuild, with a sign that this is now the high water mark for spending. Common sense would dictate that this is a savings method in order to either pay down debt, or put aside money to pay our young stars.

We all know that there isn’t a lot of money to go around, and I personally would rather pay a few picks in order to have the money we’ll need to pay TC and CW. I mean, ideally I’d prefer that we didn’t need to engage in the shenanigans at all, but give the financial realities of the team, I support the methodology so long as the kids get signed.

Personally, I am taking EM at his word about fyous simply because he said it in a closed event with his partners and sponsors. While he could be stringing them along for their continued support, if he is, then when the cloak strikes midnight he will be completely done. You can repeatedly tell fans what they want to hear, and stay afloat, but lying directly into the faces of your partners and sponsors, in person, would spell the end of all of that financial support. And we all know EM needs every bit he can get.

I look at fyous as a means to pacify his financial partners with a plan to spend, the rebuild and cost cutting is timely to ensure that funds are secured for fyous, and when the team starts winning, many fans will return which will lead to a bump in revenue, and exposure to sponsors and partner’s businesses. You don’t have to deal directly with angry diehards when a winning team will bring back casuals by the thousands. We’ll see if it works, but it seems clear to me that this is some semblance of the plan.

Being unable to sign TC would shatter all of that, and there would be no going back. I suspect that if that we’re to happen, that we’d finally see the media explosion that folks are dying to see, as sponsors jump ship, the NHL image takes a massive hit in a Canadian city, and fans turn away in droves again. The NHL would almost assuredly have to step in, and the value of the franchise would be at an ‘all time’ low (compared to current market), for EM to sell.
And therein lies the difference.

No way in hell I'm falling for his bullshit spending promises again.

I agree that it's an absolute necessity for them, but I also don't think it's up to them.

Everything they've done for years now is that of a team that prioritizes money first and foremost and the hockey 2nd.

If they don't sign Chabot can we at least finally call a spade a spade or will the goal posts be moved again?

Reactions: Rand0m

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

My opinion of course.

EM has ~$20M in liquidity. You sure about that? [mod]

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Eugene has a long history of refusing to pay talent market value and absolute refusal to give out bonus money. (Remember the lawsuit over Heatley’s bonus money?)

Well, that’s something. [mod]

- EK will be 29 when his 8 year deal kicks in...
- The franchise doesn’t really look like it’s on its last legs at all. It’s a signed CW and TC away from rendering your posts irrelevant again.
- EM was pissed at Heater because he stalled his trade until after EM paid his bonus if I remember correctly. It smacked of some form of collusion.
- Stone was offered a pretty huge deal allegedly, but chose a bigger one with a full NMC, I do t miss that in the slightest.
- Duchene said the money offers were fair, but he wanted to win now rather than rebuild.
- I don’t really care how you characterize my opinion, nor do I view optimism as a negative.
- I suppose I could argue that there is no amount of negativity that can change things either. I know which way I’d prefer to live my life, and I can see how you prefer to live yours. To each their own I say.

Don’t know why I took the bait, bored I guess...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pierre Dorion and Guy Boucher were responsible for this, not EK and Stone.

Lol, yeah you’re probably right. The players weren’t responsible for playing bad enough to be last in the league.

The captain openly feuding with other players in the locker room probably didn’t have anything to do with it, despite several players and pundits claiming the opposite.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose....

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well, that’s something.

- EK will be 29 when his 8 year deal kicks in...
- The franchise doesn’t really look like it’s on its last legs at all. It’s a signed CW and TC away from rendering your posts irrelevant again.
- EM was pissed at Heater because he stalled his trade until after EM paid his bonus if I remember correctly. It smacked of some form of collusion.
- Stone was offered a pretty huge deal allegedly, but chose a bigger one with a full NMC, I do t miss that in the slightest.
- Duchene said the money offers were fair, but he wanted to win now rather than rebuild.
- I don’t really care how you characterize my opinion, nor do I view optimism as a negative.
- I suppose I could argue that there is no amount of negativity that can change things either. I know which way I’d prefer to live my life, and I can see how you prefer to live yours. To each their own I say.

Don’t know why I took the bait, bored I guess...
So many good excuses for why they never needed to spend. Has there been anyone through the organization that IS worth the money?

The CBA excuse is already lined up for when they deal Chabot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
And therein lies the difference.

No way in hell I'm falling for his bull**** spending promises again.

I agree that it's an absolute necessity for them, but I also don't think it's up to them.

Everything they've done for years now is that of a team that prioritizes money first and foremost and the hockey 2nd.

If they don't sign Chabot can we at least finally call a spade a spade or will the goal posts be moved again?

It’s hockey, I don’t fall for anything. I look at the situation form an opinion, and move on.

You guys are the ones who move the goal posts. If you all lives by your own words, most of you would be fine by now, but no, we still have to be subjected to the whining and complaining.

If I lose interest and enjoyment concerning the team I’ll walk away, while you’ll still be here with your empty threats and endless misery....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad