Why is it taking so long to extend Chabot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Well, you did demand that I service you with information that is easily available at your finger tips. Hi would you classify that demand?

And I didn’t call people lazy, I called you lazy, in response to you no being willing to do what you demand of others... fits the definition, no?

Move on...
You made an unsubstantiated claim.
It is your job to support it with evidence.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We're definitely gonna pay a two-time Norris top 10 player in the game who's also our captain..

We're definitely gonna pay one of the best wingers in the game who's our future captain and just 25 years old...

We're definitely gonna re-sign our #1C after not having a real one since Spezza...

We're definitely gonna match any offer sheet with bonus structure made to one of the best up and coming players in the league...

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice shame on me.
Fool me 3 times and.... Yikes wake up.

If the only thing you're hanging on in hopes to re-sign Chabot is "they have to sign him", well you know it's likely that it's not gonna happen.

Why is it so hard to see that EK didn’t want to sign an extension, you can make a two time Norris captain sign an extension as a pending UFA.

Maybe it was a change needed, maybe he hates the owner, and maybe he wanted to live in a nice environment, but one thing is pretty clear from both sides, and that is that there was no effort to sign an extension from EKs camp; none.

Duchene also clearly stated that he left to be able to compete, not financial reasons. Again, you can’t force a guy to sign a deal.

The only guy it seemed that they could have signed was Stone, but could you imagine topping that Vegas contract?? Did he even ever plan on signing with Ottawa, or did he leverage negotiations with Ottawa to get that massive extension offer from Vegas. Again, where would you rather play and live at 25?

Things aren’t always black and white. Do I think the team did everything they could? Nope, I think they had lines in the sand for each player, but that doesn’t mean that had they offered more money that any of them would have signed with a team that had just finished last two years in a row with them, and was about to enter a rebuild.

Yeah I’d pass, and get paid more to boot?!

Anywhoo.... I have things to do. Good chats folks!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Why is it so hard to see that EK didn’t want to sign an extension, you can make a two time Norris captain sign an extension as a pending UFA.

Maybe it was a change needed, maybe he hates the owner, and maybe he wanted to live in a nice environment, but one thing is pretty clear from both sides, and that is that there was no effort to sign an extension from EKs camp; none.

Duchene also clearly stated that he left to be able to compete, not financial reasons. Again, you can’t force a guy to sign a deal.

The only guy it seemed that they could have signed was Stone, but could you imagine topping that Vegas contract?? Did he even ever plan on signing with Ottawa, or did he leverage negotiations with Ottawa to get that massive extension offer from Vegas. Again, where would you rather play and live at 25?

Things aren’t always black and white. Do I think the team did everything they could? Nope, I think they had lines in the sand for each player, but that doesn’t mean that had they offered more money that any of them would have signed with a team that had just finished last two years in a row with them, and was about to enter a rebuild.

Blame the player (EK)
Blame the player (Duchene)
Blame the player (Stone)

Its not always the players fault.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You made an unsubstantiated claim.
It is your job to support it with evidence.

No, it’s a chat forum, I shared my opinion, and you can like it or lump it dude.

Makes no difference to me. I would suggest that you educate yourself on the issue, but then again who has the time for that....

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

EK wanted market value.

Eugene wanted a financially motivated firesale.

Reactions: Cosmix

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
No, it’s a chat forum, I shared my opinion, and you can like it or lump it dude
You didn't share an opinion, you made a claim that multiple teammates did not like Erik Karlsson and refused to provide proof, then called me lazy for not wanting to find imaginary, non-existent articles that discussed EK being a bad teammate.

Now, when you called out on it by me and other posters, you deflect:

Let’s stop now, I’m bored of this.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
No, it’s a chat forum, I shared my opinion, and you can like it or lump it dude.

Makes no difference to me. I would suggest that you educate yourself on the issue, but then again who has the time for that....
You are claiming facts in support of your opinion that are unsubstantiated.

It is your responsibility to support them when others question those facts.

Simply passing your misinformation off as valid doesn’t cut it, but is resorted to by people who are fabricating a narrative.

Reactions: The Lewler

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Are you going to address the fact that our ownership isn’t even bothering to fill key positions in the org?

Front Office

What about fulfilling this promise?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-senators-hiring-president-hockey-operations-1.5062480

The last big contract we signed was Ryan on Oct 4 2014.

We are giving out 235,000 in signing bonuses to anyone signed after Ryan.

You still want to stick to your “Sens will find 25M in bonus money for Chabot in a lockout season” stance?

That opinion is beyond optimistic and firmly into delusional, IMO.

What do you want addressed? The franchise is in serious cash saving mode. As to why that is? We’ll find out at some point.

It did seem that no one we wanted was willing to do the poho job for us. It’s probably good for us not to hire more trash and wait and see.

I dont really need to address these things, I haven’t made any statements to their contrary or validity.

In sum I think that if EM forces PD to trade TC because he can’t or won’t afford him, then he is don’t with not just the fans, but with his sponsors and partners, and I don’t see how he could come back from that. It also give the NHL parity image a massive black eye, and I think GB would have to step in.

I dunno, maybe that’s EM eventual course, but I personally don’t see the silver lining in it for him from any perspective.

We’ll have to wait and see. Now I’m out

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Mark Stone 100% wanted to stay in Ottawa. He didn't because the team refused to offer him lockout protection in the form of bonus money. Idgaf if anyone believes me or not, but that's the truth.
The parents of Stone said at a game of Vegas Stone want to play for Vegas

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You didn't share an opinion, you made a claim that multiple teammates did not like Erik Karlsson and refused to provide proof, then called me lazy for not wanting to find imaginary, non-existent articles that discussed EK being a bad teammate.

Now, when you called out on it by me and other posters, you deflect:

Dude, I’ve argued and explained this point before. If you need a refresher you can go back and check my post history, or research in your own.

It’s easier to claim I’m deflecting and move on I suppose.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
@Ice-Tray: Aren't you preaching positivity and how important it is to support the team all the way from Victoria BC?? How have YOU been supporting the team, how have you been impacted by Melnyk's BS? How has Melnyk's destruction of the Lebreton deal affected you? I'm guessing not like anyone local who wants to see improvements and investments to their community (Lebreton wasn't JUST about a new arena, it was a way to completely change the downtown Ottawa landscape. It's a HUGE game changing development for Ottawa and Melnyk's greed and lack of money delayed this even more. Shovels should have already been in the ground a long time ago. This is why local fans are boycotting Melnyk, he's destroyed our beloved team and a cornerstone project for this city.

You then make claims that Karlsson was a locker room cancer yet provide no evidence. The only issue that was ever verified was that one between the wives, other than that you're making crap up. When anyone asks you to justify your comments you simply brush them off and say they should support YOUR arguments??

Fact is, Melnyk is actively trying to destroy this team (who knows why) but there's ZERO effort put into improving this team on and off the ice. Both local junior teams have better front office staff than the Sens and they don't even come close to having the same revenue. Front office staff should be a blip on the budget radar yet here we are.

The franchise is absolutely on it's last legs, non-existant front office staff, attendance is in free fall and bound to get A LOT worse this year, players don't want to sign here, front office staff doesn't want to sign here. The prospect pool is full of potential OK NHL's, but outside of Chabot and Tkachuk, there's not much quality.

Seriously, can you point to ANY positives over the past 2-3 seasons?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What do you want addressed? The franchise is in serious cash saving mode. As to why that is? We’ll find out at some point.

It did seem that no one we wanted was willing to do the poho job for us. It’s probably good for us not to hire more trash and wait and see.

I dont really need to address these things, I haven’t made any statements to their contrary or validity.

In sum I think that if EM forces PD to trade TC because he can’t or won’t afford him, then he is don’t with not just the fans, but with his sponsors and partners, and I don’t see how he could come back from that. It also give the NHL parity image a massive black eye, and I think GB would have to step in.

I dunno, maybe that’s EM eventual course, but I personally don’t see the silver lining in it for him from any perspective.

We’ll have to wait and see. Now I’m out
Perhaps you should consider the following.

The majority of fans have already checked out.

The majority of sponsors have already checked out.

Losing Chabot would provide the NHL in general, and Eugene in particular, with ammo going into the CBA negotiations. It certainly seems viable to me that a cash starved Melnyk would be willing to make TC a sacrificial lamb.

Reactions: The Lewler

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
@Ice-Tray: Aren't you preaching positivity and how important it is to support the team all the way from Victoria BC?? How have YOU been supporting the team, how have you been impacted by Melnyk's BS? How has Melnyk's destruction of the Lebreton deal affected you? I'm guessing not like anyone local who wants to see improvements and investments to their community (Lebreton wasn't JUST about a new arena, it was a way to completely change the downtown Ottawa landscape. It's a HUGE game changing development for Ottawa and Melnyk's greed and lack of money delayed this even more. Shovels should have already been in the ground a long time ago. This is why local fans are boycotting Melnyk, he's destroyed our beloved team and a cornerstone project for this city.

You then make claims that Karlsson was a locker room cancer yet provide no evidence. The only issue that was ever verified was that one between the wives, other than that you're making crap up. When anyone asks you to justify your comments you simply brush them off and say they should support YOUR arguments??

Fact is, Melnyk is actively trying to destroy this team (who knows why) but there's ZERO effort put into improving this team on and off the ice. Both local junior teams have better front office staff than the Sens and they don't even come close to having the same revenue. Front office staff should be a blip on the budget radar yet here we are.

The franchise is absolutely on it's last legs, non-existant front office staff, attendance is in free fall and bound to get A LOT worse this year, players don't want to sign here, front office staff doesn't want to sign here. The prospect pool is full of potential OK NHL's, but outside of Chabot and Tkachuk, there's not much quality.

Seriously, can you point to ANY positives over the past 2-3 seasons?

First, this firestorm started because I’m of a kind that EM has to have TC singed or his is absolutely done by having lied to his partners and sponsors. Somehow that has turned into people arguing that I’m being stupidly optimistic that we will sign him. I’m arguing self preservation and being treated as though I’m arguing benevolence. Too funny, but eventually I get tired saying the same thing over and over again to people who are seemingly only reading their own posts.

I have never claimed EK was a locker room cancer, but have already at length posted listing all of the various media, players, and team mates, people with direct contact to the NHL and locker room who have discussed the ‘broken’ room, with several of them referencing EK directly. This is not new news, this is just ignored news. The board voice eventually decided that the broken room was made up by PD, and that the EK and Hoff thing was just a blip. Now you want me to go and dig everything up again, because everyone was so open to it the first time? Haha, no thanks. Even you start with saying I claimed he was a cancer, something I have not done. In this case the topic came up because a posted said that the coach and manager were the sole reason for that terrible season, while I suggested that perhaps there was another important reason involving the players.

It’s hard to have a real discussion with someone who actual thinks that EM is actively trying to ruin his own team/business. I think I’ll leave that one and the rest of your post alone.

As for your Ottawa stuff, I lived away, but lived there just as long and longer than most of you. I don’t support the team in any way from out here. I have no problems with people boycotting, have not Asia’s much of anything about Lebreton, other than be disappointed like everyone else. I’m not preaching positivity, rather I find myself endlessly defending my opinions and perspective. It is what it is.

I’d be very selective with the use of the word ‘fact’ if you’re trying to be serious, because in the world of sports fandom there are next ton none available to fans.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
First, this firestorm started because I’m of a kind that EM has to have TC singed or his is absolutely done by having lied to his partners and sponsors. Somehow that has turned into people arguing that I’m being stupidly optimistic that we will sign him. I’m arguing self preservation and being treated as though I’m arguing benevolence. Too funny, but eventually I get tired saying the same thing over and over again to people who are seemingly only reading their own posts.

I have never claimed EK was a locker room cancer, but have already at length posted listing all of the various media, players, and team mates, people with direct contact to the NHL and locker room who have discussed the ‘broken’ room, with several of them referencing EK directly. This is not new news, this is just ignored news. The board voice eventually decided that the broken room was made up by PD, and that the EK and Hoff thing was just a blip. Now you want me to go and dig everything up again, because everyone was so open to it the first time? Haha, no thanks. Even you start with saying I claimed he was a cancer, something I have not done. In this case the topic came up because a posted said that the coach and manager were the sole reason for that terrible season, while I suggested that perhaps there was another important reason involving the players.

It’s hard to have a real discussion with someone who actual thinks that EM is actively trying to ruin his own team/business. I think I’ll leave that one and the rest of your post alone.

As for your Ottawa stuff, I lived away, but lived there just as long and longer than most of you. I don’t support the team in any way from out here. I have no problems with people boycotting, have not Asia’s much of anything about Lebreton, other than be disappointed like everyone else. I’m not preaching positivity, rather I find myself endlessly defending my opinions and perspective. It is what it is.

I’d be very selective with the use of the word ‘fact’ if you’re trying to be serious, because in the world of sports fandom there are next ton none available to fans.
To be fair, this is what you claimed:

The captain openly feuding with other players in the locker room

You were asked to provide proof and you had none. Here is the exact quote from Craig Anderson that many reference when discussing the supposed locker room drama:

“My only comment on that is that I’m too old for drama and I don’t want anything to do with drama. Hopefully, we’ve resolved all that. Ottawa. I’ve been there for eight years now, and that’s my home. I’ve got no interest in going anywhere else as long as we can clean up what was going on this summer.”

"Clean-up what was going on this summer"
seems more likely to be a quote directed at the organization that Garrioch carefully worded to imply he was talking about Karlsson. If the drama was in the locker room, why would Anderson reference "the summer"? Were they playing hockey in the summer? The drama in the summer he speaks of had nothing to do with Karlsson and much more to do with the multiple missteps taken by the organization last summer.

Do you or anyone else need to be reminded about who or what cause drama last summer?

Goalie Craig Anderson says he’s ‘too old for drama’ with Senators

At no point in this article does Craig Anderson point his finger at Karlsson, even stating that he didn't even know anything was going on.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
White not signing is simply because they either haven’t agreed on contract length/aav, or because White is waiting on the RFA dominoes to fall. White signing isn’t an issue at all, as he only has a 40 point season to fall back on. He will be signed one way or another.

Chabot’s will be much more difficult and will be very concerning because of the tier of RFA he will be in, and the state of affairs the Sens are currently embroiled in. Very real (almost assured) offersheet possibility and the type of contract his ilk are getting are the epitome of everything we don’t do with contracts.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
To be fair, this is what you claimed:

You were asked to provide proof and you had none. Here is the exact quote from Craig Anderson that many reference when discussing the supposed locker room drama:

“My only comment on that is that I’m too old for drama and I don’t want anything to do with drama. Hopefully, we’ve resolved all that. Ottawa. I’ve been there for eight years now, and that’s my home. I’ve got no interest in going anywhere else as long as we can clean up what was going on this summer.”

"Clean-up what was going on this summer"
seems more likely to be a quote directed at the organization that Garrioch carefully worded to imply he was talking about Karlsson. If the drama was in the locker room, why would Anderson reference "the summer"? Were they playing hockey in the summer? The drama in the summer he speaks of had nothing to do with Karlsson and much more to do with the multiple missteps taken by the organization last summer.

Do you or anyone else need to be reminded about who or what cause drama last summer?

Goalie Craig Anderson says he’s ‘too old for drama’ with Senators

At no point in this article does Craig Anderson point his finger at Karlsson, even stating that he didn't even know anything was going on.

There was also O’Sullivan, the two media guys at the draft, Burrows, Hoffman’s explanation, cryptic quotes from both Stone and Duchene.... this list goes on.

And yes, I should have said openly feuding with ‘a player’ in the locker room.

Look, as I have said a millions times over, if there were this many direct comments, and indirect comments about PD, EM, Ceci, Boro, or anyone else that the group in here dislikes it would have already been decided as fact that they were the problem. In fact we all know that it would take far less smoke and no flames to get that done.

Ignore it all if you wish, it matters not, and the player has been traded regardless. When you have a locker room issue, especially he said she said open hostilities, and your captain is a lead participant, then yes there is a big problem.

Anyways, this all started because some dude claimed that the issues that season were all PD and GB, which made me laugh given everything we have heard about the locker room that year.

Onward and upwards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad