Why is it taking so long to extend Chabot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's obviously all speculation, but I think you're wrong on this. If you listen to his radio interview with Bob McCown from awhile back, the way he speaks about hockeys ops is unlike any other owner I've ever heard (outside of maybe Jerry Jones, and we know how involved he is). Discussing exactly what pieces are required to build a cup contending team, how many "future NHL star" prospects we currently have sitting in Belleville, exactly how many picks we have in the coming drafts etc.

He may be more hands off now that the teardown is completed, but I think he was heavily involved during that process, and will continue to be involved when we start having to put pen to paper for our young guys. Even just anecdotally, I heard someone that worked in the org said "You can't order a box of pens without Eugene having a say in it". He's just that type of guy. If he wasn't, he'd be hiring qualified staff and letting them do their thing.

I've worked for a CEO exactly like Eugene in a smallish company. They think they know and can do everything themselves, therefore hiring people to do it for them is a waste of cash. The company is a steadily sinking ship because of it (like the Sens).
Eugene Melnyk was widely known to be very hands on with the St. Mike's Majors when he owned them. Is there any evidence to suggest that changed with the Sens?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Zibanejad imo resolved his commitment to the game issues once he landed in NY. who knows, maybe it was a difference in veteran leadership...something made him see things differently. His game took off. Brassard's game on the other hand collapsed. In hindsight we definitely got hosed on that deal. At the time, brassard was the better player.

Brassard wasnt the better player. He was just older and had a cheap contract.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

He was nicknamed brassgod in NY and came up big in the playoffs I don't like the move but it's clear Dorion did not value Zibanejad very high.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
An interesting part of the Zibanejad/Brassard trade was when Gorton made his presser after the trade.

He said right away, Our team got better and younger today. He was right. Zibanejad was better than Brassard, and they managed to get a pick. This is not something Gorton had to say, the trade was easily justifiable for NYR point of view as the price paid by the Sens was excessive, but he still made the comment. He knew full well the trade was a win from day 1 without the pick.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
He was nicknamed brassgod in NY and came up big in the playoffs I don't like the move but it's clear Dorion did not value Zibanejad very high.

Which should make everyone doubt Dorion’s ability to evaluate pro level players. You don’t replace a 23 year old, 6’2 215 pound centre who had just put up 50 points for an older, smaller center.

It made no sense at the time, and it looks worse in hindsight.

It’d be like us trading White now for someone like JT Miller.

Miller is probably a bit better and more polished now, but it’d be awful asset management.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

And that itself was odd, as the Ranger fans were pretty lukewarm with the guy before the playoff heroics.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Z-bad has had one good year with the Rangers - not great, but good - this past season, and on a non-playoff team. Let's see him do it again before we put him in the Hall of Fame...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Z-bad has had one good year with the Rangers - not great, but good - this past season, and on a non-playoff team. Let's see him do it again before we put him in the Hall of Fame...
He is going to have a monster season playing with Panarin and Kaako. Probably not Hall of Fame worthy, but he is going to explode this year.

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Alfredsson went to Detroit and put up 49 points in 68 games. He would have been our 4th highest scoring forward, and our replacement for him, Bobby Ryan, put up just 1 less point.

We also had 6-7 million in cap space that season, even after bringing in MacArthur and Ryan.

Signing Alfredsson do a multi-year deal would have been dumb. Most owners would have given him $6 million for one season to retire as the best player in franchise history, and keep their fanbase happy.

In hindsight, it also likely would have prevented us from acquiring Ryan and signing him to that anchor contract... but hindsight is 20/20.

I recall that media said Alfredsson was asking for a 2 year deal at about $7M annually. No sense in giving him a $14M cheque at that time.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

We did not get any good seasons out of Brassard. The Z2-B trade was a disaster.

Reactions: DrEasy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He is going to have a monster season playing with Panarin and Kaako. Probably not Hall of Fame worthy, but he is going to explode this year.

I was being a touch sarcastic about the Hall of Fame. :) I would caution anyone, though, to take reports of who is playing with who with a grain of salt. The history of August line combos lasting through the season is not a very good one. This time last year we all thought that Filip Zadina was going to light it up at Red Wings camp...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
C’mon! He is also going to have 4 top ten radio hits with Miley Cyrus.

;)

We’ll see if Zibanejad can repeat. I think he is going to stay level.
He'd easily be our best C .. even if he leveled off. I think he continues to improve. He has lots of skill and point producers around him.. If his play remains the same his point totals should still increase.

Reactions: Cosmix

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He'd easily be our best C .. even if he leveled off. I think he continues to improve. He has lots of skill and point producers around him.. If his play remains the same his point totals should still increase.

With Panarin and Kakko he could put up 100 pts.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Chabot has zero incentive to sign for less than market value and will wait for an offer sheet.

The Sens have shown no ability or desire to pay current market value to their stars.

Chabot is gone after this season when this pattern continues.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

If you just looked at HockeyDB at the time the trade was made, you might have convinced yourself that Brassard was the better player. He had just come off seasons of 60 and 58 pts.

I sure hope that Dorion and the rest of the staff aren't that dumb; that they had watched Brassard play enough to realize he topped out as an okay 2nd line center, and also that they realized that at his age and the miles on his body that he was about to decline.

That is, I hope they just completely misjudged Zibanejad's future -- thought he'd never be anything better than a soft, somewhat lazy 50 pt player, and decided to get him out of the organization sooner rather than later.

Somehow I'd rather just believe they misjudged Zibanejad the person, rather than looked at a couple season point totals and convinced themselves they were really improving the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad