Why is it taking so long to extend Chabot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This is all pretty obvious is it not? There's really no question whether or not the Sens should sign Chabot to essentially any contract he wants, is there? The question is and will remain, can/will they?

Sure, but then once you mention wondering if they will, there’s nothing really left but to wait and see is there?

Hand wringing about it sadly doesn’t make a difference.

On a more interesting side note, I actually appreciate how Management has conducted all of the contract negotiations and trades in a water tight fashion. Gone are the days were BM would negotiate in the media, and seemingly everything was leaked to the press.

Easier to do when there are so few mouths, but even the corresponding agents aren’t dropping dimes. I like it. It seems far more professional, and respectful to the process.

Now before I get jumped on, I’m not going to get into a debate about he quality of the contracts and trades, just that everything seems to be being handled behind closed doors.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Sure, but then once you mention wondering if they will, there’s nothing really left but to wait and see is there?

Hand wringing about it sadly doesn’t make a difference.

On a more interesting side note, I actually appreciate how Management has conducted all of the contract negotiations and trades in a water tight fashion. Gone are the days were BM would negotiate in the media, and seemingly everything was leaked to the press.

Easier to do when there are so few mouths, but even the corresponding agents aren’t dropping dimes. I like it. It seems far more professional, and respectful to the process.

Now before I get jumped on, I’m not going to get into a debate about he quality of the contracts and trades, just that everything seems to be being handled behind closed doors.

Not really sure what you're referring to specifically with BM, but to suggest things are being handled 'more professionally' now than when we had one of the most universally respected men in all of hockey running the show seems a bit silly to me.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You know, if he keeps it up until next summer , then you sign him up for the 10 at 8 and enjoy watching him play until he turns 30.

We know that dollar amount, or close, was in the table for the three UFAs so I don’t see it as being a problem when locking up a guy through his entire prime.

There will be bonus money, but on an 8 year RFA contract I don’t think it will be as big a deal as it has been for the top tier UFAs lately. They don’t have all of the leverage, there is no competition, and they are getting a lot of job security for a young man with only a few years of NHL play. It seems to make so much more sense than the constantly ratcheting up salaries players are getting, while their effectiveness in the ice typically starts to diminish.

I definitely prefer this turn in salary payouts. The other thing to consider is that if the bonus, and perhaps ltir, loopholes are closed in the new CBA, perhaps the team will be more amenable to ‘biting the bullet’ on having a single large bonus structure contract. And at least it would be the right player getting it, if there was only to be one.

Anyways, interesting times for sure.
It's not a UFA thing anymore, high tier RFA's are getting huge bonus sums now, they will just
compare to the other high tier RFA's contracts signed in the past few years.

Matthews got 94% of his 58 million RFA contract paid in bonuses
Aho got 90% of his 42 million RFA contract paid in bonuses
Marner will be getting 90% of his RFA contract paid in bonuses
Ekblad got 48% of his 60 million RFA contract paid in bonuses
Point, McAvoy, Provorov, Werenski will be getting huge signing bonuses

Even Timo Meier got 40% of his 24 million RFA contract paid in bonuses as a lower tier RFA.

It's the new high tier RFA landscape, of which Chabot is clearly apart of, where it is going to be demanded, and have many comparable guys to prove his worth.

Bonuses are the problem, not so much the aav (though it's still a problem imo) as he's going to command huge signing bonuses based on his tier of comparables. We know through the Aho and Point offersheets that his camp can, and will, just say they will get big bonuses by siging an offersheet.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
You know, if he keeps it up until next summer , then you sign him up for the 10 at 8 and enjoy watching him play until he turns 30.

We know that dollar amount, or close, was in the table for the three UFAs so I don’t see it as being a problem when locking up a guy through his entire prime.

There will be bonus money, but on an 8 year RFA contract I don’t think it will be as big a deal as it has been for the top tier UFAs lately. They don’t have all of the leverage, there is no competition, and they are getting a lot of job security for a young man with only a few years of NHL play. It seems to make so much more sense than the constantly ratcheting up salaries players are getting, while their effectiveness in the ice typically starts to diminish.

I definitely prefer this turn in salary payouts. The other thing to consider is that if the bonus, and perhaps ltir, loopholes are closed in the new CBA, perhaps the team will be more amenable to ‘biting the bullet’ on having a single large bonus structure contract. And at least it would be the right player getting it, if there was only to be one.

Anyways, interesting times for sure.
I wish there was some kind of precedent we could look to relevant to our team when we talk about a star defender that had very consistent performance for a long time needing a contract...

"Sign him up for the 10 at 8" seems like a gross over-simplification and you should know this.

Reactions: Rand0m

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
That's ****ing terrifying. Chabot is the best of the current young crop of D by a pretty wide margin. If one of these GM's caves and signs a really high bar-setting contract, we're in trubs.
Chabot isn't better than Karlsson was at the same age, Karlsson got 10.11% of the salary cap, that is $8.2M for the current cap.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This thread is going in circles and has run it's course.

There is lots of time left and little incentive for Chabot to rush things, until we get a story from the media to bite down on i don't sew why will still need this thread, nobody has added anything new in terms talking points for a while now.

Locking this up before it goes completely off the rails. You can discuss whether the team deserves any benefit of the doubt in the ottawa sens are pro sports biggest mess thread.

News Article: - Bullying and backstabbing: the Ottawa Senators are pro sport's biggest mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad