WC: Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when...

• Thread starter OttawaRoughRiderFan*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Another quality thread by KevyD lol

If you really don't care, then stop talking about it. Personally, I was quite amused when France beat us today. That's good for them and hopefully a wakeup call for our team. I was more upset than I thought I'd be last year when we flamed out in the QF's AGAIN.

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki
Ah it's that time of the year again. :D
I will say though that I don't care the least about WHC this year. Haven't watched game yet and have no plans to watch any.

Olympics, some F1, ending of Premier League, La League, Champions League and World Cup lasting a month starting next months ensures that I'm saturated for sports this year as it is.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Well, most europeans don't care about the WJC at all. I mean, we do, because we are dedicated to hockey, hence we're on this forum, but it's not like it's something the whole continent is looking forward to.

The WHC on the other hand..
I have some friends that ask me out of the blue "did you watch that game last night?" because hey, its a world championship after all, and as europeans, we just love to see a our nation competing against another.
It isn't a tournament where people gather around, have a bbq and watch it on a really big screen (like the football/soccer - World Cup for example, but that's nothing you could say anything about canada :sarcasm: ) but if people see it's on they watch it, and just like what they see.

Our leagues are done for this year, so why don't we just extend our "hockey time" by watching a tournament which is depth vs. depth, those players get paid with real money too ;)

It's okay if you don't care, we do, but it's funny how some canadians insist on not caring by expressing it all over this forum instead of just, well, not caring. ;)

To those who do care: You gotta step up guys, it's still a roster of high-paid NHLers :)

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I don't understand how someone could care less about this than a junior tournament. And I really don't get what makes the under 20s so special in comparison to the U18s and U16s.

Personally I love the world championship because it's the largest international tournament and you get to see some different players play for their country.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
not all are like you....

and for the love of god.

stanley cup, our own league, olympics, junior world championship and even world cup is also bigger for euros than this world championship...for exemple here in sweden its hated, people are calling it a c-tournament. but some people ofcourse still cares,,,,its hockey. nations against nations. its funny see some smaller nations, younger players and some players that will never make it to the olympics, for these players, this is their olympics.

and yes, its not best on best, its more like depth vs depth...who is best...team canada c or sweden team c?

its funny hockey, all 4 games today was funny.
:laugh: speak for finns or swedes
when threre's no olympics wc is on the first spot in your list

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
This is nothing against the World Championships. It is a fine tournament, fun and important to Europeans but...

Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when we say we really don't care how Canada does at the World Championships? If we won, that would be great and I would be proud but if we finished last, me and 99% of Canadian hockey fans would not think twice about it.

However, Europeans believe we care. They believe we sweat the losses and worry how it reflects on Hockey Canada. For the record, we don't. Even I, someone who obsesses about all things Canadian hockey, don't care at all.

I believe most American fans feel the same way.

So... why don't Europeans believe us?

Yeah, so you don't care at all about losing to France, right?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I doubt I'll wake up to watch the Round Robin probably watch the Semis and Finals but really this isn't that important to me, it isn't best on best. If we win great, if not well then that's whatever it isn't best on best anyways.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
most Canadians care about the wc because it's hockey but we don't care anywhere near the level of the Olympics or world juniors.

But we know that. And it's totally fine.

And I still continue to care for the WC despite reading from Canadians every year again and again how much of a 3rd rate tournament it is and how the greatest and biggest and best hockey nation with the most knowledgable fans in the world don't take it seriously.

And I still think it's a great tournament. And I still care. Despite you not caring. Because your opionion is not that important to me at all.

Deal with it!

Tuff Gong

Nov 6, 2005
Kelowna
I'm Canadian and a hockey nut, and I didn't realize the tournament was on until I turned on TSN yesterday morning and saw France/Canada game.
I'm not even sure when the next game is.

Zero buzz about it, just like every year, to me it feels like what the Olympics would be like if they nixed NHL players.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
This is nothing against the World Championships. It is a fine tournament, fun and important to Europeans but...

Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when we say we really don't care how Canada does at the World Championships?

Speak for yourself. Although, in another thread, I asserted that I, and most other Canucks IMO, are lukewarm about this WC tourney, that doesn't mean that I'm particularly happy when Canada loses, MUCH LESS when we lose to a Minnow like France! ...sorry French nats, no disrespect intended, but its truly embarrassing!

Once again HC ( and many people, me included, saw this coming pre-tourney ) has egg on its face at WC. Losing with a young scrappy team, showcasing future A team mainstays, like McK, to another top 5 opponent ( in what is clearly a Euro tourney ) is one thing,

Yesterday's PERFORMANCE (???) Is QUITE ANOTHER=UTTERLY UNACCEPTABLE!

END RANT

Last edited:

Tyler Biggs*

This will never be a true 'Best On Best' tourney. However, I can assure you that HC and fans around the world take it seriously as well as international hockey fans in Div I, II and III countries take those championships seriously. If you are a hockey fan scout the mismatches, enjoy some great games and watch 25 Canadians give a WHOLE-HEARTED EFFORT!

Tyler Biggs*

I'm actually a huge fan of this tournament, and it speaks volumes to the heart of the players that are in it. Most of them didn't make the Olympic team, and none of them are in the playoffs...but they rather play than walk away from it. I'll be cheering these guys on!

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Agree with other posters here that you should speak for yourself if you don't care, which with all due respect I find hard to believe if you're a Canadian hockey fan, of any sort. You may not care 'as much' as the Olympics or World cup which is a true best on best, but make not mistake, any Canadian hockey fan will care if Canada plays poorly in 'any' hockey tournament.
Now if you were talking about the Spengler cup tournament maybe you have a case :laugh:, but in my opinion so would all other countries hockey fans as I have never followed that tournament and in all honesty don't even know what its about. I think that is a true 'C' or 'D' level tournament.
But this tournament still has enough NHL players there that it will garner enough attention and expectations from Canadian hockey fans that Canada should stop blowing year in and year out.

Striderr*

Feb 20, 2014
That you guys don't care is one thing. Swedes don't really care about this competition as well but we're not so insecure to come here and undermine the whole tournament. What you make it sound like is that "Canada don't care" Including the players and coaches for the national team too so that all the losses that you guys have in the world championship competitions means nothing - that's what you're telling yourself.

All the time you hear and see the polls of . Would Canada D team take gold? Maybe even E? Then when these tournament starts you are crying like babies because Sidney Crosby and whatnot is not in the team.

Tell me is there even an achievement in beating other teams when fielding best on best? I mean that's what you should do. After all, You have ten times more player than basically any other country other than those greasy americans . You don't see Spain pounding their chest after a victory over Finland in Soccer do you ?

Then i read this thread and i see - World junior championship means everything to us. It has more TV viewers than Olympics or somehting in those lines , don't remember (It was yesterday) And you know what? After getting your ass handed this year in WJC then you came up with excuses too. He was not participating. He was not, he was not.. And - It's fine becuase this year is olympics and this year this competition does not matter so much for me. And and and. You could come up with a million things.

- You're not as good as you should be. That's all i have to say.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
Another quality thread by KevyD. Meaning of this tournament is not defined by those (players or spectators) who don't care. We have this tournament because many fans care, even though the tournament has its flaws.

Canadians have right to not care. I can watch NHL games next day after work because I don't have to worry about being spoiled by NHL game results, as nobody at work (90% male) talks about it. Nobody doesn't seem to talk about it at lunch restaurants or elsewhere either. Almost nobody cares. That's in Finland.

The point is that only tiny amount of Europeans care about NHL playoffs, but we still don't make a thread there that most hockey fans in Europe couldn't care less about NHL playoffs. It just does not make sense. Meaning of NHL playoffs doesn't depend on those who don't care. Same applies to WHC.

Last edited:

Roundhead

Apr 26, 2007
Toronto
I was raised on both sides of the Atlantic. I came to Canada when I was 11 (during a Canada Cup in the 80s) thinking Canada wasn't very good at hockey (which I called "ice hockey") because they didn't do well at the World Championships. I was then informed by my Canadian relatives that the best players aren't at that tournament unless they are from the Soviet Bloc. They were stunned that I assumed the best players were present and I was stunned that North Americans didn't care about "internationals" (as they are known in football/soccer). This is a cultural thing. North Americans aren't anywhere near as interested in country versus country international sporting events as the rest of the world as their sports didn't become international until long after they'd already established their traditional competitions.

Most Canadians see the World Championships as a bonus to the playoffs. But unlike in Europe where we watch all teams in a football or rugby World Cup the vast majority of Canadians only watch Canada's games. North Americans are just not internationally oriented (orientated, if you're British) as Europeans.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
In the unlikely event that Canadians actually don't care about the WC's, why is it important to Canadians for Europeans to understand that you really don't care about it, and why would Europeans really care whether you liked it or not?

This is a seemingly familiar bail-out thread. If your team tanks, then it gives you cover to bail out on your team. If you end up winning, which could certainly happen, then it will be "We sent only our Grade D guys over, we could care less about the tournament, most of the guys were drugged and drunk on the ice because they didn't care about representing Canada, and we still managed to prove world supremacy. We are so beautiful when we look at ourselves in the mirror!!" We've seen this whole thing before.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Overall, the future health of international hockey seems scary based on whats being shown here. When you have whole groups of people declaring they don't care about this tournament or that tournament, what does that say?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Overall, the future health of international hockey seems scary based on whats being shown here. When you have whole groups of people declaring they don't care about this tournament or that tournament, what does that say?

It means that they care enough to make an effort to reach out to the entire hockey world and tell them that they just don't care.

BloodOnIce

Dec 10, 2006
Canada
I care and I'll always watch and cheer Canada on at the WC's, but I won't lose sleep over Canada not performing well at it. The World Championships is not the Olympics, the Canada/World Cup or any sort of legitimate metric for a nation's hockey prowess... despite the IIHF's (any I guess many people on HF Boards) desperate attempt to do so.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I'm Canadian and I care.

Lots of people care.Maybe its not the same as the Stanley Cup or the Olympics, but its still hockey and we still care.

Nothing more tiresome than Canadian fans coning on after a loss and insisting they dont care. Not just saying they dont care, but reiterating again and again just how much they dont care.Even worse-why dont you believe me when I tell you I dont care. I dont care I tell you, you must believe me , I dont care!

Well if you dont care why are you here posting in every thread about how much you dont care.Why aren't you out doing something you do care about?

Its embarrassing, it just sounds like sour grapes and makes Canadians look like sore losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad