WC: Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when...

• Thread starter OttawaRoughRiderFan*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

This is nothing against the World Championships. It is a fine tournament, fun and important to Europeans but...

Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when we say we really don't care how Canada does at the World Championships? If we won, that would be great and I would be proud but if we finished last, me and 99% of Canadian hockey fans would not think twice about it.

However, Europeans believe we care. They believe we sweat the losses and worry how it reflects on Hockey Canada. For the record, we don't. Even I, someone who obsesses about all things Canadian hockey, don't care at all.

I believe most American fans feel the same way.

So... why don't Europeans believe us?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It might or might not be because you guys create a gazillion of threads to express how much you don't care about the WC instead of actually NOT CARING about it?

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Canadians who don't care post the same every year on this site and on TSN, that they don't care, yet fill the threads with posts about how bad the team and players are. Canadians have been saying that for the last 25 years. If you don't care, don't follow, don't cheer. I'm Canadian, and I care. I cheered and love our 'weak' scrubs who won in 2007.

So much for not caring. :laugh:

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Ofcourse we care, its hockey. We don't put too much emphasis on it but theres still tuns of people watching and keeping on track with how Canada does. Maybe you don't care but theres a lot of canadians that do.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Its not a best on best tournament, more dependent on what players from what countries are available.

That's why I don't get excited about it

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I'd rather use this is a developmental type tournament and send a bunch of guys who are early in their careers and try and see who can step up, take leadership roles, etc.

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
For the same reason Canadians don't belive that Howe/Orr/Gretzky/Lemieux aren't globaly considered as 4 greatest hockey players ever and Stanley cup isn't the ultimate trophy for everyone

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I care, sounds like ur just making excuses.

I think you are the exception, not the rule.

Ofcourse we care, its hockey. We don't put too much emphasis on it but theres still tuns of people watching and keeping on track with how Canada does. Maybe you don't care but theres a lot of canadians that do.

I don't believe that is the case. Proof...

If I asked 99% of the Canadian hockey fans on this site how Canada did at the last 5 Olympics and World Cups, they could tell me....

Wow in 2002 at the Olympics
Won at the World Cup in 2004
Lost in 2006 - Finished 7th
Won in 2010
Won in 2014

Most would remember where they were when they plated their final game.

However, if I were to ask those same fans how Canada did at the last 5 World Championships, I doubt anyone could tell me without looking it up. Most couldn't tell me anything about the tournament - where it was played, how Canada did, who played on the team, etc...

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
not all are like you....

and for the love of god.

stanley cup, our own league, olympics, junior world championship and even world cup is also bigger for euros than this world championship...for exemple here in sweden its hated, people are calling it a c-tournament. but some people ofcourse still cares,,,,its hockey. nations against nations. its funny see some smaller nations, younger players and some players that will never make it to the olympics, for these players, this is their olympics.

and yes, its not best on best, its more like depth vs depth...who is best...team canada c or sweden team c?

its funny hockey, all 4 games today was funny.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
This is nothing against the World Championships. It is a fine tournament, fun and important to Europeans but...

Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when we say we really don't care how Canada does at the World Championships? If we won, that would be great and I would be proud but if we finished last, me and 99% of Canadian hockey fans would not think twice about it.

However, Europeans believe we care. They believe we sweat the losses and worry how it reflects on Hockey Canada. For the record, we don't. Even I, someone who obsesses about all things Canadian hockey, don't care at all.

Does not compute.

If I wasnt as lazy I am I would find a picture of the smallest possible violin... obviously you care enough to make a post to excuse why you dont care. That is fine.. some care, some dont.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'd rather use this is a developmental type tournament and send a bunch of guys who are early in their careers and try and see who can step up, take leadership roles, etc.

i like it as it is. most the players going will never make a real team canada and many of them never got a chance to play for juniors so this is it when it comes to suiting up for canada.

Reaganomics

Apr 13, 2013
Uppsala
Why are Canadians so obsessed with telling Europeans that they don't care about the WHC? Same thing every year I don't get it. Someone care to enlighten me?

While were on the "caring" note I gotta say this is the least excited I've been for the WHC in a long time. Probably because it's an Olympic year.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

It might or might not be because you guys create a gazillion of threads to express how much you don't care about the WC instead of actually NOT CARING about it?

The only reason I started this thread was because of how little Canadians care contrary to what I read from Europeans posters.

Hockey was born in Canada, you do care and you know it.

I am being honest and sincere.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Why are Canadians so obsessed with telling Europeans that they don't care about the WHC? Same thing every year I don't get it. Someone care to enlighten me?

Canadians might watch a game because nothing else is on. But, if we lose, we just brush it off. It truly means nothing to us. Then we read posts on how much we care and it's hard not to respond.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

:facepalm:

I think it's because most people who claim to not care spend an awful lot of time griping and making comments, considering they don't care.

Again, I am being honest...

If Canada were to have lost at the Olympics, it would have felt like I was kicked in the stomach. When we lose at the WJR's, I feel the same way.

Today we lost to France and I was happy for France.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I believe you don't care about it if you say so. I don't believe you when you say Canada doesn't care about it, because it's not true. Every year a great number of Canadians travel across the world or stay up in the middle of the night to see this tournament. Even though it's not a massive thing there, some people do care about it.

Reaganomics

Apr 13, 2013
Uppsala
Canadians might watch a game because nothing else is on. But, if we lose, we just brush it off. It truly means nothing to us. Then we read posts on how much we care and it's hard not to respond.

Why would that bother you? I truly don't understand why someone would go through this trouble if they didn't care. Also I don't understand why you would take time off your day to read threads on a hockey section dedicated to the WHC if you didn't care for the WHC. But maybe that's just me.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
i like it as it is. most the players going will never make a real team canada and many of them never got a chance to play for juniors so this is it when it comes to suiting up for canada.

Actually, 13 out of 23 players on Canada's roster have played for Canada at the WJC at least once. For some other teams it's even more. 19 out of 23 players on the Slovak roster have played at the WJC at least once, 14 out of 21 for the Czechs.

Why am I saying this? Because a) you guys seem to care about the WJC a whole lot and are always trying to convince us that it is better/more important than the IHWC and b) because I doubt that there are too many players who got worse than they were during their juniors days at the WJC.

Cruor

May 12, 2012

Because I remember how giddy you were to win back to back WCH's in the early 00's. That reinforced the notion of Canada as the superior hockey nation, now when you've crashed and burned for 10 years it's a C-tournament with little to no value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille