WC: Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when...

• Thread starter OttawaRoughRiderFan*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The whole '<insert country> doesn't care' thing is kind of a misnomer. The people who talk about this sort of thing on a message board are typically the ones that 'care', but we only represent a very minor portion of the population. I mean everyone on here loves the WJC's, and TSN likes to portray it (in their best interest) as a huge Canadian event, but even on my beer league teams barely anyone knows its even going on.

Realistically in Canada there are only two hockey events that the general population 'cares' about. When your team is playing in the playoffs, and Olympic hockey. That's it. For our fellow hockey playing European countries I'd imagine you would narrow that down to just Olympic hockey. Again I'm not talking about people who go out of their way to post on hockey message boards, but just the general public.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I mean everyone on here loves the WJC's, and TSN likes to portray it (in their best interest) as a huge Canadian event, but even on my beer league teams barely anyone knows its even going on.

I disagree and the TV rating tell otherwise. There are Gold Medal WJR games that have been some of the highest rated TV shows in Canadian history. If you don't believe me, check out the numbers for the 2011 Gold Medal game.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Why are Canadians so obsessed with telling Europeans that they don't care about the WHC? Same thing every year I don't get it. Someone care to enlighten me?

While were on the "caring" note I gotta say this is the least excited I've been for the WHC in a long time. Probably because it's an Olympic year.

Yeah the Olympic year is always a downer. That being said I'm one Canadian cares and will watch with interest. Go Canada Go

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
What an odd thread.

a) I don't remember seeing a whole lot 'Europeans' believe that Canadians care a lot about this tournament, which makes the whole point of this thread redundant.

b) the reason why some people may occasionally comment on this matter, may have something to do with the very people who claim they 'really don't care' coming out of the woods for this tournament pretty much every single year to plaster the whole forum with comments about how little they care. People who don't care about something don't spend so much time talking about it.

The tournament has a solid fanbase in Canada, it's not a huge event, but not seen as an unimportant tournament either. I really don't understand why some people believe they have to go around and talk about how irrelevant something is and how little they care about it, when the very act of constantly talking about it kind of contradicts these points. It's not like there is a whole lot of Europeans who have to be 'enlightened'. People who care about these tournament couldn't care less whether you care, they just don't want to be constantly bothered by people who can't seem to stop talking about how little they care, hence them getting involved in discussions that follow such a topic.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
What I really can' t believe is how much Canadians care about a junior tournament^^

I don't care about how many Canadians care about the WHC, I root for Canada.

Junior hockey is great. Top players, playing as hard as they can with unpredictable errors and plays.

They skate hard and give 110%. What's not to like.

1rd

¡Hala Madrid!
Jun 16, 2011
If you didn't care about WC, you wouldn't be here posting about it over and over and over again.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This is nothing against the World Championships. It is a fine tournament, fun and important to Europeans but...

Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when we say we really don't care how Canada does at the World Championships? If we won, that would be great and I would be proud but if we finished last, me and 99% of Canadian hockey fans would not think twice about it.

However, Europeans believe we care. They believe we sweat the losses and worry how it reflects on Hockey Canada. For the record, we don't. Even I, someone who obsesses about all things Canadian hockey, don't care at all.

I believe most American fans feel the same way.

So... why don't Europeans believe us?

They do not want to believe us because it makes them happy to see Canada lose against teams like France. Who cares if they do not believe us. The whole continent of North America does not care about the WHC. Everyone knows that. It is good hockey, but it is not a best on best tournament. The Olympics were what everyone cares about.
I do not care if Canada loses every game but want to see how some of the young guys perform. It is exciting hockey on the big ice, but the results do not matter to me. They should rename this the European Hockey Championship. The real world champions are the Olympic winners every 4 years.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I think its mostly because people have to hear Canadians go on about how great they are, just in case anyone forgot that Canada is good at hockey. But somehow the WCs don't count because they're not the Olympics or something. It comes off as excuses for not winning. Especially considering the passion that built up around the WJCs when Canada was dominating for so long. Whether or not that's fair, that's the optics of it.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I'm Canadian and I like the WHC's. I hate when one person tries to pass their opinion as the consensus of a broader populace, especially an entire country. It's hockey, I'm Canadian, therefore I will watch. I also follow European hockey, so I look forward to getting the chance to see some of the stars of the Euro leagues play.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I think its mostly because people have to hear Canadians go on about how great they are, just in case anyone forgot that Canada is good at hockey. But somehow the WCs don't count because they're not the Olympics or something. It comes off as excuses for not winning. Especially considering the passion that built up around the WJCs when Canada was dominating for so long. Whether or not that's fair, that's the optics of it.

Yet, Canadians are still passionate about the World Juniors despite not winning Gold in five years. So winning is irrelevant when it comes to the popularity of the WHC.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
To put into perspective we finns have 5 Sochi olympics players playing in this tournament. Its not just Canada thats missing solid players but theyre the only country complaining about it. Rest of the world is not stupid if you have 5/25 of your best players in the tournament everyone understands its not best on best but its still interesting tournament. And you getto see worlds top end players like Pekka Rinne who could fit into any Canadas olympic team anyday but might not into Finlands top3. World Cup/Stanley Cup/Olympics are more valuable ofcourse and junior level tournaments are different matter but this is still great tournament.

Well according to the IIHF the World Championships is just as important as the Olympics.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You're stating in the OP that you would care (be proud is a damn sure sign of caring) if Canada won.

Why would you care about winning a second rate tournament that doesn't matter at all when you lose?

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
It might or might not be because you guys create a gazillion of threads to express how much you don't care about the WC instead of actually NOT CARING about it?

And it took exactly one post to get to the root of the 'issue'.

What an odd thread.

a) I don't remember seeing a whole lot 'Europeans' believe that Canadians care a lot about this tournament, which makes the whole point of this thread redundant.

b) the reason why some people may occasionally comment on this matter, may have something to do with the very people who claim they 'really don't care' coming out of the woods for this tournament pretty much every single year to plaster the whole forum with comments about how little they care. People who don't care about something don't spend so much time talking about it.

The tournament has a solid fanbase in Canada, it's not a huge event, but not seen as an unimportant tournament either. I really don't understand why some people believe they have to go around and talk about how irrelevant something is and how little they care about it, when the very act of constantly talking about it kind of contradicts these points. It's not like there is a whole lot of Europeans who have to be 'enlightened'. People who care about these tournament couldn't care less whether you care, they just don't want to be constantly bothered by people who can't seem to stop talking about how little they care, hence them getting involved in discussions that follow such a topic.

...and this does a nice job of expanding on the first post.

The whole '<insert country> doesn't care' thing is kind of a misnomer. The people who talk about this sort of thing on a message board are typically the ones that 'care', but we only represent a very minor portion of the population. I mean everyone on here loves the WJC's, and TSN likes to portray it (in their best interest) as a huge Canadian event, but even on my beer league teams barely anyone knows its even going on.

Ya people overstate the popularity of hockey in Canada and the global popularity of sports in general. Every week HNIC averages about 2 million viewers which is impressive, but it still means about 33 million Canadians have something better to do on a Saturday evening. I believe the 2010 Olympic final averaged 'only' 16 million viewers meaning for most of the game less than half the country could be bothered to watch Canada's 'moon landing'. People who think everyone in Canada is a hockey fan probably also think a couple of months from now 2+ billion people will tune into watch the World Cup final.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
We already know, that you don't care about this tournament, KevyD. You don't have to broadcast it every freaking year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You know who doesn't care, that's the US. That's the depiction of what a country does when they don't care. The tournament is still front page news in Canada. I believe y'all when you say it's not one of the big ones, it's not critical to win this one. But you still care.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

They do not want to believe us because it makes them happy to see Canada lose against teams like France. Who cares if they do not believe us. The whole continent of North America does not care about the WHC. Everyone knows that. It is good hockey, but it is not a best on best tournament. The Olympics were what everyone cares about.
I do not care if Canada loses every game but want to see how some of the young guys perform. It is exciting hockey on the big ice, but the results do not matter to me. They should rename this the European Hockey Championship. The real world champions are the Olympic winners every 4 years.

Amen, brother.

You're stating in the OP that you would care (be proud is a damn sure sign of caring) if Canada won.

Why would you care about winning a second rate tournament that doesn't matter at all when you lose?

If Canadian women won the World Cup of Badminton I would be proud but still not care.

You know who doesn't care, that's the US. That's the depiction of what a country does when they don't care. The tournament is still front page news in Canada. I believe y'all when you say it's not one of the big ones, it's not critical to win this one. But you still care.

Sentences 3 and 5 are not true.

Well according to the IIHF the World Championships is just as important as the Olympics.

They're so naïve and self important.

Junior hockey is great. Top players, playing as hard as they can with unpredictable errors and plays.

They skate hard and give 110%. What's not to like.

Yup. :)

If you didn't care about WC, you wouldn't be here posting about it over and over and over again.

I would if there was a perception about Canada that was inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator:

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
why would u care about a tournament that doesnt even involve the world's best lol

That is such a pathetic argument. Should every league that isn't the NHL fold? Should nobody in Europe watch domestic soccer because they're not the Premier League? I could go on for hours with examples of how ridiculous that kind of thinking is. The "best" of whatever it is doesn't exist in a vacuum you know. And obviously it's a blatant lie that Canadians doesn't care about the World Championship. Every year we go through this, you air the games on TV, you watch the games, you comment on them. You care. Get over yourselves.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
This is nothing against the World Championships. It is a fine tournament, fun and important to Europeans but...

Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when we say we really don't care how Canada does at the World Championships? If we won, that would be great and I would be proud but if we finished last, me and 99% of Canadian hockey fans would not think twice about it.

However, Europeans believe we care. They believe we sweat the losses and worry how it reflects on Hockey Canada. For the record, we don't. Even I, someone who obsesses about all things Canadian hockey, don't care at all.

I believe most American fans feel the same way.

So... why don't Europeans believe us?

With Canadas depth you can easily field a top end team much easier than any european nation. You dont care? It seems to me you are teaching your youth to be losers and its starting to show. Did you stop caring about WHJC too? Just curious, cuz when you get your ***** kicked by inferior teams you are so fast to say... "We dont care".

Why dont you stop having this show downs for the Canadian army, navy and whatever, you dont care. You lack any sense of national pride and will to be a winner in a sport that defines your nation. Its your choice, its your character.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
I think those Canadian posters who truly don't care aren't here posting about how they don't care.

I don't care about KHL -> I don't post to KHL forums.
I care about Stanley Cup -> I post to Stanley Cup playoffs forum
I don't care about horses -> I don't post to horse forums.

I see a pattern emerging here.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think those Canadian posters who truly don't care aren't here posting about how they don't care.

I don't care about KHL -> I don't post to KHL forums.
I care about Stanley Cup -> I post to Stanley Cup playoffs forum
I don't care about horses -> I don't post to horse forums.

I see a pattern emerging here.

It was a hockey game on a Friday morning - I am off work today. Of course I watched. I just don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA