WC: Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when...

• Thread starter OttawaRoughRiderFan*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
because it shows that Canada's depth isn't as great as claimed when during olympic time some people claim that Canada could have 2-3 teams contending for medals. The tournament is also still good hockey.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
This is nothing against the World Championships. It is a fine tournament, fun and important to Europeans but...

Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when we say we really don't care how Canada does at the World Championships? If we won, that would be great and I would be proud but if we finished last, me and 99% of Canadian hockey fans would not think twice about it.

However, Europeans believe we care. They believe we sweat the losses and worry how it reflects on Hockey Canada. For the record, we don't. Even I, someone who obsesses about all things Canadian hockey, don't care at all.

I believe most American fans feel the same way.

So... why don't Europeans believe us?

"When you stop caring 'bout what's in store, it's strange how, people stop caring about you anymore" -

G. Downie

Tyler Biggs*

Let's be honest people, the World Championship is the AHL of international hockey.

Domenica

This is nothing against the World Championships. It is a fine tournament, fun and important to Europeans but...

Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when we say we really don't care how Canada does at the World Championships? If we won, that would be great and I would be proud but if we finished last, me and 99% of Canadian hockey fans would not think twice about it.

However, Europeans believe we care. They believe we sweat the losses and worry how it reflects on Hockey Canada. For the record, we don't. Even I, someone who obsesses about all things Canadian hockey, don't care at all.

You start saying you don't care about how Canada does in the Canada - France GDT, get told off by the Mod for being off topic and your reaction is to post a new thread to express yet again how little you care?

Maybe it's the language barrier. When I read someone "doesn't care for x" I think he/she isn't interested. Maybe for you caring means something else. Like not being deeply involved. Or not losing sleep over Canada's first loss in this tournament.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
You're not as good as you should be. That's all i have to say.

How good should we be?

3/4 Olympics strikes me as pretty good. As for the juniors, we've failed to win medals at two straight events for the first time in about 30 years. Everyone else does that routinely, yet it's our idea of a slump.

I agree that Canada has underachieved badly at the WHC, but elsewhere Canada is doing fine.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

As a canadian living and working in Europe and working the current the current championships--this thread has more to do with the fact Canadians can not deal with the fact other countries players love this championship and snap to attention when the phone rings asking them to put their countries uni on. Some Canadian players ducked the phone call.

Fact of the matter is-these games prove that OTHER countries and their players love hockey more than Canadians!

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
As a canadian living and working in Europe and working the current the current championships--this thread has more to do with the fact Canadians can not deal with the fact other countries players love this championship and snap to attention when the phone rings asking them to put their countries uni on. Some Canadian players ducked the phone call.

Fact of the matter is-these games prove that OTHER countries and their players love hockey more than Canadians!

Highly doubtful...Howsa bout IIHF holds WC in Canada more than once every hundred years? Seems to me that when the tourney was in Canada ( 2005 was it? too lazy to check ) interest here was high, and our players showed a greater willingness to participate too...

Virtually every year WC is in Europe...so it's seen as a Euro tourney...Go Figure eh?

mahagga73

Dec 29, 2012
Downs,Il

No, nobody cares in the states either . Americans in general don't seem to care if if its not a best on best in any international competition. There are so many different sports going on all the time , even the more diehard hockey fans don't pay attention to the world tourney. This is the first year all the USA games have been televised on cable I know of.They got the TSN guys doing the call. I myself love all the international tourneys , even above NHL playoff hockey, but I am in the extreme minority there with how the Hawks and Blues are going in my area. USA hockey uses it as a chance for young guys to gain experience and reward loyal vets , not a premier event, that's how I see it.Its still a great tourney, and I'll be watching, hope USA does well, but won't be that upset if they don't.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Highly doubtful...Howsa bout IIHF holds WC in Canada more than once every hundred years? Seems to me that when the tourney was in Canada ( 2005 was it? too lazy to check ) interest here was high, and our players showed a greater willingness to participate too...

Virtually every year WC is in Europe...so it's seen as a Euro tourney...Go Figure eh?

Howsa bout you educate yourself? The first time Canada sought the bid they got it. http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-iihf/100-year-anniversary/100-top-stories/story-40/

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I do not much care about what Canadians, Americans, Austrians/whonot think about this or that. Likes and dislikes are a personal matter and will continue to be so.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
because it shows that Canada's depth isn't as great as claimed when during olympic time some people claim that Canada could have 2-3 teams contending for medals. The tournament is also still good hockey.

This.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
World Championships are great. Lots of teams, wish it got more promotion from the organizers. BUT. It's simply not a best-on-best tournament. I care about how Canada does in the World Juniors and Olympics...that is a best on best tourney. World Championships are nice to win but I wouldn't care if we lost unless teams were dressing their best. It's a bit idiotic the IIHF uses this as a basis for ranking but it doesn't really matter what the rankings are...everyone knows the score. I just feel bad for Team Finland dressing essentially what is the Jokerit team against some good national teams.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
As an American, I like it because it gives me a chance to see the young guys play together. Obviously, its fun to watch this Jones/Trouba group grow. Its a peak into the future for the States. Canada is in a different spot in their development. Few of their WC players will ever play in the Olympics for them.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
As a Canadian, would it be nice to win this tournament? Of course, but it’s certainly not the end of the world and doesn’t really mean anything if we don’t. We’re still the best regardless of how we do at the World Championships, because the results of this tournament don’t affect anyone’s perception of the rankings. We already proved that we are #1 at the kingpin tournament, the Olympics, back in February. Unlike losing at the Worlds, losing at the Olympics would have been a complete catastrophe, and one that would actually affect our international ranking and reputation. The difference between the two tournaments is, I may find out the results of the WC games after the fact, but I generally have no idea who Canada is playing or on what day they’re playing. By contrast, with a tournament like the Olympics, I have the schedule memorized inside out and backwards, and I’m closely following each and every second of every game.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I care but I'm not going to go ape crazy over a supposed 'World Championship" that has 2nd-3rd tier NHL'ers in it. It's a farce, at least the name of the tournament is. A few months ago we saw the best team possibly ever in the Olympics win gold, and now we have a bunch of 2-3rd liners joining up to play in a tournament that is titled "World Championship" It just turns me off to be honest. The best tournament and the best teams occurs every 4 years.

And yes I would be saying this regardless if Canada won. The tournament is a farce to what the organizers want it to be perceived as.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille