WC: Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when...

• Thread starter OttawaRoughRiderFan*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fasthnator

Feb 10, 2013
No sensible person really "cares" about the outcome of sports events. It's just entertainment.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
I think you are the exception, not the rule.

I don't believe that is the case. Proof...

If I asked 99% of the Canadian hockey fans on this site how Canada did at the last 5 Olympics and World Cups, they could tell me....

Wow in 2002 at the Olympics
Won at the World Cup in 2004
Lost in 2006 - Finished 7th
Won in 2010
Won in 2014

Most would remember where they were when they plated their final game.

However, if I were to ask those same fans how Canada did at the last 5 World Championships, I doubt anyone could tell me without looking it up. Most couldn't tell me anything about the tournament - where it was played, how Canada did, who played on the team, etc...

I can't really tell how Finland did 5 years ago, but I assure I've watched as many of them as possible. (All since errr 2000?)

Olympics:
1 Silver 2006
Rest bronze

(Not necessarily directed at you)
Also why the hell do you follow NHL? It's not best on best either. There for your logic fails.

Last edited:

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
So... why don't Europeans believe us?

it-hurts-me-every-time-you-act-like.jpg

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
This is nothing against the World Championships. It is a fine tournament, fun and important to Europeans but...

Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when we say we really don't care how Canada does at the World Championships? If we won, that would be great and I would be proud but if we finished last, me and 99% of Canadian hockey fans would not think twice about it.

However, Europeans believe we care. They believe we sweat the losses and worry how it reflects on Hockey Canada. For the record, we don't. Even I, someone who obsesses about all things Canadian hockey, don't care at all.

I believe most American fans feel the same way.

We believe you, we just don't care that you don't care.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Because I remember how giddy you were to win back to back WCH's in the early 00's. That reinforced the notion of Canada as the superior hockey nation, now when you've crashed and burned for 10 years it's a C-tournament with little to no value.

Please provide video evidence of Canadians celebrating a WC victory like the Europeans do? Last one was in 2007 so please no excuses about it being too long ago.

Captain Mittens*

This is nothing against the World Championships. It is a fine tournament, fun and important to Europeans but...

Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when we say we really don't care how Canada does at the World Championships? If we won, that would be great and I would be proud but if we finished last, me and 99% of Canadian hockey fans would not think twice about it.

However, Europeans believe we care. They believe we sweat the losses and worry how it reflects on Hockey Canada. For the record, we don't. Even I, someone who obsesses about all things Canadian hockey, don't care at all.

This thread is why they don't believe you

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I care about it, but not a ton.

If we win I'm pretty happy, if we lose, it is what it is. Its not like the Olympics or seeing the Nucks eliminated from the playoffs.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava

Maybe because you just took the time of your life to write a pretty long topic to express just how much you don't care.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
What I really can' t believe is how much Canadians care about a junior tournament^^

I don't care about how many Canadians care about the WHC, I root for Canada.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Please provide video evidence of Canadians celebrating a WC victory like the Europeans do? Last one was in 2007 so please no excuses about it being too long ago.

Why should I provide video evidence? I'm not claiming anyone thinks the WHC's are on par with a best-on-best tourney. But what I can reference are Canadians here and how they act, and Canadians at the defunct forums at the IIHF site 10 years ago (which really was a un-modded free for all) which I was part of. My statement holds true, from enforcing the Canadian image of best in the world the WHC's are now portrayed as sub-par competition that Canadians don't care about.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Why should I provide video evidence? I'm not claiming anyone thinks the WHC's are on par with a best-on-best tourney. But what I can reference are Canadians here and how they act, and Canadians at the defunct forums at the IIHF site 10 years ago (which really was a un-modded free for all) which I was part of. My statement holds true, from enforcing the Canadian image of best in the world the WHC's are now portrayed as sub-par competition that Canadians don't care about.

Ha, I remember those forums. That place was a gong show if I ever saw one. Makes me appreciate these well kept forums.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Why would that bother you? I truly don't understand why someone would go through this trouble if they didn't care. Also I don't understand why you would take time off your day to read threads on a hockey section dedicated to the WHC if you didn't care for the WHC. But maybe that's just me.

I enjoy HF - more than I like to admit. And when I read something that is inaccurate, especially about Canadians, it is hard not to comment/correct it.

Yet I saw the OP posting several times on this subforum today.

And... What did I say? Please look it up and repost.

Because I remember how giddy you were to win back to back WCH's in the early 00's.

I was not on HF back then.

I can't really tell how Finland did 5 years ago, but I assure I've watched as many of them as possible. (All since errr 2000?)

Olympics:
1 Silver 2006
Rest bronze

(Not necessarily directed at you)
Also why the hell do you follow NHL? It's not best on best either. There for your logic fails.

I follow the NHL because it is part of Canada. The World Championships are not.

We believe you, we just don't care that you don't care.

Fair enough.

If you don't believe the OP then that is fine. However, you will have to provide evidence if you think the tournament is popular in Canada.

Exactly. I care more than 99.99% of Canadians and I don't care at all.

Maybe because you just took the time of your life to write a pretty long topic to express just how much you don't care.

That's unfair.

If non Canadian posters, during the summer, kept saying that Canada was a snowy place all year round, I would do my best to correct the misconception - and perhaps start a thread to prove otherwise. That is what I am doing here. I am correcting an inaccuracy.

For someone who doesnt care you seem to care a lot

Again, I am just trying to set the record straight. I assure you, I am more concerned about the inaccuracy than the tournament. :)

What I really can' t believe is how much Canadians care about a junior tournament^^

That tournament, we love. If anyone tells you differently, they are lying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cruor

May 12, 2012
I was not on HF back then.

I wasn't referring to you specifically. That much should be obvious, but since you speak for Canadians in general I referred to those I've encountered on the net.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Because perhaps they do not realize that the fans on HFBoards are just the tip of a vast iceberg that represents fans of hockey in Canada. Those here to also tend to be the hardcore fans, who are more likely to follow an obscure tournament like the World Championships while the more popular NHL playoffs are on television every evening in North America.

I would estimate that at most ~1% of the Canadian hockey fans on this site follow these threads on the WHC. However, even if one included the total number of Canadians posters on this site, it would still represent much less than 1% of hockey fans in Canada. So at best, people are using around 0.01% of Canadian hockey fans comments to extrapolate how the majority of Canadians feel about the WHC. Now if this was a properly sampled group, a representative sentiment could be gathered. Instead, reading posts in this form is sampling the most extreme opinions of a large group, and one is going to arrive at a biased opinion using this data set.

As for those of us who do follow the WHC, how can we say that we really do not really care? For me, I equate watching the WHC to viewing a regular season NHL game in January, whereas I would compare watching the Olympics as similar to watching an elimination game for my team in the NHL playoffs. In both cases, yes, I hope my team wins as many games as possible. The difference between each situation being that the level of my attention and nervousness is significantly different.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Talk about an arrogant thread... :shakehead

I care about this tournament. Obviously not to the extent of the Olympics but I still hope we do well. I wobt be upset if we lose to Russia, USA, Sweden, or Finland (heck, even Switzerland), but to lose against France? Yeah, I'm going to be a little aggravated.

Unfortunately, our players don't think the same... Have SOME pride boys and actually give it your all instead of half assing it

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Canadians might watch a game because nothing else is on. But, if we lose, we just brush it off. It truly means nothing to us. Then we read posts on how much we care and it's hard not to respond.

When did you get elected to speak for all Canadians on this topic?

Perhaps *you* don't care about the WC.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

When did you get elected to speak for all Canadians on this topic?

Perhaps *you* don't care about the WC.

I'm entitled to my opinion and I believe my opinion represents 99% of all hockey fans in Canada. If you feel otherwise, that's fine.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

So your evidence is from a hockey forum 10 years ago? My evidence for Europeans caring about this tournament are the fans celebrating in the streets.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I'm entitled to my opinion and I believe my opinion represents 99% of all hockey fans in Canada. If you feel otherwise, that's fine.

most Canadians care about the wc because it's hockey but we don't care anywhere near the level of the Olympics or world juniors.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Probably because of threads like this and all the other numerous posts by Canadians in the various threads.

Granted, it may not be that large of a percentage of Canadians as a whole, but it seems like the ones that actually do care are the ones trying to convince themselves that they don't.

I agree that most Americans are the same, but I post in these threads and follow this tournament because I DO care and love this tournament. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
To put into perspective we finns have 5 Sochi olympics players playing in this tournament. Its not just Canada thats missing solid players but theyre the only country complaining about it. Rest of the world is not stupid if you have 5/25 of your best players in the tournament everyone understands its not best on best but its still interesting tournament. And you getto see worlds top end players like Pekka Rinne who could fit into any Canadas olympic team anyday but might not into Finlands top3. World Cup/Stanley Cup/Olympics are more valuable ofcourse and junior level tournaments are different matter but this is still great tournament.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

most Canadians care about the wc

Let me ask you this...

If you were to go out right now and stop 100 Canadians on the street, how many would have watched today's game or even know the tournament is on? My guess... it rhymes with "hero".

At Christmas, I know a ton of people that get up at 4 in the morning to watch the hockey. Same with the Olympics with it was in Nagano. Canadians don't care.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
So your evidence is from a hockey forum 10 years ago? My evidence for Europeans caring about this tournament are the fans celebrating in the streets.

That's great and all, you know but that wasn't what this discussion was about. I've never said that WHC's mean just as much to Canadians as to certain European nations. Why don't you try to read the OP and respond again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad