WC: Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when...

• Thread starter OttawaRoughRiderFan*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

premadonna

Oct 5, 2012
To be fair 99% of Europeans don't care about hockey.

When Canadians boast about being the greatest hockey nation in the world, do they realise that the rest of the world doesn't even care about the sport?

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think what some perceive as a double standard is when they talk smack when they win and claim no one cares when they lose.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Junior hockey is great. Top players, playing as hard as they can with unpredictable errors and plays.

They skate hard and give 110%. What's not to like.

This!!!

WHJ is great to watch! Of course, having (probably the greatest team to watch) the last 5 - 6 years help. =) I love the Swedish development program that dictate offensive hockey and puck possession. Its quite a show to watch and amazing that such young players can pull it off even though its tough for them vs NA teams.

Some truly great games were played the last years in WHJC, the group final versus Canada a few years ago was golden (cuz we won for the first time hahaha) with such a physical and even game.

I wish Canadian junior hockey could get better so we could enjoy the competition again, miss it tbh.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
For a tournament that is definitely not at the top of Canadian hockey fans' priorities at this time of year, it still does well ratings wise. One of their anchors told me a few years back that they still get over 500k viewers for them during the prelims, even for morning/afternoon games when most people are at work. That's excellent considering the top Stanley Cup game so far only got 1.2 million during prime time. So as much as it's not at the center of the Canadian hockey universe, saying Canadians don't care about it is wrong.

I find those that slag the tournament the most are the ones that don't watch it, so they have no clue as to the quality or level of hockey they're putting down. Having been to both the World Juniors and World Championships, both here in Canada and in Europe, I for one can say without a doubt the that WCs are a much more enjoyable experience, both hockey wise and outside of the rink than Canada's cherished Christmas kid's tournament.

Those who feel it necessary to downplay its relevance are simply making an excuse in the event of poor results unbecoming of Canada's #1 stature. Trust me, if they get within a goal of being relegated like the US did in 2010, Canadians will care.

Last edited:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
It's obvious that those Canadian posters who whine and moan in the GDTs care when things don't go their way.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I love this tournament, and I don't care what Canadians think about it. Nobody is forcing you to watch it. And nobody is forcing you to write on this section of the board neither.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Canadians in this very board watching the game start giving their knee-jerk reactions immediately after the game ends about not caring. It's hilarious and pathetic.

Some Euros could do the exact same thing after their losses at the WJC. If you really don't care then why the such strong need to tell everyone that you don't care?

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Canadians in this very board watching the game start giving their knee-jerk reactions immediately after the game ends about not caring. It's hilarious and pathetic.

Some Euros could do the exact same thing after their losses at the WJC. If you really don't care then why the such strong need to tell everyone that you don't care?

Yeah, you are right on!

Btw you got a really great team in Montreal, perhaps because they play a very european hockey game based on speed/skills. Best of luck in the playoff, but you should consider getting some swedish players before I'll be officially supporting you (and no, Douglas Murray doesnt count, needs to be Larsson's, Karlssons, Johanssons or Svenssons)! :handclap::naughty:

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
It's hard to care for a tournament that has most of the games airing at noon on workdays, it's tough to follow the tournament. Don't forget all the powerhouse countries all have second fiddle players (for the most part) participating.

Tostito Rangers

Jan 27, 2012
Arlington, MA
To the OP, I think in order to establish that the 99% Canadian fans do not care it would be equally important to show up on the boards after Canadian WC victories and plaster the boards with correctional posts that you do not really care. This would also serve as a sobering reminder to the minority Canadian fans who care that they are not representing the national trait in a graceful manner.

As you say it is important to show up and correct clear miscomprehension about dominant national traits, those post-victory threads here on these boards are important pockets of resistance, hives of infestation that spread the miscomprehension about the dominant and True Canadian hockey mentality. The corrective action needs to be directed increasingly towards those threads and particularly towards celebratory posters with Canadian passports. Showing up only post-loss is bordering on treason.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I really don't care about it, we won the Olympics this year (best on best), so I just don't see the point of the WC if each country doesn't even have it's full rosters. We already proved what we had to prove in Sochi.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
The average Canadian hockey fan really doesn't care about the WHC. It's simply not a hot topic of discussion among fans and many don't even know the tournament is going on. Canadian attention to this tournament isn't in the same league as that for the Olympics or World Cup, or even the WJC.

That said, I personally watch it simply because it national team hockey that usually includes some top-level players (though this is particularly weak year), as well as up-and-coming talent.

If we win gold, that's great. If we lose, I'm over it in seconds. It's the equivalent of a soccer "friendly."

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Americans care a little bit about the Olympics. Outside of that people don't care a lick about international hockey.

Now what would you say if American posters on this board were quick to remind people of that every single time the US team loses a game on any level? That's what you were doing after todays game and are still at it it seems.

jushi

Dec 28, 2011
during olympics canadians made many threats that they could make many teams that can win olympic tournaments and now they can't win france.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
You dont care? It seems to me you are teaching your youth to be losers and its starting to show.

What a bizarre comment.

Canada cares about the WJC more than anyone, win or lose.

Canadian fans not placing too much emphasis on the WHC is no different than Europeans being generally indifferent to the WJC under very recently.

IMO, it's largely down to a difference in hockey culture.

For Canada the WJC is a Christmas-New Year's tradition in which we rally behind the latest crop of youngsters in their first taste of international action. The fact that Canada hosts a disproportionate number of events also helps drive popularity. The WHCs, meanwhile, have always been over-shaddowed by the NHL playoffs, sub-par rosters, and all games being overseas.

In Europe it's the opposite. The WJCs have generally been treated as a second-tier event, while the WHCs have often been described as Europe's Stanley Cup, with all games (aside from 2008) being in Europe.

Last edited:

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Depends on the day and what else is happening in the world. I have several from past years that prove you wrong.

In the 1970s/80s the WHCs would often be big news because it was among the only times we'd get to see the Soviets and Czechs.

I can't recall too many front-page WHC stories since then. Maybe the 2008 final, but that's about it.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
In the 1970s/80s the WHCs would often be big news because it was among the only times we'd get to see the Soviets and Czechs.

I can't recall too many front-page WHC stories since then. Maybe the 2008 final, but that's about it.

The Sun has had them on the front page quite frequently over the years on slow news days, and not just the final.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
This is nothing against the World Championships. It is a fine tournament, fun and important to Europeans but...

Why don't Europeans believe Canadians when we say we really don't care how Canada does at the World Championships? If we won, that would be great and I would be proud but if we finished last, me and 99% of Canadian hockey fans would not think twice about it.

However, Europeans believe we care. They believe we sweat the losses and worry how it reflects on Hockey Canada. For the record, we don't. Even I, someone who obsesses about all things Canadian hockey, don't care at all.

I believe most American fans feel the same way.

So... why don't Europeans believe us?

Why don't you believe we don't care about the Stanley Cup or NHL-officiated and organized Canada/World Cups?

Also don't generalize. Maybe there are some ppl who believe what you are saying there, but mostly ppl know Canadians don't care and just find it inappropriate. Due to format and not best on best blah-blah(btw all fault of the NHL not willing to cooperate), but it's still the World Championship. The NA attitude towards it is disrespectful.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
not all are like you....

and for the love of god.

stanley cup, our own league, olympics, junior world championship and even world cup is also bigger for euros than this world championship...for exemple here in sweden its hated, people are calling it a c-tournament. but some people ofcourse still cares,,,,its hockey. nations against nations. its funny see some smaller nations, younger players and some players that will never make it to the olympics, for these players, this is their olympics.

and yes, its not best on best, its more like depth vs depth...who is best...team canada c or sweden team c?

its funny hockey, all 4 games today was funny.

Please don't speak for all "Europeans". What you write there might be true for Sweden or some part of Sweden. I can taell you it's very different in Russia.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
It might change in Sweden as well. The more Swedes in NHL the less likely will it be that you git the best Swedish players.

Even if other teams lack players it is exciting to see the most of your nation's bets players play on the same team. This WC will not field many Swedish top names and thus it gets a little less exciting, probably getting worse over the coming years to with the current trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad