Why do people dislike abdelkader so much?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
He doesn't fit in Edm style of play. He could turn it around in a different situation. It will still be a bad deal but not as bad. Gator is a fringe NHL player and if you took his name off the Jersey should probably be in the American hockey league

Give it up dude, Lucic is washed. He’s making an insane salary on a team that’s trying to make the playoffs for like six more years. It’s a complete lead weight.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If the money is the same you take Gator over Lucic? That's what I thought

It’s.... not the same though? That has no bearing on comparing the worst contracts in the NHL. Lucic makes a lot more money than Abdelkader does and for the same exact production, on a team where he has played a lot of time with the best player in the world. Abdelkader is one of the worst contracts in the league, but come off it.

Reactions: LazyT

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It’s.... not the same though? That has no bearing on comparing the worst contracts in the NHL. Lucic makes a lot more money than Abdelkader does and for the same exact production, on a team where he has played a lot of time with the best player in the world. Abdelkader is one of the worst contracts in the league, but come off it.
Lucic has a terrible contract. In a vacuum his is worse because it's for more money but it's really not worse. Gators imo is worse because at least Lucic had merits for the deal when it was made. EVERYONE knew when the ink was still wet on Abdelkader's deal that is was a horrible signing. He in no sharp or form was/is worth that term or hit.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Lucic has a terrible contract. In a vacuum his is worse because it's for more money but it's really not worse. Gators imo is worse because at least Lucic had merits for the deal when it was made. EVERYONE knew when the ink was still wet on Abdelkader's deal that is was a horrible signing. He in no sharp or form was/is worth that term or hit.
I don't know why you're making this a hill to die on, but everyone knew Lucic's contract was bad before the ink was dry too.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I'd be happy if the Wings could persuade some team to take Abdelkader packaged with the Wings latest 2nd round pick. That is a solid win, addition by subtraction. Problem is, I doubt any team would do it, not without more coming in return.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'd be happy if the Wings could persuade some team to take Abdelkader packaged with the Wings latest 2nd round pick. That is a solid win, addition by subtraction. Problem is, I doubt any team would do it, not without more coming in return.

I agree, while we may not need cap, the removal of him from our lineup would be fantastic. Abby a 2nd and a lower prospect, for a bag of kettle corn, would be nice.

Reactions: avssuc

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I agree, while we may not need cap, the removal of him from our lineup would be fantastic. Abby a 2nd and a lower prospect, for a bag of kettle corn, would be nice.
I'd prefer removing him from the lineup by waiving him, if his cap hit isn't an issue we shouldn't give up assets.
Unfortunately Holland doesn't have the balls and/or falls for the sunk cost fallacy.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'd prefer removing him from the lineup by waiving him, if his cap hit isn't an issue we shouldn't give up assets.
Unfortunately Holland doesn't have the balls and/or falls for the sunk cost fallacy.

Yeah, that is why I went with the trade hope, as I don't envision any scenario where Blashill holds Abby accountable and scratches him from the lineup (I'd be fine with just this), let alone goes to waivers from Holland. 4 more years, SIGH!

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah, that is why I went with the trade hope, as I don't envision any scenario where Blashill holds Abby accountable and scratches him from the lineup (I'd be fine with just this), let alone goes to waivers from Holland. 4 more years, SIGH!
Hell, I'd rather have Givani Smith in the lineup than Abdelkader, at least he'll be hungry

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Abdelkader contract is giving us higher draft picks.

People should be happy.

But whiners will always find a factor to whine. No matter what the thing is.

Ryan Callahan isn't any better at Tampa and it didn't hurt them to collect 62 wins.

This has grown just out of peoples minds.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Abdelkader contract is giving us higher draft picks.

People should be happy.

But whiners will always find a factor to whine. No matter what the thing is.

Ryan Callahan isn't any better at Tampa and it didn't hurt them to collect 62 wins.

This has grown just out of peoples minds.

So you're saying Abby's contract is having a negative impact on the team, leading to the higher draft picks. But also that it's like Callahan's, which didn't hurt Tampa and their 62 wins?

Which is it?

Whichever one lets you adopt a holier than thou attitude and whine about people's whining I guess...

Reactions: avssuc

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
4 years is a long time for a non-NHL player to have a significant role on our favorite team. Coupled with 3 years of Neilsen (he's currently serviceable) and they account for 13% of the 18-19 cap.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
4 years is a long time for a non-NHL player to have a significant role on our favorite team. Coupled with 3 years of Neilsen (he's currently serviceable) and they account for 13% of the 18-19 cap.
Fortunately the cap is always going up and the contracts won't be as problematic when we're competitive, but yeah it's bad.

Reactions: kliq

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Fortunately the cap is always going up and the contracts won't be as problematic when we're competitive, but yeah it's bad.

That may be the case, but the Wings will need to stop spending to the cap limit every year, something they haven't done since before the last cup. It might not cause the Wings to lose anyone, but they may want to forgo bridge deals and seek longer term with some of the current lottery picks and ELC guys in an effort to save cap during their playoff window.

Like @Henkka said, Abby will be bringing the tank to new heights for the next 4 years... so the Wings could be loaded with lottery picks.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Like @Henkka said, Abby will be bringing the tank to new heights for the next 4 years... so the Wings could be loaded with lottery picks.

I didn't say that. He can be a TANK factor in a weak team. Or he can be "Callahan" on a winning team and no one misses a beat.

People are overestimating his influence how this is now ultimate kryptonite that will tear the organization down.

Every team has bad contracts and team that won't have bad contracts aren't even against the cap. So in cap competition the field is equal.

Other problems are different and bigger than some Abdelkader.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
His cap hit won't be a problem until the team is competitive.

His inability to play is a problem because it handicaps whichever line he's on and makes that line useless and boring to watch. The big problem is that the front office has too much invested in him politically and will play him no matter what. This is one of the (many) reasons why Holland needs to leave.

Once Holland is gone, the new GM can bury Abby in GR so that he's not a distraction. We don't need our future captain defending Abby in press conferences. There's no excuse for garbage play, unless he's injured in which case he should LTIRetire.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
His cap hit won't be a problem until the team is competitive.

His inability to play is a problem because it handicaps whichever line he's on and makes that line useless and boring to watch. The big problem is that the front office has too much invested in him politically and will play him no matter what. This is one of the (many) reasons why Holland needs to leave.

Once Holland is gone, the new GM can bury Abby in GR so that he's not a distraction. We don't need our future captain defending Abby in press conferences. There's no excuse for garbage play, unless he's injured in which case he should LTIRetire.

I agree, but there's conditions here to consider.

-Holland (or the guy that replaces him) will probably be forced to do bridge deals for any expiring contract within the next 3 years. Fine for the short term, and there might not be anyone worthy of extending from ELC to the earlier years of UFA, but it's certainly something to consider with the number of guys coming up on RFA status in the next 3 years. Things look real easy right now, but things can get pretty sticky fast. Just think about how bad things would be for the Leafs if they hadn't been gifted a golden parachute for the Clarkson hit!

-Balanced with the above are the potential FA targets.

-When was the last time this organization buried an established player (assistant captain and focal point of PR) in the minors? But maybe that's the best thing... for Holland to save him from himself by having Abdelkader on the roster, limiting the Wings ability to sign ______ FA and pinch one of the young guns on an upcoming contract.

-4 years is a long time to assume this team won't compete. While I agree, stranger things have happened. If the Wings did exceed that expectation, the cost of moving that contract grows because of the position the Wings are in. Maybe the can move him around the Seattle expansion (like Clarkson), but I'd prefer to see them be proactive and remove the cancer before it grows and potentially requires a larger operation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad