Why do people dislike abdelkader so much?

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
He was gifted a top 6 scoring line role, unearned, for no reason other than Babs had a crush on him.
He was mediocre to bad in that role and statistically dragged down Zetterberg and Datsyuk in the twilight of their careers when there were plenty of better options on the roster. This was no more apparent than when they blew a 3-1 series lead against Chicago with Abdelkader sucking the life out of his linemates and Babcock stubbornly refusing to make adjustments in 2013.
His production playing with 2 of the best 2-way centers in the NHL earned him a lot of points by association, and created the undeserved pay raise because of said increase in production. Production that was solely generated by the talent around him, which if it wasn't obvious enough already from just watching him out there, became even more clear the minute Datsyuk retired and his production sank like a cement-shoed corpse in the East River.

All that being said, Abby is a good team guy and a solid grinder. He'd be appreciated much like Glendenning is, if his pay and usage was more in line with Glenny. Babcock/Blashill's roster decisions and Holland's dumbo contract extension forced that dislike.

And yes, the Wings would have a hard time finding a fair offer for him on that contract. That is a David Clarkson level bad contract. Brian Bickell level bad. The kind of contract where you need to give up draft picks to unload on a basement dwelling team desperate to reach the cap floor.

This is where my opinion differs. I think Glendening is one of the best 4th line/shutdown centers in the league, and he's played in that role. Abdelkader is a super average 4th line grinder who doesn't forecheck, doesn't really hit, doesn't agitate, doesn't really do anything. Even when he was not a fringe NHL'er, he was still nothing more than an average 3rd line winger/2PP net front presence..

Reactions: Mlotek

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
This is where my opinion differs. I think Glendening is one of the best 4th line/shutdown centers in the league, and he's played in that role. Abdelkader is a super average 4th line grinder who doesn't forecheck, doesn't really hit, doesn't agitate, doesn't really do anything. Even when he was not a fringe NHL'er, he was still nothing more than an average 3rd line winger/2PP net front presence..

It actually doesn't differ at all. I also believe Glenny to be infinitely more valuable than Abdelkader.
I was just using Glenny's contract as a comparison, my point is if Abby was paid like Glenny, and was used in a similar role, there wouldn't be as much vitriol for the guy. He'd be seen as just another average checking line player that he is instead of one that's being paid like he's a top 6 scorer.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
It’s gotta be the relatively low cap number that saves him. I think the fact that he’s even an honorable mention speaks to how bad he’s been, because he’s the lowest paid player on this list by almost $600K and he’s “only” got 4 years left.

Guy named Adam posted that in the comment section of the article and I think he's pretty spot if you look at how Dom compiled his list.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And I don't think it helps him he kinda has a punchable face.

justin-abdelkader-2015-34.jpg

Reactions: FMichael and Oddbob

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
I don't hate the guy. I just think both coaches (current and former) gave him too much time on the 1st line. I really do not think he is first line material. Maybe, at most, when the team is struggling as a whole, you put him there. But, not for too long; he just doesn't have the talent level to be on the first line.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't hate the guy. I just think both coaches (current and former) gave him too much time on the 1st line. I really do not think he is first line material. Maybe, at most, when the team is struggling as a whole, you put him there. But, not for too long; he just doesn't have the talent level to be on the first line.

All of that is true, but I did enjoy Datsyuk using him as a backboard for scoring goals.

Reactions: MikeyDee

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It actually doesn't differ at all. I also believe Glenny to be infinitely more valuable than Abdelkader.
I was just using Glenny's contract as a comparison, my point is if Abby was paid like Glenny, and was used in a similar role, there wouldn't be as much vitriol for the guy. He'd be seen as just another average checking line player that he is instead of one that's being paid like he's a top 6 scorer.
Not quite as much, but people would still hate him because he's slow. With the lack of elite scoring talent on this team, the only way they win games is by outskating the opponent. Abby doesn't fit that scheme.

I'm hoping Blash learned something in the last handful of games. The only advantage this team has at all is speed, and he needs to utilize it. I hope he doesn't double shift AA and Larkin the full season though, that's a lot of wear and tear.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
People love Abby the person and player, they just hate that he has a $4 million price tag with him
Bertuzzi is going to fall victim to the criticism. Bert is a great player, but people are going to hate him when he starts making $5+ million a season.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I don't dislike AppleFritters, he provided one of my favorite memories in college. I dislike Holland's contract. 4mil for a 20 point player was incredibly stupid (but Konnan511, he was coming off consecutive 40 point seasons. We ALL know why he got those 40 points).

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Bertuzzi is going to fall victim to the criticism. Bert is a great player, but people are going to hate him when he starts making $5+ million a season.
Not if he keeps playing the way he does and finishes every season between 45-55 points. He'll be looking at $6+ million a season.

Reactions: FMichael

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Don’t dislike Abby...just his contract

I disliked Abbie before the contract. Back during th SJ series he took bunch of dumb penalties at bad times.

*Time are from scoring summary not timeleft in period*
Game 1: 2:43 in OT gets a double minor for high sticking.
SJ score GWG 7:03 right after PP is over.

Game 2: 3:11 in 1st period takes a high sticking penalty.
SJ PPG for 1st goal of game.
Detroit lose 2-1

Game 4: 11:35 of 3rd takes penalty, game is 3-3. Luckily SJ dont score.
Detroit eventually win.

Game 5: 14:55 of 3rd takes elbowing penalty. Game was 4-3 for Detroit, again lucky to hold on.

Game 6: 13:14 of 3rd takes holding penalty. Game was 2-1 for Detroit, managed to hold on.

Abdelkader had 0 points in the series, cost Detroit game 1, and took 3 late penalties in the 3rd period in other games.

2011 NHL Western Conference Semi-Finals: DET vs. SJS | Hockey-Reference.com

The next season Babcock explained why Tootoo wasn't in playoff squad, paraphrasing here "He is too undisciplined, we can't have guys out there taking penalties." That hypocrisy turned my hate of Abdelkader up and soured me on Babcock.

To me it exposed Babcock's favour to certain players regardless of performance. Still true in Toronto with Leivo, Hainsey, Marleau, Polak, etc. Its no coincidence Dubas is taking away his little favourites.

In 2012 I noticed Abbie break a cardinal sin of fighting. He would continue punch his opponents after they were already on the ground. At first I thought it was a despicable isolated incident till he did it again. After watching a bunch of his fight from before, he was doing that BS back in Grand Rapids as well.
Perhaps this make him a fan favourite in Michigan, I find that unacceptable and dishonourable.

Mantha did that once, and Vitkovski taught him to NEVER do it again.

That Blunden incident another BS that stems from his dishonour and lack of respect.

Given I was already down on him didn't help when he got USA knocked out of the World Championship. His second charging penalty of the game was a 5 minute major for KOing Sobotka in the head. Czechs mounted a massive comeback due to 5 minute major defeating USA thanks to PP goals. I think he was also Kaptain of team USA at that time, earned himself a nice 3 game suspension. That would have been 2014 or so.

Hence, I hated the player before the contract. He's shown nothing since to change my opinion.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
In 2016 you could have said the same thing about Abby.
Negative. Abby was entering his 8th season with the Wings when he signed that contact at age 29. We already knew the type of player he was. Bertuzzi just finished his second season scoring more points than Abby ever did in a season. If Abby bounces back and finishes with 35-45 points, the contract won't bother me much.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
All of that is true, but I did enjoy Datsyuk using him as a backboard for scoring goals.

I can't remember what year it was: the thread was "Who gets the first goal of the season"? One poster predicted Abby by virtue of Datsyuk "bouncing one off his ass". That was exactly what happened! It was a priceless moment in Datsyukian and Hfboards history.

Reactions: FMichael and Bench

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Negative. Abby was entering his 8th season with the Wings when he signed that contact at age 29. We already knew the type of player he was. Bertuzzi just finished his second season scoring more points than Abby ever did in a season. If Abby bounces back and finishes with 35-45 points, the contract won't bother me much.

Not Negative. You said regarding Bertuzzi "Not if he keeps playing the way he does and finishes every season between 45-55 points".

In 2016 Abby was coming off a 44 (in 71 games) and 42 point season. If he had kept up that pace to present, nobody would be upset with him. 4.25 mil for 45 - 55 points is completely worth it.

I understand that you are saying that its a different situation, but I'm I didnt mean to imply that it was. My point was simply that at that point in time if Abby kept up the production, people would be fine with him, just like they will be fine with Bert if he keeps it up. If Bert gets paid 6mil/year and drops to 19 points a season and starts to play the way Abby has played, people will turn on him as well. Nobody is going to care that he is younger. Overpaid is over paid.

With that said, I'm not saying that will happen to Bert, I think he will be just fine.

Reactions: Konnan511

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If his play isn't better and it becomes clear there will be no compliance buyouts as part of the cba we have to consider buying him out next summer. I don't really like buyouts but Abdelkader has to go that route if he cannot hold down a roster spot. It would be depressing to carry his buyout money for a long time too, but at least the ELC replacement will be NHL caliber. This season is it for me with Gator. He needs to prove he can at least somewhat limp through on the fourth line at least a little longer or we need to KO him off the roster in my opinion.

I would not buy out that contract to create such a long cap hit. We don't need the money now, I agree with the below comment to bury him in GR if necessary.

Why not just waive him? He likely clears and goes to GR but maybe some team trying to reach the cap floor will pick him up and take it off our hands. I realize they still are responsible for his cap hit (minus the league minimum) in the more likely event he does clear and plays in the AHL, but it will be a couple years before the Wings need the cap space while they rebuild.

Pick your poison, $3.275 mil a year until 2023, or $1.4 mil a year until 2027.

I'd ride out his bad contract out and bury him in GR, and if things change in the final year or 2 of his contract and the Wings become competitive and need some cap space to swing a deal for a big free agent, then buy him out when the penalty isn't as severe.

Reactions: Winger98

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Not Negative. You said regarding Bertuzzi "Not if he keeps playing the way he does and finishes every season between 45-55 points".

In 2016 Abby was coming off a 44 (in 71 games) and 42 point season. If he had kept up that pace to present, nobody would be upset with him. 4.25 mil for 45 - 55 points is completely worth it.

I understand that you are saying that its a different situation, but I'm I didnt mean to imply that it was. My point was simply that at that point in time if Abby kept up the production, people would be fine with him, just like they will be fine with Bert if he keeps it up. If Bert gets paid 6mil/year and drops to 19 points a season and starts to play the way Abby has played, people will turn on him as well. Nobody is going to care that he is younger. Overpaid is over paid.

With that said, I'm not saying that will happen to Bert, I think he will be just fine.
Would there be any fanbase happy when a forward getting paid 6 million only gets 19 points in a full season?

You are stating the obvious here.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Would there be any fanbase happy when a forward getting paid 6 million only gets 19 points in a full season?

You are stating the obvious here.

If thats what you took from what I said, you're missing my original point.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Abdelkader sucks. It amazes me how much people still talk about him.. Hes gotten slower when he was never fast. Got less talented when he really didn't have much.. And his once calling card of grit has vanished. It's going to be the same situation for the rest of his contract until he is buried, bought out or goes on LTIR if we somehow are lucky enough. But for now, I just hope he can somehow slightly improve from last year. Even a small percentage more, re-learn to stick handle or something.. Until then I've wasted enough energy being annoyed at watching him. At least he is consistent...

Best way to never be disappointed is to never have expectations?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad