Why do people dislike abdelkader so much?

The Lucky Pucks

Apr 29, 2017
Is it him as a player you dislike or the 4.25M cap hit? If he had a 3M cap hit would he not receive as much hate as he does on these boards. Would the wings have a hard time trying to find a fair offer for him from any other team?

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Is it him as a player you dislike or the 4.25M cap hit? If he had a 3M cap hit would he not receive as much hate as he does on these boards. Would the wings have a hard time trying to find a fair offer for him from any other team?

I think most(including myself) resent the fact that this 4th line plug was what two of the world's best players were given as their "power forward/goal scorer" in the twilight of their prime. His contract is 100% the result of playing on Datsyuk's wing and everyone knew it.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Would rather play someone like Ehn for way less. 4th line players shouldn't be payed that much and everyone knew the contract was bad as soon as it was signed.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
I think most(including myself) resent the fact that this 4th line plug was what two of the world's best players were given as their "power forward/goal scorer" in the twilight of their prime. His contract is 100% the result of playing on Datsyuk's wing and everyone knew it.
bang on. i don't think it took a genius to realize that he was a product of playing with z and datsyuk

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The cap is less of an Abdelkader problem and more of a Holland negotiation problem. The dislike stems from him being largely one of the worst producing players in hockey, regardless of pay. He’s also stopped being useful as a physical presence, agitator, PKer, or even a warm body to use as a screen. You could change his contract to league minimum and I still wouldn’t want him on my team. I’m sure he’s a very nice person, he’s just not a good hockey player. I could say the same about pretty much anybody on this website, but notice they aren’t NHL players, although I’m sure they’d love to make 4.25 million.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
1) The contract.
2) The contract.
3) The contract.
4) The PR spin as if he's a cornerstone of the team.
5) The contract.
6) His style of play doesn't age well.
7) The contract.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
1) The contract.
2) The contract.
3) The contract.
5) The contract.
6) His style of play doesn't age well.
7) The contract.

I hate the pr spin so much. I saw a commercial with red wings players talking about how awesome abdelkader is, it made me want to puke

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Babcock's 'square peg, round hole' line philosophy that tried to make grinders into scorers or "piano pullers". The fact that Holland couldn't see past that and realize that he wasn't a top line forward and giving him a long contract that every knew he'd never live up to. Then the cold comfort of knowing we were all right about that years later.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Let's say he has not aged well. He is too slow for today's game. In addition, he has lost a lot of his edge and not nearly as abrasive as a few years ago. That happens when you lose too many fights.

Reactions: FMichael

Vecchio

Apr 20, 2016
His style of play doesn't cut it in the new NHL. Also, that commercial is embarrassing... everyone says the things you would say when you know the player sucks. "Great locker room guy". "Competes real hard". "Determination". Translation? We like him off the ice, and he tries real hard. Give me 4.5 millions dollars a year and I will try REAL HARD for you, and will be the best teammate around. I can't blame Abdelkader for these things though, because it isn't his fault that he makes too much money and he is used incorrectly. He should be a PK guy playing 9 minutes a night to give other guys a rest while keeping the puck out of our net, and throwing some hits around. Instead we had him playing on the top line, and pp1. Those things aren't his fault. His game is a joke, but mainly because how much he is getting paid and how he is used.

Reactions: The Wizard of Oz

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
You don't sign players for 7 years who don't have skill... You certainly don't sign a grinder who drags every line he is on for 7 years. Holland's blind loyalty to any player developed or drafted by the Wings or a player that grew up in Michigan is his main down fall.

Neilsen, Erricson, Abdelkader, Helm, Dekeyser.. players we give long term contracts to. Now look at Tampa Bay

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If Holland ends up not re-signing Nyquist this offseason (which I think there's a fair chance he will) it is a little crazy to think a player like Abby got a 7-year $4.25 million contract, a player like Helm got a 5-year $3.85 million contract, but a player like Nyquist he lets walk.

But more to the point, yes it's the contract. 7 years and that money for a player like Abby is insane. Everyone knew it was bad at the time and it's even worse now because he's declined even faster than most folks thought. It isn't just that he's not a playmaker, it's that this season he can't even keep up with the play half the time.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's not just the contract but the timing of the extension. It came around November, when the Wings didn't have to lock him up at all. It was also becoming clear the Wings were falling out of being a playoff contender and Gator was a player who, at that time, still had pretty good value. He was coming off a 40+ point season, he was a consistent pick for various US national teams, he had playoff experience, etc. He was a guy the Wings could have likely pulled some very good value for if they tried to trade him.

Now, as others have already said, his play has dipped, his contract is bad, etc. I think he's a guy a lot of fans around here (myself included) didn't want around this long to begin with, though. And how it's played out just sort of feels inevitable and preordained. I'm hoping the guy can resurrect himself a bit next season.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If Holland ends up not re-signing Nyquist this offseason (which I think there's a fair chance he will) it is a little crazy to think a player like Abby got a 7-year $4.25 million contract, a player like Helm got a 5-year $3.85 million contract, but a player like Nyquist he lets walk.

But more to the point, yes it's the contract. 7 years and that money for a player like Abby is insane. Everyone knew it was bad at the time and it's even worse now because he's declined even faster than most folks thought. It isn't just that he's not a playmaker, it's that this season he can't even keep up with the play half the time.

At this point overpaying Nyquist doesn't undo overpaying Helm and Abdelkader.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Abdelkader scored a goal in the SCF. In Holland's mind that makes him a legacy player, worthy of a lifetime, no-pressure contract with the Wings. I like Abdelkader but he is a 2.5 million a year player. I hate the contract and that makes me hate the player. It's not Abdelkader's fault he played with a center that would give a traffic cone 20 goal seasons.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
There's no such thing as moving Abdelkader's contract, I think. Well, okay, I'll put it this way, if you are so creative that you can move Abdelkader or his contract then I think you should be working for an NHL team. You should really go down to Little Caesars and apply immediately. You have my blessing.

However, regarding disappointment in him it's his play since he took that contract and his play in general: We've got a 32 year-old guy with an "A" on his sweater who is performing at about the level of Rasmussen, Rasmussen who would be in the AHL this season if possible and who came straight to the NHL from juniors. One measly multi-point night in like two seasons as of last night from an assistant captain, and not even a hint of the physical play that we used to get from him either.

He used to be a ball of fire. I mean, when they gave him the contract, the NTC was mostly what I read complaints about. People who complained still knew that he was all over the ice throwing big checks. There was a bit of dispute over how much checking was really worth but given his propensity at the time to literally fight for his teammates, and given that he was providing some decent offense, nobody quite predicted such a downfall. But both of those important dimensions to his game are already all but gone.

He has no coming contract to play for the rest of his NHL career, and I really think this is a guy who is of no use on the ice whatsoever at the NHL level a season or two from now at his current pace of degradation. But thanks to that contract and the "A" on his sweater, he can hang out and take up space rather than to retire early like he should.

Last edited:
Reactions: avssuc

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
1. He got that contract despite the fact that Holland already knew Datysuk was retiring at the end of the season.
2. Contract took place entirely during his 30's.
3. His stats were clearly inflated by playing with Datsyuk
4. You don't give seven year contracts to bottom six depth talent

I could keep going, but i would prefer not to waste any more mental energy on Justin Abdelkader.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
That's a big one for me. In what universe is Abdelkader anything more than a glorified role player? He's not an engine. He's not a piano puller. He's an utterly replaceable grinder type who's been elevated far above his station with very little to show for it.

Analysts from all over the league knew it was a bad deal the second it was signed. This isn't hindsight. It was too much money for too many years for a mediocre player. You cannot do that in the cap era. You can afford to pay your stars the big bucks, and then fill it out with some supporting talent. What you absolutely cannot do is give 4M+ to guys like Abdelkader.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
As for the pro-Abdelkader commercials, they are out of place enough that I kinda wonder if people on the inside know something about his decline that we don't.

Last edited:

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
I like Abby.. he serves a purpose.. only problem is his purpose should involve a 2mill or less cap hit.. ending sooner than it does. And be a 4th line staple playing 10 minutes a night. Seeing only pk time, not pp time..

The only issues I have with Abby, are not his to control. That's on gm/coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad