Why do people dislike abdelkader so much?

Blueliner70

Mar 16, 2018
1. It's the contract.
2. It was Ken Holland who offered the albatross deal.
3. The fact Abby does not have Zetterberg and Datsyuk around him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
After watching the last few games with the college/AHL kids and no Abby, I have no desire to watch Abby play again, ever. I also see no reason to sign Vanek.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
1. It's the contract.
2. It was Ken Holland who offered the albatross deal.
3. The fact Abby does not have Zetterberg and Datsyuk around him.

To be fair, Abby put up 35 points in 17-18 despite barely playing with Zetterberg. Played mostly with Frans Nielsen and Darren Helm that year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Detroit Red Wings: Waivers next for Justin Abdelkader?

What is the likelihood he would get put on waivers? I will say about 3%. It would be a clear admission of fault by Holland something I have never seen him do. And Gator is home grown but it must happen. He single handedly has the worst contract in the NHL imo..

I think they'll let him come to camp next year and start the season for ~10 or so games before they make any hard and fast decisions about him - unless they desperately need the cap/roster space sooner. But even then it would be easier to move one of Ericsson/Daley.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

What is the likelihood he would get put on waivers? I will say about 3%. It would be a clear admission of fault by Holland something I have never seen him do. And Gator is home grown but it must happen. He single handedly has the worst contract in the NHL imo..

Maybe true, but dang, i'm looking at James Neal's contract and it looks pretty bad. He put up 19 points in 63 games despite playing on a powerhouse offensive team in Calgary. Still has four more seasons at 5.75M on his contract.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Maybe true, but dang, i'm looking at James Neal's contract and it looks pretty bad. He put up 19 points in 63 games despite playing on a powerhouse offensive team in Calgary. Still has four more seasons at 5.75M on his contract.
I would trade for Gator if they retain some of the money back. (Which they would never do) At least he has a track record of production not like Gators outlier season...

Reactions: avssuc

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Gator has really NEVER did anything to get his deal. Lucic at one time was probably the best PF in the NHL.
Yes but that was about 5 years before Edmonton gave him that contract.

I agree Lucic was once by far a better player than Abby will ever be, but Lucic's contract was also of the "everyone outside of the GM knows this is immediately bad" variety.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I feel bad for abdelkader in the same way I feel bad for Helm. Neither can control when their number was called. And no one here is going to turn down 30 million dollars to play a game. Babcock and Holland should get the hate.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I feel bad for abdelkader in the same way I feel bad for Helm. Neither can control when their number was called. And no one here is going to turn down 30 million dollars to play a game. Babcock and Holland should get the hate.
How exactly is Babcock responsible for giving Abdelkader and Helm those ridiculous contracts? Holland is the GM.

And I don't feel bad for them. If they felt bad they could surely bust their ass to try and find some ways to be more valuable to this team, like guys like Jensen and Glendening have.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

Helm does not get nearly as much flak as Abby, because Helm actually tries. Abby just flat out stopped caring and it shows. He deserves the criticism. As for Holland, he offered a shyte contract to a player with inflated worth due to Datsyuk and he gets plenty of hate for it.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
How exactly is Babcock responsible for giving Abdelkader and Helm those ridiculous contracts? Holland is the GM.

That goes back to they can't control when their numbers were called. If you play with Datsyuk, you're going to likely put up numbers above your normal production. Holland, being king potato, thought somehow that was a sign of actual skill, but if they were left in their natural roles as bottom 6 forwards, this problem wouldn't exist.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I don't think either is anywhere near likely to happen but i'd say the odds are probably higher of him being named captain next year than they are of him getting put on waivers

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
That goes back to they can't control when their numbers were called. If you play with Datsyuk, you're going to likely put up numbers above your normal production. Holland, being king potato, thought somehow that was a sign of actual skill, but if they were left in their natural roles as bottom 6 forwards, this problem wouldn't exist.
If Holland can't tell that Abby's production was a product of playing with Datsyuk, he should've been fired long ago.

Reactions: avssuc

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
It doesn't matter what a player did in the past when looking at their contract now and in the future.

You can say that Neal or Lucic's contract made much more sense at the time it was signed than Abdelkader's did at the time it was signed, but that doesn't mean it's better NOW.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I could think Abdelkader will be better next season. He isn't this bad as he was.

Everybody said same about DeKeyser, but this season he rebounded for his old form.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You’re moving the goalposts around. Lucic absolutely has the worst contract in the nhl at the moment.
He doesn't fit in Edm style of play. He could turn it around in a different situation. It will still be a bad deal but not as bad. Gator is a fringe NHL player and if you took his name off the Jersey should probably be in the American hockey league

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Why would you feel bad for someone who is overpaid? Do you think he rather make less to avoid criticism? And its not"hate" but yes it is all Holland's fault I do agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->