Why do people dislike abdelkader so much?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Its a Michigan thing.

And just recall when Abbie got the A after Datsyuk left.

The excitement in the office for him even then was quite real. I was the outlier that didn't like the guy.
I lived in Michigan for a total of 14 years, glad I never had to work with so many stupid people like you do.

Reactions: Mlotek

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If he was putting up 45+ every season, NOBODY would be pissed about the contract besides the people who will never like Abdelkader. 4.25 for a guy putting up 45 points is, if anything, underpaid. The problem with Abby is that he's not putting up points, he's not playing good two-way hockey, and he's taking dumb penalties.

How is that a problem? That's grit and leadership :sarcasm:

Reactions: Realgud

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
A lot of what you are saying is correct in hindsight. However, my issue with statements like this (first bold) are that I had heard that we needed a re-build and that the Wings were too old and had to tear it down since 2003 after the Ducks swept us. If a fan screams re-build every single year, eventually they are going to get it right. Just imagine if Holland tore it down in 2003 and traded Lidstrom and co. we do not win a cup in 2008. By 2010, that became the cliche thing to say about the Wings. If people were tearing you apart for saying that, I have to imagine its because they were sick of hearing the same thing every single year for a decade.

There is no doubt that once Lidstrom retired and we struck out on Suter, a re-build should have happened, its such a tricky place for a franchise to be in when their team is declining especially due to a retirement or UFA departure, it actually reminds me very much of what the Toronto Raptors are going through right now with Leonard leaving in that some want them to tear it down now, some want them to see what they have, or even just replace Leonard next off season if possible.

The Abby contract was awful, no doubt. I want to be clear, I AM NOT defending that contract Holland could have easily signed him for 3 or 4 years. I agree with most of what you are saying about him with the exception of the hyperbolic parts I bolded in the last paragraph. Abby was once a good role player that could contribute here and there in the top 6. Once he signed that contract, everything changed for him, which is what it is.

I wasn't active on the red wing chat boards in 2003 so I can't personally comment on that round of dialog, only just on the timing after the last cup run. 2003 is a bit long on me to think back on in that much detail honestly not even sure if I could name the full roster from memory. To argue against a rebuild in the current time frame was to think Hudler and Nyquist were the next Daytsuk and Zetterberg and that a franchise D was coming out of Smith or Dekyser to replace Lidstrom. I don't think its fully hindsight for a lot of folks to point out the color of emperor's new clothes in that line of thinking. I like to think in 2003 I would have been poking fun at the rebuilders too. I mean that was precap when there was still a healthy Ilitch? The "reload" philosophy was still in full swing. I guess it's just interesting to learn there was a rebuilding movement in 2003. Anyway, its also interesting to have been calling out all the holland defenders back in the day but then just getting thrown in the hindsight camp on the back end. LOL Can't wait for the Abby contract to be history to put another relic from that era behind us.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Its a Michigan thing.

The excitement in the office for him even then was quite real. I was the outlier that didn't like the guy.
Do you work at Michigan State? Or for Ken Holland? :laugh:

Reactions: Gniwder

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Its a Michigan thing.

I think there is a disconnect between the hardcore wings internet fan who knows everything about the roster from top to bottom and the average casual fan who knows nothing about the cap, contracts, prospects etc. I think the response to your post somewhat proves that.

I don’t have a strong opinion of Abby either way, hate his contract of course, but I have met plenty of fans at games that love Abby. Lots of Abby jerseys in the crowd. Your post doesn’t surprise me at all.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would agree with that. Without looking under the hood I think Abby could get a lot of fans. There is nothing unlikable about the player or the person when evaluating him from the standpoint of a casual fan. Local guy with stories like proposing to his girl on the ice of the joe like a rocky movie.

Reactions: kliq

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think there is a disconnect between the hardcore wings internet fan who knows everything about the roster from top to bottom and the average casual fan who knows nothing about the cap, contracts, prospects etc. I think the response to your post somewhat proves that.

I don’t have a strong opinion of Abby either way, hate his contract of course, but I have met plenty of fans at games that love Abby. Lots of Abby jerseys in the crowd. Your post doesn’t surprise me at all.

The hardcore internet fans also struggle to grasp the complex nature of this often. While they might have a much better understanding of what they value and why, it isn't grounded in the realities of actual league business.

For instance the often talked about rebuild start time frame. The realities of this and the approval of your ownership does impact the validity of some of the arguments made. Anybody that pits that date before 12-13 the first time we even began to have those discussions can have whatever point they want. Just know you're lighting your own high paying job on fire while Mike Ilitch says no to you. Ken Holland can talk trading Filppula and Hudler, his owner has to be interested.

Also for the record one of the survivors of the regime change Ryan Martin is the capologist that advised and prices out the market value on the extensions Abby, Helm and Dekeyser all got. That is the reason I target him with my disapproval often. He jammed us up on LTIR a few times and was the money guy that helped green light the contracts we hate. I knew Yzerman liked him. While I found our pro scouting really lacking as well towards the end of Holland, I really am still worried about Martin's role. Far bigger concern than Wright was for me for instance.

Gator is what he is at this point. I hope he can turn it around but that seems incredibly unlikely. But the logic of how Gator got his money and contract, at least a significant chunk, well that guy is still here by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: kliq

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Bert is only as good as his linemates, if Zadina or any of the other prospects drops him down to the second or third line his production is going to suffer. Anything over $5M would be overpayment that he won't be able to live up to, especially on an RFA contract.

FWIW, the 1st 1/3 of the season Bertuzzi was playing on the 3rd and 4th lines with crap offensive line mates and was playing at about a 40-45 point/82 game pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad