Who would you choose 1st overall? (non Oiler fans)

Oilmageddon*

Sharks fan - Adam Larsson.

Some quality players around but to me, guys with the potential to be franchise blueliners like him are harder to trade for, so you draft them. Perhaps over simplistic view, but it's how I read it.
Please name me the Franchise center's that have been obtained by trades. Then I will Post all the allstar and franchise dman aquired in trades in the last Ten Years. Eagerly waiting your response :)

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
No way it's Couturier. With sub-average skating, the lieklihood of him becoiming more than a good NHL player seems to me to be speculative. If it had been 2003, it would have been different. I subscribe to the "dominant center rather defenseman" logic, but to me Larsson just seems the obvious choice. He does everything well, has taken his game to a very high level very early and there's no reason why he shouldn't become the kind of denseman who does everything very well.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Larsson for me.

He has the overall poise with and without the puck. He has the physical tools to succeed and still room to grow. He's got elite offensive skill upside (for defenders) and great defensive upside.

Larsson has the ability to become a legit franchise defender for the Oilers for life. Defenders like that don't just come around every day. They should take Larsson and run with him.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Please name me the Franchise center's that have been obtained by trades. Then I will Post all the allstar and franchise dman aquired in trades in the last Ten Years. Eagerly waiting your response :)

I never said centres - I made the assumption regarding forwards. I also never said it was easy :)

I just personally feel it's an issue of scarcity, I'm sure others will disagree. Guys like Thornton, Richards, Heatley have been traded in their prime and mid-contract rather than deadline rental +re-signs but I'm sure you'll correct me with your list. For me, it's a combination of trades and free agency and I just feel there's fewer options on defense.

Remember too, I am thinking with a Sharks hat on and we most definitely have a greater need on D than we do on F. :)

AStammer7*

OIlers Will Take RNH Because 2012...

RNH, let him develop a few years and pick up a few more lottery picks and take a defenseman next draft.

The Oilers have Nugent-Hopkins penciled as their top centre down the road and will be put with Hall and Paarjarvi to make a potential all-star line. It's a helluva start. Then with the selection acquired from the Kings(19th) they take a D-men that falls to them(Klefbom,Seimens,Brodin) or they continue with the rebuid on the offensive front and take D-men galore next year (2012) where the stock of prospects is flush with near ready-made players(Reinhart,Trouba,Dumba,Ebert,Pouliot,Murray, and maybe AGudbranson,Koekoek,and Reilly). Another option might be that the Oilers take 'tender John Gigson at 19 if the Hawks haven't snatched him up. That would rattle some NHL teams!

Pyke*

Gretzky.
Lindros.
Forsberg.
Sundin.
Thornton.
Yashin.
B. Richards.
Briere.
Drury.

I'm sure there's more.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
For the Hawks

Larsson or Landeskog would be my choice.

I would talk to the team that has #2 overall and would trade down. Take the extra 2nd Rounder and Draft the guy thats left.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
I think either RNH or Larsson would be solid picks.

If you go with Larsson- that's probably not bad, as this year's center depth past RNH/Couturier/Strome/Herpaderp isn't as bad as this year's defensive depth past Larsson/Murphy/Hamilton/Siemens. Pick Larsson 1st, grab a guy like McNeil, Miller, Grimaldi or Catennaci with the later pick.

If you go with RNH- that's cool too, because it's not like Plante and Petry are pylons. Draft a guy like Klefbom with the second first- keep in mind that the upcoming draft after this one is money for d-men.

Gretzky.
Lindros.
Forsberg.
Sundin.
Thornton.
Yashin.
B. Richards.
Briere.
Drury.

I'm sure there's more.

This didn't work out well for the New York teams.

Pyke*

I think either RNH or Larsson would be solid picks.

If you go with Larsson- that's probably not bad, as this year's center depth past RNH/Couturier/Strome/Herpaderp isn't as bad as this year's defensive depth past Larsson/Murphy/Hamilton/Siemens. Pick Larsson 1st, grab a guy like McNeil, Miller, Grimaldi or Catennaci with the later pick.

If you go with RNH- that's cool too, because it's not like Plante and Petry are pylons. Draft a guy like Klefbom with the second first- keep in mind that the upcoming draft after this one is money for d-men.

This didn't work out well for the New York teams.

Yashin for Spezza straight up would not have been that bad, absent Yashin's character issues, he was a bona fide #1 center - and my point still stands.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I need some clarification on Larsson's projection: is he supposed to be a top-pairing defenseman or a franchise defenseman? If he's a franchise D-man, then it should be a damn hard choice between him and RNH, since franchise D-men are pretty much never traded. I do believe that franchise D-men can drastically alter a team's fortunes faster than any other type of player.

Pyke*

I need some clarification on Larsson's projection: is he supposed to be a top-pairing defenseman or a franchise defenseman? If he's a franchise D-man, then it should be a damn hard choice between him and RNH, since franchise D-men are pretty much never traded. I do believe that franchise D-men can drastically alter a team's fortunes faster than any other type of player.

Different scouts have different opinions?

Assume top 4 defender on the low end, on the high end franchise cornerstone. Maybe not as likely to reach that ceiling as some prospects?

RNH is the kind of player where, high end potential is 100 point superstar center, low end is not in the league. It's kind of why Couturier (6'4/outstanding defensively) gets talked about in the same sentence as RNH occasionally... those teams are likely more risk adverse. Couturier is much less likely to be a 100 point center than RNH - but Couturier's "downside" if you will is a 60-70 point center who can play both ways.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Assume top 4 defender on the low end, on the high end franchise cornerstone. Maybe not as likely to reach that ceiling as some prospects?

RNH is the kind of player where, high end potential is 100 point superstar center, low end is not in the league. It's kind of why Couturier (6'4/outstanding defensively) gets talked about in the same sentence as RNH occasionally... those teams are likely more risk adverse. Couturier is much less likely to be a 100 point center than RNH - but Couturier's "downside" if you will is a 60-70 point center who can play both ways.

I dunno, I like going for home runs so I'd take RNH over Couturier, but Larsson is intriguing. If I were Montreal, I'd take RNH since we already have Subban and (hopefully) Markov, but for Edmonton, they could use both equally.

Pyke*

I dunno, I like going for home runs so I'd take RNH over Couturier, but Larsson is intriguing. If I were Montreal, I'd take RNH since we already have Subban and (hopefully) Markov, but for Edmonton, they could use both equally.

Home runs are great - but the major knock on RNH is for a 1st round pick, he has major bust potential. I still see him as the BPA (because his ceiling is so good), but that's why there's debate.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
At first I was going to favour Larsson, but now it is RNH. Franchise defensemen takes years to develop and often they can be had in later rounds.

A elite center will make more of an impact unless you get luckywith a Pronger type d-man.

I trust the people in the know such as scouts and real pros rather than to make the choice.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
At first I was going to favour Larsson, but now it is RNH. Franchise defensemen takes years to develop and often they can be had in later rounds.

A elite center will make more of an impact unless you get luckywith a Pronger type d-man.

I trust the people in the know such as scouts and real pros rather than to make the choice.

I think Larsson is one of those D-men that could develop quickly, I do remember some scouts saying he was NHL ready last year. Perhaps he won't skyrocket like Doughty, but he could be solid right out of the gate.

Pyke*

Will you still trust your scouts if they do not pick RNH?

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Slvain Couturier Seans dad who was a better goal scorer than his son, Same problems all the right chasis and parts no engine. Dan Hodgson and cody Hodgson same type example junior beasts could not make the next level.

His father was a by far weaker skater. You can't even compare the two, they both said so too. Sean Couturier isn't a bad skater at all, but he's not among the fastest and when you're a top prospect you get knocked for not being a great skater. If he was a late first or a second round pick I doubt people would say that he was a bad skater.

Hodgson is only stuck behind Nucks great center depth, he would play in the NHL for like 95% of the other teams.

I'm gonna join the guys saying it's a coin-flip between Larsson and RNH.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

RNH's low end potential is not out of the league, that's crazy talk. His floor is probably a Gagner type player who is a playmaking #2C but based on everything i've heard, scouts seem pretty confident that RNH is not a high risk pick unlike what some HF posters seem to think.
Also, if Couturier's floor was a 2 way 60-70 pt center, he would be a unanimous #1 pick. I think that a lot of people are too infactuated with the size of the player as opposed to the skillset and determination of a player. From my experience in watching RNH play (about 12-13 games), he has skill and determination in spades.

Last edited:

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Gretzky.
Lindros.
Forsberg.
Sundin.
Thornton.
Yashin.
B. Richards.
Briere.
Drury.

I'm sure there's more.
So going back 23 years there have been 10(and some are debatable franchise players). Pronger alone has been traded 3 times since 2005.

RNH for me. Worst case scenario he's a good 2nd line C, but I see him becoming a star #1 C, maybe not a Datsyuk level player, but I think he has a good shot at becoming a Brad Richards level player in his prime. He's a fantastic skater with elite vision, he's super shifty, he's a very good puck handler, he has a hard and accurate wrister that he releases quickly, basically just a stud in terms of offensive skills. Sure he's a bit skinny at the moment (though height wise he's fine, so will hopefully fill out), and he sometimes isn't as dominant 5 on 5 as you'd like, but he looks to have clearly the most star potential to me. The way I see it, the other 1st overall options seem to me like semi long shots to become true stars, most look more like just solid players (Larsson seems like he'll be more of an Ohlund type, Landeskog seems like a rich man's Andrew Ladd, Couturier maybe a Travis Zajac), while RNH seem to have the tools/ability to become a true star on the level of someone like Brad Richards. At 1st overall I'm not settling for just a solid player, I want a star, and RNH seems more like a star to me than any of the other candidates.

Amen.

Pyke*

So going back 23 years there have been 10(and some are debatable franchise players). Pronger alone has been traded 3 times since 2005.

I'm sure there's more - I was going on memory alone.

As to Pronger, exception not the rule.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
If I'm the oilers, I trade down to number 2 and draft the one that isn't drafted between Larsson and Nuge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad