Who would you choose 1st overall? (non Oiler fans)

Eaglepride*

better question should be not named RNH cause hes obvious.

Larsson
Landeskog
Couturier

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
better question should be not named RNH cause hes obvious.

Larsson
Landeskog
Couturier

You'd think it would be obvious, based upon everything that all the scouting services and individual scouts have said, but look at the responses in this thread.

I'm not sure if it's honest opinion, wanting to be different, or a sour grapes mentality since the Oilers have the first overall pick.

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
I'd have to pick Larsson or Couturier.

Either a potential Norris candidate, big, great passing, solid in his own zone. The kind of player to build on the back-end. The concept of build from the net out, he is the pick.

Or Couturier, a solid two-way center. Both offensively talented, and strong enough on the puck in both zones where he could carry a team not just offensively.

For some reason I don't see RNH as a NHL star. I know scouts do, and they see him much more often then I do, and they know what to look for. But I just don't like someone with so few goals and so many points on the powerplay as the number 1 pick. He got contained too easily against Medicine Hat, and in the NHL he won't be able to make the cutsy play, and I don't know how well he will be able to make the simple play.

arsmaster*

For the Oilers - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

BPA - has a certain elusive quality as well as the ability to be where the puck is going, not where it is.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Oilers will take Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 100% sure of it. I'm not saying this is the correct route: I'm dead serious when I say that anyone in the top 10 could end up being the best player. Look at me: this is my serious face :arr:

Heck, maybe someone taken early in round 2 could be the best. Never had that feeling with 2008 (Stamkos and Doughty), 2009 (Tavares and Duchene) and 2010 (Hall and Seguin), who I felt were clearly a notch above everyone else in terms of talent and potential. In this draft, no one seems to have quite that "9" potential to me as of today. There are a couple of those next year, however (Nail Yakupov and Ryan Murray).

Oilmageddon*

Not named RNH? Couturier is who I'd go for

Pop quiz for ya Who is this player Centerman in his Last 2 seasons he had 90- 137 pts 70 goals his last junior year good shot tough could win battles good at faceoffs. Only one problem he had he was not a great skater. So he played only 33 games in the nhl . But was a great minor player puting up 5o goals in only 66 games and 90 plus point season.Why could this 6'2 215lb player not excell at the nhl level like he did in the junior or the minors. Do you know who this guy is?

Oroku Saki*

RNH, let him develop a few years and pick up a few more lottery picks and take a defenseman next draft.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Pop quiz for ya Who is this player Centerman in his Last 2 seasons he had 90- 137 pts 70 goals his last junior year good shot tough could win battles good at faceoffs. Only one problem he had he was not a great skater. So he played only 33 games in the nhl . But was a great minor player puting up 5o goals in only 66 games and 90 plus point season.Why could this 6'2 215lb player not excell at the nhl level like he did in the junior or the minors. Do you know who this guy is?

Bosignore?

Anyways, the bust potential is a lot higher for RNH.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Bosignore?

I definitely think of him when it comes to busts, but Bonsignore never came close to that if I can recall. Also, he was actually a good skater. His lack of success had nothing to do with skill, skating or shot: his heart was the main culprit.

Oilmageddon*

Bosignore?

Slvain Couturier Seans dad who was a better goal scorer than his son, Same problems all the right chasis and parts no engine. Dan Hodgson and cody Hodgson same type example junior beasts could not make the next level.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Slvain Couturier Seans dad who was a better goal scorer than his son, Same problems all the right chasis and parts no engine. Dan Hodgson and cody Hodgson same type example junior beasts could not make the next level.

Sean isn't a bad skater though, sure his stride is kind fugly and perhaps he's not dynamic skating-wise but it isn't a huge issue like his father's was. Plus, he has a high level of hockey sense as well as good vision to boot, if he has the heart and mindset to get better he will be an excellent player.

Look at John Tavares: not a great skater either, and on top of that he doesn't have Couturier's size to offset that, yet everything we've seen thus far in two NHL seasons and two World Championships indicate that Tavares will be a franchise centreman sooner rather than later because he WANTS it.

Oilmageddon*

Sean isn't a bad skater though, sure his stride is kind fugly and perhaps he's not dynamic skating-wise but it isn't a huge issue like his father's was. Plus, he has a high level of hockey sense as well as good vision to boot, if he has the heart and mindset to get better he will be an excellent player.

Look at John Tavares: not a great skater either, and on top of that he doesn't have Couturier's size to offset that, yet everything we've seen thus far in two NHL seasons and two World Championships indicate that Tavares will be a franchise centreman sooner rather than later because he WANTS it.
Thats all fine and dandy but I will take the great skater who has incredible hockey sense and vision that has not been seen in 20 years.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Thats all fine and dandy but I will take the great skater who has incredible hockey sense and vision that has not been seen in 20 years.

Wait, I hope you're talking about Sidney Crosby.........RNH is good, very good, but if his vision was that good then he would've been the projected No. 1 guy four years ago.

Oilmageddon*

Wait, I hope you're talking about Sidney Crosby.........RNH is good, very good, but if his vision was that good then he would've been the projected No. 1 guy four years ago.
Where have you been scouts have compared his vision to be the best since Gretzky. These are not my quotes and he is number 1 on all reputable scouting services.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Where have you been scouts have compared his vision to be the best since Gretzky. These are not my quotes and he is number 1 on all reputable scouting services.

Not all scouts said he has the best vision since Gretzky, in fact only one person did, and no one's even sure of who it is, only that the person is someone high in the Edmonton ranks. Don't get me wrong, it's obvious Nugent-Hopkins has some of the best vision of any prospect in some time, I haven't been anywhere, but to suggest it's better than Crosby's vision based on one source is a stretch.

Oilmageddon*

Not all scouts said he has the best vision since Gretzky, in fact only one person did, and no one's even sure of who it is, only that the person is someone high in the Edmonton ranks. Don't get me wrong, it's obvious Nugent-Hopkins has some of the best vision of any prospect in some time, I haven't been anywhere, but to suggest it's better than Crosby's vision based on one source is a stretch.
RNH and Vision go together Crosby has good great vision but is great at every aspect shooting skating pure determination. More than one scout has mentioned this because they might rate his vision better than Crosby does not say he is a better player. You must be a penguin fan. Oates was a better passer than Lemieux Imo does that make him a better player ? hell no because you are the Best player in the World and Imo Crosby is it does not make him the best in every skill category does it? I have watched this game for 41 years and I will tell ya I have watched Rnh numerous times and I know what they are talking about. ALL WORLD VISION ELITE TO THE MAX.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
RNH and Vision go together Crosby has good great vision but is great at every aspect shooting skating pure determination. More than one scout has mentioned this because they might rate his vision better than Crosby does not say he is a better player. You must be a penguin fan. Oates was a better passer than Lemieux Imo does that make him a better player ? hell no because you are the Best player in the World and Imo Crosby is it does not make him the best in every skill category does it? I have watched this game for 41 years and I will tell ya I have watched Rnh numerous times and I know what they are talking about. ALL WORLD VISION ELITE TO THE MAX.

Nope, I'm a Habs fan, with an ironic soft side for the Bruins. As someone who has been able to watch games from both conferences equally, I can say this much: Crosby is so wired in that he knows exactly where the puck is going at all times to the dot. I get chills every time he takes a pass from someone behind him, without looking, and is able to adjust his stick position without even looking down, as if he knew the puck was going to in EXACTLY that little speck of the ice.

I kinda get your Adam Oates argument, but that doesn't change my opinion, this thing of RNH having better vision than Crosby isn't something scouts have said, in fact the only person that essentially said that with the Gretzky quote was the guy in the Oilers hierarchy. I'll admit to needing to see RNH more, I've only seen him play three times, and he was excellent each time, but I actually think you're slightly underestimating a player that was on pace to put 70 assists and 132 points with Chris Kunitz as his best scoring winger this season.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

There's actually a video of the Colorado Avalanche discussing this years draft and one of their scouts said RNH had the best vision of any player he's seen in 20 years. So that would make 2 scouts now.

edit: found the video http://video.avalanche.nhl.com/videocenter/console (entitled Avalanche pre-draft special). Nugent Hopkins is discussed at around the 12:00 minute mark. The scout was Don Paarup- actualy said "See's the ice as well as anyone I've seen in 20 years."

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Either way, enough with this, i'll admit to getting a bit off topic myself.

RNH will probably be the no. 1 guy, I do know that the Oilers brass love him, and why wouldn't they? He will need to develop physically before he plays in the NHL in my opinion, though, in order to avoid injury, so another year of junior wouldn't hurt Furthermore, it would probably be for the best for the Oilers not to have him for a full year, it would slightly increase their chances at another lottery pick wherein the Oil can select the final piece of their puzzle and take one of Ryan Murray, Nick Ebert or Jacob Trouba.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
There's actually a video of the Colorado Avalanche discussing this years draft and one of their scouts said RNH had the best vision of any player he's seen in 20 years. So that would make 2 scouts now.

edit: found the video http://video.avalanche.nhl.com/videocenter/console (entitled Avalanche pre-draft special). Nugent Hopkins is discussed at around the 12:00 minute mark. The scout was Don Paarup- actualy said "See's the ice as well as anyone I've seen in 20 years."

Two scouts is twice as good as one, thanks for the vid.

Oilmageddon*

Nope, I'm a Habs fan, with an ironic soft side for the Bruins. As someone who has been able to watch games from both conferences equally, I can say this much: Crosby is so wired in that he knows exactly where the puck is going at all times to the dot. I get chills every time he takes a pass from someone behind him, without looking, and is able to adjust his stick position without even looking down, as if he knew the puck was going to in EXACTLY that little speck of the ice.

I kinda get your Adam Oates argument, but that doesn't change my opinion, this thing of RNH having better vision than Crosby isn't something scouts have said, in fact the only person that essentially said that with the Gretzky quote was the guy in the Oilers hierarchy. I'll admit to needing to see RNH more, I've only seen him play three times, and he was excellent each time, but I actually think you're slightly underestimating a player that was on pace to put 70 assists and 132 points with Chris Kunitz as his best scoring winger this season.
The habs were my favorite Nhl teams but the Oilers were my favorite going back to the Wha so when Edmonton entered the NHL Habs played second fiddle. But I will tell you I was A very spoiled fan got to watch a superstar in Lafleur and the 1970 mpontreal dynasty right into the Gretzky Dynasty. So I hear ya I have a soft spots for the Habs. And I think Crosby is the best player in the world so I do not see how I under estimate him . Any how thx for the mature debate it is refreshing.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
Players might not always be the best scouts, but in an interview with Landeskog he said he would pick RNH as #1 in this draft.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Sharks fan - Adam Larsson.

Some quality players around but to me, guys with the potential to be franchise blueliners like him are harder to trade for, so you draft them. Perhaps over simplistic view, but it's how I read it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->