Who would you choose 1st overall? (non Oiler fans)

boopronger

Aug 13, 2008
Id be very tempted to take Couturier. His coach was talking about how he had mono all year and was exhausted for a lot of the games. Mono can take a lot out of someone. And he still put up points. It would have been scary to see what he could do being fully healthy.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Larsson first by a mile and Couturier second. Would not be shocked to see them trade down a few spots.

I would. Our Head Scout has been very good, why take the decision out of his hands and potentially get the guy you have 2nd-5th on your list when you can get your top guy?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Hey guys, what scouting service do y'all work for? From every single service that has been updated recently, I've only seen RNH 1st. If you guys could provide links to the scouting services you work for, that would be great. I'm not totally sold on RNH and I'd like to see some other perspectives.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Sean Couturier

I would try to make a trade for established talent, there have been better drafts to have 1st overall. If that wasn't possible, I would trade down in the top 6 and pick up another 1st. In this draft I see the value of the pick itself being placed higher than the player you can get with that pick.

Edit: Assuming no trades, Couturier.

I think Couturier has the best chance of being the best player, and is the safest bet to be a top line center. Not saying someone else might not end up better (same would be said for all prospects), but that's who I'd take.

He's been the top point producer and best offensive player in this draft class for two straight years. Think about that in the context of draft history.

Look at other guys who were dominant a year before their draft year, and most of their production only went up a bit in their draft year. Specifically, guys like Crosby (17%), Stamkos (15%) and Hall (8%) all saw modest production gains versus their draft year peers, many of whom more than doubled their production. But it didn't mean they weren't the right "first pick". A guy like Tavares' production actually dropped in his draft year, and he likely only saved his 1st overall status with a stellar WJC (but not without argument).

For Couturier, his production increased by 17% this year on a ppg basis, despite having a worse team and mono to start the year. All this, and he was still the top ppg player in the enture CHL (let alone his draft class). Everyone says their are concerns about upside, and having watched him, I don't get it. He is a dominant player.

I know people point at numbers, but offensive players are defined by production, and there have been none better than Couturier. As such, and based on watching him play, I think he's the safest bet to be a premiere offensive centerman. There is no way this guys development has plateaud, anymore than it did for Crosby, Stamkos, Hall or Tavares in their draft years.

I'd draft Couturier, just have this feeling...

Couturier just seems like he would be the best fit. His two-way game complements Hall and Eberle giving them more freedom offensively. On top of which he has good vision, size and passing so it's not like he's an offensive slouch either.

Couturier or RNH. I like RNH's offensive skills, but his size is a bit concerning. Couturier has the full package and I love his size and defensive skills. Toss up.

Couturier easily, going to be the best player from this draft

Couturier. Ideally, i'd look to trade down a couple spots if possible to grab him, but since this says 'no trades'...i'd just take him at #1. When you hear people down on him and you get the 'Jordan Staal' comments and the 'low ceiling' type things, it doesn't really worry me. To be honest, i think a Jordan Staal type would be a great fit between Eberle and Hall on the Oilers top line. The size and defensive acumen Couturier coud bring to that line would make it better as a whole...and i still think a lot of people are discounting Couturier's offensive upside far too much. So it seems like a relatively 'safe' pick, with a ton of upside. I'm a big fan of that.

RNH is enticing with the skill he shows, but the size is definitely a concern for me...in that sitation. I'm all for BPA to an extent, but at some point you do have to consider team needs and the situation a player will fit into, especially when there is no surefire consensus BPA.

Couturier. two back to back 100 point seasons (well almost) he has the size and plays a solid two way game. a clear number 1 center

he's my pick as well...

I'd have to pick Larsson or Couturier.

Either a potential Norris candidate, big, great passing, solid in his own zone. The kind of player to build on the back-end. The concept of build from the net out, he is the pick.

Or Couturier, a solid two-way center. Both offensively talented, and strong enough on the puck in both zones where he could carry a team not just offensively.

For some reason I don't see RNH as a NHL star. I know scouts do, and they see him much more often then I do, and they know what to look for. But I just don't like someone with so few goals and so many points on the powerplay as the number 1 pick. He got contained too easily against Medicine Hat, and in the NHL he won't be able to make the cutsy play, and I don't know how well he will be able to make the simple play.

Sean couterier probably but huberdeau would also be great. RNH would be 3rd on my list. Just very small imo. Larrson might be the best pick for edmonton tho

Larsson first by a mile and Couturier second. Would not be shocked to see them trade down a few spots.

Id be very tempted to take Couturier. His coach was talking about how he had mono all year and was exhausted for a lot of the games. Mono can take a lot out of someone. And he still put up points. It would have been scary to see what he could do being fully healthy.

Sean Couturier

Sean Couturier ahead of everyone in this draft. I predict a 130+ pts season for him next year in the Q..that is if he returns.

:laugh:

This is why we are fans and not scouts. I didn't even bother to highlight everyone saying that Larsson was either a clear #1 or #2 right behind RNH. If that were the case, he wouldn't have dropped to #4, regardless of team needs.

I see a lot of people saying Larsson and I am almost willing to bet Larsson is not a top 3 pick.

Nicely done.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
:laugh:

This is why we are fans and not scouts. I didn't even bother to highlight everyone saying that Larsson was either a clear #1 or #2 right behind RNH. If that were the case, he wouldn't have dropped to #4, regardless of team needs.

Just because Larsson or Couturier didn't get drafted in the top 2 doesn't mean they won't be the best player(s) in the draft.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Just because Larsson or Couturier didn't get drafted in the top 2 doesn't mean they won't be the best player(s) in the draft.
Anything can happen but it's safe to say that based on what we know right now it would be a surprise. A player that could be the best player in the draft usually doesn't go 8th overall. People saying they would take him 1st overall were probably over valuing his size and ignoring that is overall offensive skills just wasn't quite on the same level as a guy like RNH or Huberdeau.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Larsson...top 2 dmen dont grow on trees and it fits EDM's biggest need....kid is gonna be a friggin stud

Nugent-Hopkins... #1 centers don't grow on trees and its fits EDM's biggest need... kid is gonna be a friggin stud :sarcasm:

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Nugent-Hopkins... #1 centers don't grow on trees and its fits EDM's biggest need... kid is gonna be a friggin stud :sarcasm:
I don't know why people say defense is our biggest weakness. It's definitely weak but we have almost no one down the middle. Gagner should be a legit 2nd line center but after that there is Horcoff(not getting any younger), Cogliano(should be a winger), Brule(would be bought out if healthy), Lander/Pitlick(project to be 3rd liners) and then O'Marra and Vande Velde(project to be 4th line/fringe NHLers).

On defense they have Whitney, Smid and Peckham already in the NHL. Then there is Marincin, Petry, Teubert and now Klefbom. All 4 of those players project to be at worst 2nd pairing Dmen. Will they pan out? Who knows but there is definitely more depth on defense than at center.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'll stick with what I said earlier in this thread:

RNH for me. Worst case scenario he's a good 2nd line C, but I see him becoming a star #1 C, maybe not a Datsyuk level player, but I think he has a good shot at becoming a Brad Richards level player in his prime. He's a fantastic skater with elite vision, he's super shifty, he's a very good puck handler, he has a hard and accurate wrister that he releases quickly, basically just a stud in terms of offensive skills. Sure he's a bit skinny at the moment (though height wise he's fine, so will hopefully fill out), and he sometimes isn't as dominant 5 on 5 as you'd like, but he looks to have clearly the most star potential to me. The way I see it, the other 1st overall options seem to me like semi long shots to become true stars, most look more like just solid players (Larsson seems like he'll be more of an Ohlund type, Landeskog seems like a rich man's Andrew Ladd, Couturier maybe a Travis Zajac), while RNH seem to have the tools/ability to become a true star on the level of someone like Brad Richards. At 1st overall I'm not settling for just a solid player, I want a star, and RNH seems more like a star to me than any of the other candidates.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
i would go rnh
he is the least nhl ready and this should help them finish lower next season with no playoff asperations worst is first
maybe next years will be nhl ready and you get
3rd year hall
rnh eberly 3rd year
and new guy probly forward
that talent should come together and put edmonton middle of the pact and only getting better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad