Who would you choose 1st overall? (non Oiler fans)

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Either Larsson, the most NHL-ready defenseman of the bunch, or Landeskog, the most NHL-ready forward of the bunch. The Oilers need more talent that can start to help immediately.

Because we're ready to make a push for the playoffs next season?

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
He won't be able to catch up with them.

Couturier isn't slow, he's just not as fast as Strome, Huberdeau or RNH. There is a huge difference there, Couturier didn't have any trouble keeping up with his line mates in the WJC. Some scouts say he needs to improve his skating and all of a sudden people are saying he's slow as dirt and can't keep up.

I personally would pick RNH if I were in Tambellini's shoes. The oil don't need more players to put the puck in the net like Couturier, RNH's playmaking ability is too hard to pass up.

Pyke*

I've argued for RNH all season - though from Ottawa's point of view, who has no need for someone like Larsson. I still think RNH is the BPA, but I would not be shocked to see Larsson go #1 Overall either.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He won't be able to catch up with them.

Thankfully for Couturier (and Gretzky, Lemieux and Fosberg before him), centermen don't really have to chase their wingers down. It's kind of the opposite, actually.

Not to mention Couturier is a much better skater at the same age versus a guy like Spezza. I suspect his top gear will be above average in the NHL within 5 years, just like Spezza's became over time. He has a nice big stride. Straight off the mark, his acceleration will never be elite or what RNH's is, but that is not a requirement of an elite centerman. Most of the big top centers in the game today (Getzlaf, Staal, Spezza, Lecavalier, H Sedin, Malkin, Thornton etc.) are not that fast out of the gate. Overall, Couturier's skaing compares similarly to most of that above group at the same age. Not to mention most scouts don't see that as a limitation to his game, either.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
hmm interesting, even though many think there is no consensus number 1 many still think hopkins is the guy. personally i wont be all that bothered by whoever it is, if your scouts and management put all this time and effort in then whoever you take obviously has some great assets

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'd honestly trade down to 5 and pick up another first rounder. Not because RNH isn't good, but because I think that any player (RNH, Landeskog, Larsson, Couturier, Huberdeau) in that top 5 group would be an amazing addition. And I believe that we have to wait and see in this group. I think in the top 10, we can't really know who will be go on to be the best. At least in this draft.

the word*

It's nice to see so many closet Oiler' fans giving us so much good advice. ;)

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Couturier isn't slow, he's just not as fast as Strome, Huberdeau or RNH. There is a huge difference there, Couturier didn't have any trouble keeping up with his line mates in the WJC. Some scouts say he needs to improve his skating and all of a sudden people are saying he's slow as dirt and can't keep up.

I personally would pick RNH if I were in Tambellini's shoes. The oil don't need more players to put the puck in the net like Couturier, RNH's playmaking ability is too hard to pass up.

He has heavy feet and a slow first step. So he will have to pass to Hall and THEN catch up to him.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
I'd choose Larsson, based on team needs. RNH isn't a bad choice though.

Polak

Mar 4, 2011
Larsson for the Flyers. We need a top young d-man in our system.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Boston was picking #1, I would be very tempted to take Couturier. Landeskog would be my second choice. It sounds loco but I don't like taking defensemen that high and I'm too impatient for RNH.

If I'm the Oilers, probably RNH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad